Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

I consider the year 1980 to be the cut off for the high quality Dam Quick Reels. 

Ruffy

My first ever DAM Quick, a 221. I'm blaming the Ohana, this could turn into a bad Dam habit... I saw it cheap and couldn't say no though.

The handle is warped, I don't think it is the original? I'll see if I can straighten it out. The bail doesn't automatically close when winding either, I am hoping it's just gummed up and will sort itself out with a clean.

First stop is the hardware store for a pin punch set, then I'll tear it down, clean it up, polish the spool and get it fishing with some carbontex installed. I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about  ;D

foakes

It appears to be a 221, since the stand length from body to foot seems like 1/4" longer than a 220.

So someone likely changed out the crank as you said.

To verify it is a 221 — if the rotor makes just under (5) rotations per handle rotation — it is a 221 with the incorrect crank.  If (3) times — it is a 220 with a switched out badge.

However, the most common solution would have been to replace something that got bent out cranked — the original handle.

Spinning reel parts that are commonly at risk are the bail, crank, and spool —since they protrude from the reel.

It will clean up nice with a complete restore, new paint and lubrication.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Ruffy, dont think you'll have much luck straightening that handle. Handles here to be had if needed. Just holler... Jeff

Ruffy

Thanks Jeff and Fred for the words of encouragement. Unfortunately, once I got it apart I found out it has been flogged. It is indeed a 221, completing just under 5 rotations. But it was full of grease and rust that now has the consistency of mud, the bail arm has been bent with a few dings around the bail roller itself, the handle arm is warped and the handle bolt is bent. Turns out the issue with the bail was due to a post being broken on the rotor, which the bail catch spring connects to. I pulled it all apart and gave it a clean, considered gluing a post in or tapping the rotor and putting a grub screw in place of the post but I'd have to buy all the tools which I don't want to fork out for at the moment. I'd also have to track down a replacement handle post and arm.
The kicker for me is the spool though, with the thought of what would I use it for. The one I've got is the single disk drag stack, without the eared washer and with no room for one to make it a 3 stack. For the fish that can lurk around here I like 20-30lb braid with a bit more oomph then this can give. I'm not sure what I'll do with it at the moment, probably hold onto it and see if I come across anymore in the future which I can assemble into one good reel. Sad, I wanted to like it, I know it has the bones of a good reel, it just doesn't suit the application I'd be using it for.

Cheers,
Andrew

mo65

Quote from: Ruffy on September 28, 2018, 12:06:42 PM
The kicker for me is the spool though, with the thought of what would I use it for. The one I've got is the single disk drag stack, without the eared washer and with no room for one to make it a 3 stack. For the fish that can lurk around here I like 20-30lb braid with a bit more oomph then this can give.

Can you post a pic of that drag stack? I've never seen a single disc drag for the 221. My 221 has the 2 friction disc set up, as pictured in these photos from Fred's 221 tutorial.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

The Man in the High Castle S01 E08, opening scene

is that a 330 mounted on a baitcaster rod?

...aside from that, it's interesting dark/depressing/alt-hist-sci-fi

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on October 01, 2018, 06:52:11 AM
is that a 330 mounted on a baitcaster rod?

Yes, it appears it is...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ruffy

Quote from: mo65 on September 28, 2018, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: Ruffy on September 28, 2018, 12:06:42 PM
The kicker for me is the spool though, with the thought of what would I use it for. The one I've got is the single disk drag stack, without the eared washer and with no room for one to make it a 3 stack. For the fish that can lurk around here I like 20-30lb braid with a bit more oomph then this can give.

Can you post a pic of that drag stack? I've never seen a single disc drag for the 221. My 221 has the 2 friction disc set up, as pictured in these photos from Fred's 221 tutorial.

Here you go Mo! The stack has a wavy metal washer, then three washers which all appear to be resistex (one thin, two thick), then the keyed metal washer. There are no grooves in the spool for an eared washer and it is all held in by a circlip type retainer. Outside diameter is 16mm, max drag on one 16mm washer is not much.
It'd be fine for ultralight stuff but there ain't much of that here.

I took my 6 yo daughter out yesterday (school holidays here), got a few rats around 25cm, also managed to get a 5-6 foot shovel nose ray boatside on the trusty Sigma 2200CK 040. My daughter was stoked about the ray; we also managed three big bucks so no empty stomachs last night!

Cheers,
Andrew

mo65

Quote from: Ruffy on October 02, 2018, 11:37:40 PM
The stack has a wavy metal washer, then three washers which all appear to be resistex (one thin, two thick), then the keyed metal washer. There are no grooves in the spool for a keyed washer and it is all held in by a circlip type retainer.

Wow...hard to believe that arrangement could be correct...but I've seen weirder Quick drag stacks. Like this 270 set up, with no friction disc at all in the spool...and they said it was correct!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

That 270 is factory correct, Mike —

The 220/221 should have a spring washer, metal keyed, resistex, metal triple eared, resistex, metal keyed, then a keeper (either a snap ring or a tooth keeper).

These can of course be changed around any way to improve or improvise as needed over the years.

An example of improvement is greased CF — but the factory set-up is very effective also. 

It's all good as long as it catches fish and is not jerky.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

This 270 isn't the prettiest or cleanest D-A-M Quick I've found on Ebay, but definitely the best functioning as is right out of the shipping box.  It must have been serviced internally fairly recently.  The bail functions very crisply, handle turns smooth as silk, but it needs a good scrubdown with Dawn on the exterior.  I'll tear it apart soon. The screw that holds the detachable handle is boogered and the paint isn't perfect but I am very satisfied.

Rivverrat

Them 270's arent that great of a reel. A lot of work. Few parts to be found. A big pain & they feel funny when you crank them  8)... Jeff

festus

Found these nine for parts reels. Mostly Finessas, 330, 330N, and one 331N. Also a Junior was included.

festus

I ordered this Microlite 265 from Fred and it arrived today.  It's the first D-A-M Quick I've gotten in the mail that I had complete confidence it wouldn't need servicing.

Of course curiosity got the best of me and I had to pop the sideplate for a look inside at the gears and anti-reverse.  The gearing is pretty much that of a mini-Super 270 with the slider and worm wheel gear and roller. The anti-reverse reminds me more of something that was part of a Penn Greenie or Royal Maroon Shakespeare series.   The 110 and 110N were common in Tennessee during the 1960s and 70s, but I'm fairly sure this is the first 265 I've laid eyes on.