Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Quote from: festus on June 01, 2018, 12:54:05 PM
I saw this nasty one on ebay for cheap a few days ago I passed. ::)

Discusting.........
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

festus

Found this near mint D.A.M. Quick 110N advertised as having a bail problem. After I took it apart, it was obvious, the brake ring was missing.  That part is simply a short piece of surgical tubing, after a good de-grease, cleaning, and reassembly, the reel works as good as new.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on June 03, 2018, 12:07:11 AM
Bravo Chester!
Fred Oakes and Midway Tommy coached me through my first encounter with the bail system of an N series reell six or eight months ago.  Looked almost impossible at first try, piece of cake now.

Midway Tommy

Way to go Chester! I've found that vinyl tubing works best for those bail trip pads. That DQ 1001 NIB I bought for $5.00 a few years back had that pad missing. I couldn't believe that was the only reason the guy sold it, he had no idea what was wrong other than the bail didn't work. His loss was my big gain, I guess. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Quote from: festus on June 02, 2018, 11:45:45 PM
... after a good de-grease, cleaning, and reassembly, the reel works as good as new.

And looks as good as new too.

Frank

wailua boy

This one came in real dirty but cleaned up ok. It features a peticoat spool and a rear drag system.

festus

Quote from: wailua boy on June 25, 2018, 07:06:02 AM
This one came in real dirty but cleaned up ok. It features a peticoat spool and a rear drag system.
It says Made In Germany, betcha it's a good one.  Reminds me of the Quantums, Daiwas, and Shimanos of the 1980s with rear drag.

handyandy

wow how did you come by that dam it looks awesome.

wailua boy

Quote from: handyandy on June 28, 2018, 04:18:53 PM

Thanks. I actually found it on the big auction site. Most the reels ive shown ive been the only bidder on.

theswimmer

Quote from: wailua boy on July 02, 2018, 06:27:37 PM
Quote from: handyandy on June 28, 2018, 04:18:53 PM

Thanks. I actually found it on the big auction site. Most the reels ive shown ive been the only bidder on.

Sometimes you hit right.
I got a very nice Super off the big site last year that I was the only bidder.
$15 bucks.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

festus

This is the first N series high speed model I ever seen, a 441N.  It was fairly clean, scratched quite a bit, reeling was a little stiff, I didn't do a full overhaul because the bail assembly was working fine as is.  Touched up the scratched areas with a black Sharpie, which is a temporary fix.  These are good sized reels but surprisingly light.

mo65

A sharpie marker is the DAM Quick's best friend. Great score Chester! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

D-A-M didn't make a 441, but I'm beginning to like these N series.  These high speed N models can be switched from left hand to right hand retrieve.  The anti-reverse setup isn't as good as the earlier models but I've only had a problem with one, the 550N.  It's tedious the first time or two to rebuild the bail assembly, but is pretty easy now. 

wailua boy

Does anyone collect their lures?