Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

This is an early 50's 250 Standard. Free to me from my brother, from a flea market find. Ugly to some 'cause a the gear box shape, but quite beautiful to me when I went through it. Some seriously good engineering.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

foakes

Nice find, Greg —

Looks to be in great condition. 

If anything is needed, like a pair of bail springs, or anything else — just let me know.

Possibly have the largest complete selection of new old Standard & S.W. 68 parts around.

This is the reel that put DAM Quick on the map after WWII.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Nice find, Greg. Those are neat old warhorse reels and fun to fish. I've got one of them, too. Here's another similar model I have, the Quick-O-Mat. It's basically the same reel with a line counter. Dam also made a Quick-O-Mat accessory part that could be installed to convert a 250 Standard to the line counter version.  As far as I know, though, they didn't make an accessory line counter for the 270 Super, the 270 line counters all came that way from the factory.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

I see those on ebay often. First time I saw a pic of one I thought it was an old camera, not a fishing reel

Gfish

See...

Still needa get the drag right, Fred. Then, it's so well made, I'mina haveta fish it!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

happyhooker

All nice reels, event the ones that need work; when fixed, the satisfaction will be there that something was made out of (almost) nothing.

Frank

wailua boy

I just picked up a DAM 444. I haven't actually heard much/anything about this reel but am quite pleased with it. Here's a few pics

Alto Mare

Interesting reel wailua boy, thanks for showing it opened... enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wailua boy

This SLS 4 just came in and I believe it is manufactured out of Japan. Im real happy with it, take a look

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Gfish on April 12, 2018, 10:04:03 PM
See...

Still needa get the drag right, Fred. Then, it's so well made, I'mina haveta fish it!
How did you make out with the drag on this reel , I noticed in the picture you show the bottom drag and your spool has 3 screw on the bottom of the spool.
Do you have to split it to get to the other drag washer ?       joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Fred 'er Tommy would know for sure, but I do believe the spool does split apart. The screw I circled in black marker isn't gonna come out the normal way. In the middle a the spool there's a floating keyed metal washer and I seem to missin at least one drag component(washer?).

oldmanjoe

Ok i see now that you circled a screw .    This is the first spool that i have seen were you spit it to get to the drag washer .   joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

1badf350

I found this little guy at a flea market for $4.00
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 01, 2018, 05:57:18 PM
I found this little guy at a flea market for $4.00

Four bucks very well spent. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~