Squidder Drag Star

Started by otghoyt, January 26, 2017, 10:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I'll have to agree with Rudy...shortening that collar should be an easy quick fix. I've ran into this same problem when putting larger #10-66 stars on reels that had the undercut Squidder stars. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

fishhawk

Good stuff here! I always wanted to know how to get more drag control on my squidders. Who makes the thinnest handle? Penn?

Alto Mare

I'm not really getting what you guys are saying about using a different handle.
No matter what thickness is, the handle will always sit on the shoulder of the sleeve and would have anything to do with star travel.
Thinning the star makes sense though.
Just do as Rudy has mentiond and use a shorter spacer, or make your own as I do, by sanding a little off. If you need to sand until it sits flush with the bushing on the plate, use a 10-60 star that is releaved at the bottom.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, what I was talking about is to shorten the collar that is part of the plate first by about 1/16" or so  & then shorten the bushing a bit for more adjustment. After  that you still might need a 10-49 star which is undercut.               Rudy

dogtagger

This is another interesting situation with trying to make different parts work together-- not alway easy. I just found an old 155 in my 'reel bin' which I had no idea I had ??? The reel was stiff and seemed to have drag even with the star backed off. I went through it as usual, and noticed I had replaced the old drag washers with HT-100s, but kept the old brass washers. I swapped out the star/handle for a larger star and handle from a 309. I noticed the 309 star had an undercut on it, the first time I've noticed that. As it turned out the drag works perfectly now with the stock spacer and new star-- I guess in this case the new drag washers (including one under the gear) made the stack just a hair taller.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on February 02, 2017, 09:04:03 PM
Sal, what I was talking about is to shorten the collar that is part of the plate first by about 1/16" or so  & then shorten the bushing a bit for more adjustment. After  that you still might need a 10-49 star which is undercut.               Rudy
Personally, I'm not crazy about messing with the collar on any plates and don't believe there is a need to. I usually chuck up the spacer sleeve (part number 9-60)  on my drill press and lower it on some sandpaper... very fast and affective.
Of course if you don't have a drill press there is other ways, it just takes a little longer.
If you go to Scotts, they have (7) sizes available, but you might still need to sand yours down.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/9-60.aspx

On my personal reels, most of my spacers are sanded, I like to get them just the way I like it.  

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

In Hoyt's case here...shortening the collar on the plate is the only way to make his Motive Fab drag star work...short of spending money back cutting that star. Shortening the spacer is only going to worsen his problem, the star would then be even closer to hitting the collar! Just sand, file, or grind a little off that collar...then buff it up shiny...nobody's gonna see where you sanded off the chrome edge...its a cinch. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~