Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on September 04, 2017, 12:43:09 AM

DAM Quicks are quite a bit cheaper than booze!

Best,

Fred

Yes they are.
They also wont bring pain & suffering to those that love me most, worrying about me.
There are roads I've traveled in my life that I just dont believe I'll travel again. Not today.   
The pain from my past has in a twisted way helped me cherish & enjoy the things I like doing with a focused clarity.  My son, Luke, the river & reels like these Quicks from a by gone era that can work as well & in most cases better than any thing being made today..... God Is Good....Jeff 

foakes

Good outlook & good observations, Jeff --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rivverrat

4 Supers, 2 are line counters, one looks to have never been fished with box & tag. They are Bait shop finds.
One never knows unless you ask

festus

Got these three for 16 bucks.

Front left, a 220N, pretty good shape, all parts there but rear real seat is chipped but will mount cleanly on a rod. Works well. $8.

Front right, a 550N that was given to me free, Fred coached me into repairing the biggest problems, it still needs a bail spring and a cover cap.

The reel in back is a Finessa.  No numbers on the side plates but I think it's approximately the size of a 330.  Needs a cover cap and nothing else as far as I can tell.  $8.

Rivverrat

Festus, you did good.
The Finessa is the same size as the 330. It's the predecessor to this reel. It's the same same size. Some of the earlier Finesse reels had aluminum spools.

These spools work fine on the 330 reels & as Fred says they make a great upgrade.... Enjoy those reels...Jeff

festus

This reel has an aluminum spool.  What lb test line is recommended for this reel? l thought 12 lb test, but l didn't have any, so l spooled it with 14 lb test mono.

There are no serial numbers on the bottom of the reel foot.  I tried dating it by this webpage but can't pinpoint it.

http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html

....l suppose it's at least 50 years old? 

foakes

About 61 years of age -- 1956.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Thanks for the info, Fred.  Even though it's 61 years old, l'm still going to put it to use on the rivers.  lt's perfect size chunkin' cut shad or cut bluegill for channel cats and throwing bucktails and Wild Eyed Shad swimbaits for stripers at the dam tailwaters.

The next to the oldest reel l still use is a 1953 Mitchell 300 (year l was born).

Midway Tommy

Since it doesn't have a serial #, the side plates are crinkle paint, it has a fold down aluminum handle with the ball shaped joint and it has the larger black torpedo type knob I'd say it is 1964ish vintage. '65 had a chromed handle and the earlier '50s models had smooth black side covers and flat plastic handle knobs.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 11, 2017, 04:07:44 AM
Since it doesn't have a serial #, the side plates are crinkle paint, it has a fold down aluminum handle with the ball shaped joint and it has the larger black torpedo type knob I'd say it is 1964ish vintage. '65 had a chromed handle and the earlier '50s models had smooth black side covers and flat plastic handle knobs.

Yep, I think I transposed the numbers --

Thanks, Tommy!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Spotted this gem  ,could not resist  5.00 for the lot..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

theswimmer

Great find Joe.
Let's see pics of the inside........
$5 bucks, what a bargain!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

handyandy

5 bucks was a steel I would have snapped it up too

oldmanjoe

found this orphan   Looks like a little electrolysis on the rotor "paint missing on both side of the rotor .  i don`t think the chrome is going to make it .
  In the tub now  ,we`ll see
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare