Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan S

Congratulations! Great shopping!
Like New! New one!!!

thorhammer

BCT7

I just bought a DQ 550 online. The external is in decent condition but need to clean it up. Previous owner had open it up, I can see the screws has some marking from screwdriver so that is kinda disappointing. Hopefully the internal is in good shape. I am looking forward to use it fishing for catfish and carp. One of my other reel is a DQ 3001 from my dad, which peek my interest in DAM reels. I have couple questions here...
- If I want to touch up the paint, is there a spray can paint that would match the factory paint? Or maybe I should just clean, scuff it up and repaint everything? The chrome in handle is bubbling so I definitely want to do something about that.
- Is there anything that I can do to make the spool looks better. It is plastic and has faded to grey.
- I only fish in freshwater. Do I need to get reel grease and oil to work on this? Not trying to sound cheap lol but trying to not buy something that I only use one time and it will just take up space. I have mobil 1 oil, mobil 1 synthetic grease (red) and some generic blue marine grease (I think Walmart brand) in my garage. Can I use one these? I also have synthetic transmission fluids but that is probably too thin?
- Lastly, what size punch do I need to remove the handle?

Picture is after I did some scrubbing because it was just nasty and smell bad lol. I am planning to do some more scrubbing and cleaning later.

Thanks
Chris

theswimmer

Great scores Tommy and Chris .
Fished one of my Supers yesterday at Pescadero !
One small perch for a days work but beautiful weather.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

Jonathan!!!!   REELY???

You were in Pescadero, and you DIDN'T GIVE ME A CALL OR TEXT???

Lunch at Durate's would have been on me!!!!   Anything with Crab!!!!!

http://www.duartestavern.com/

A great lunch stop for anyone in the area,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Quote from: BCT7 on January 10, 2021, 04:07:49 AM
I just bought a DQ 550 online. The external is in decent condition but need to clean it up. Previous owner had open it up, I can see the screws has some marking from screwdriver so that is kinda disappointing. Hopefully the internal is in good shape. I am looking forward to use it fishing for catfish and carp. One of my other reel is a DQ 3001 from my dad, which peek my interest in DAM reels. I have couple questions here...
- If I want to touch up the paint, is there a spray can paint that would match the factory paint? Or maybe I should just clean, scuff it up and repaint everything? The chrome in handle is bubbling so I definitely want to do something about that.  Use VHT flat black wrinkle spray paint — I also use an oven to cure.  The handle chrome is pitted.  It can either be made smoother with abrasives (still will show, but smoother) — remove chrome and paint handle — or replace the handle.

- Is there anything that I can do to make the spool looks better. It is plastic and has faded to grey.  Penetrol works pretty well — and a soft buffing wheel afterwards.

- I only fish in freshwater. Do I need to get reel grease and oil to work on this? Not trying to sound cheap lol but trying to not buy something that I only use one time and it will just take up space. I have mobil 1 oil, mobil 1 synthetic grease (red) and some generic blue marine grease (I think Walmart brand) in my garage. Can I use one these? I also have synthetic transmission fluids but that is probably too thin?  ANY grease is better than none.  You should and can use the right types of oils and greases.  They can be purchased in smaller amounts.

- Lastly, what size punch do I need to remove the handle?  A 1/16" & a 3/32" will remove any DQ crank pin.

Picture is after I did some scrubbing because it was just nasty and smell bad lol. I am planning to do some more scrubbing and cleaning later.  It is important, IMO, to disassemble the entire reel — clean everything — burnish & buff interior mechanisms — sleeves, axles, shafts, gears, bearings, etc..

Thanks
Chris
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Wayne , you have a Pm.....

Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Ruffy

Picked up a 221 recently for cheap on gumtree. It's completely functional as is (just missing the plastic tubing on the bail arm), but I've got a semi completed 221 pretty much ready to go that will get a few parts from this and be ready in about 30 minutes!

This will be my first fishable 221, to be put into service alongside a Penn 713.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ruffy

All buttoned up and ready to fish! This was a 95% 221 I had cleaned and burnished ready to go, minus a few parts from a previously rusty life (see the 221 breakdown tute page 6).

Also shown with a glamour shot next to my shelfie 221, and finally my new bucket o' 221 parts ready for cleaning.

Cheers,
Andrew

theswimmer

Nice Andrew ,
Those reels will be still going in 50 years !
Best,
Jonathan

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Here is another one from the side of the road.
Yard sale in Davenport last Sunday.
$15 , had a spool of 40 LB Cajun Red so we spooled it up and went fishing!
Best
Jonathan

Errol Flynn

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 20, 2020, 12:04:22 AM
I don't know . With that Horrible nick in the Emblem you Might want to just let me give your money back on that . ;D

After looking at a few other Dams, it appears that little flaw, (nick) is a fairly standard "N" series hallmark.   ;) :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

dlrider

Maybe the N models is for "nick"??? :o  "Knick" I suppose.

Steelyfinn

This was one of my winter projects - trying to build a couple working super 270 reels from a box of parts reels. This was my first chance to work on a 270, and it turned to be a real history lesson on the changes in the 270 over its manufacturing run ( switch plates, bails, drive plates, trip levers, spools, etc.).  It was fun working on these big spinners, and I managed to get 3 working reels together, using the parts I had and several parts I was able to find.

Jon

foakes

Terrific work on those 270's, Jon —

Yes, you are correct —

For the 10 year run that the Supers were manufactured — various versions have different parts.  And that is not considering the LC (line counter model) or the 275 (2-Speed model).

I would challenge anyone to find a stronger, tougher, more reliable spinning reel today — even considering that these reels are 58 -68 years old — and as effective & capable today as they were when they were produced.

Thanks for showing us!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.