Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I've been intrigued with the 270 for sometime. The first one I rebuilt was a dream.
 I recently realized with the help of Joe that I didn't have the understanding of this model I believed I possessed.

I had no desire to fish these reels past 10 lbs. of drag. However... after the rebuild of my 1st one I quickly adjusted the drag to 15 lbs. lifting 15 lbs. from the floor with the spool fully extended forward, placing as much stress on the shaft as possible.

To my amazement the spool did not rub with line coming off & I called l it good.

Issues arose when I began to use the reels at this level... All my problem. Wiith me not installing the drag stack in the
right order... Jeff

Steelyfinn

Thanks for the comments Fred and Jeff.

Getting Each of these old battle scarred reels back in fishing condition has been a good learning experience, and it just felt good getting these old timers useable again.

Jon

jgp12000

Jon/Fred,

My cousin found 2 Supers at an estate sale in Destin that we are gonna do some horse trading over. he is sending me pics tonight. What is the best paint to get for the Super, I haven't found any green/gray made by VHT?

thank you,
James

oldmanjoe

Good luck finding that color .   Plenty of the black though.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

Quote from: jgp12000 on March 10, 2021, 07:53:35 PM
Jon/Fred,

My cousin found 2 Supers at an estate sale in Destin that we are gonna do some horse trading over. he is sending me pics tonight. What is the best paint to get for the Super, I haven't found any green/gray made by VHT?

thank you,
James

They are at their ever best when scratched up with little paint on them. Fish seem to like them them better this way  ;D  ...Jeff

jgp12000

That's what she sed...

Steelyfinn

James,
I only painted the spools - used black appliance paint on 2 of them after stripping as best I could.
I didn't touch up the bodies and haven't found a color match.  Tell us if you find a match - the scars on those reels are still there, you just don't see them in that picture.

Jon

jgp12000

I will, they look great in the pictures!