removing knob on accurate fury

Started by bestout, January 27, 2017, 06:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

how do i remove the knob on the 2015 accurate furys?
The monsters in my head are scared......

STRIPER LOU

Although not familiar with that particular knob, most of the Accurate's I have worked on have left handed threads. Might check with Kieth (handi2).

...............Lou

bestout

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 27, 2017, 06:38:27 PM
Although not familiar with that particular knob, most of the Accurate's I have worked on have left handed threads. Might check with Kieth (handi2).

...............Lou
i have tried both ways and its very snug i dont know if they red loctite or how is the right way to remove the knob

STRIPER LOU

They use both Loctite primer and Loctite which makes for a very strong bond. If you have a good size soldering gun, you can apply heat directly to the screw.
I have a D550 Weller and a few minutes with that, and knowing its usually a left hand thread does the trick.

Good luck,  ..  Lou

bestout

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 27, 2017, 07:59:44 PM
They use both Loctite primer and Loctite which makes for a very strong bond. If you have a good size soldering gun, you can apply heat directly to the screw.
I have a D550 Weller and a few minutes with that, and knowing its usually a left hand thread does the trick.

Good luck,  ..  Lou
i gave it a try again and i end up breaking half of the bolt   >:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

STRIPER LOU

bestout

bestout

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 27, 2017, 08:43:54 PM
Even after heating?
how can I remove the bolt now..... half od the head of the bolt still there  :-[

STRIPER LOU

Tough without seeing it. Can you center punch it and drill it out?

bestout

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 27, 2017, 09:50:57 PM
Tough without seeing it. Can you center punch it and drill it out?
it is still screwed in

STRIPER LOU

Can you center punch and drill it out. Do you have access to a drill press? If you can drill the head of the screw out, remove the knob and then you'll be able to work on the shaft that's left.

bestout

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 27, 2017, 10:14:36 PM
Can you center punch and drill it out. Do you have access to a drill press? If you can drill the head of the screw out, remove the knob and then you'll be able to work on the shaft that's left.
no I do not have a drill press what other options I got left :(

STRIPER LOU

coastal_dan

I usually use a fine blade on my very small hack saw and go to town at the base of the bolt or shaft.  Then you are left with a stub or just fill piece in the hole in the handle arm, I then use a quality drill bit and drill out the remainder...

Red loctite does take heat to release - Blue is just a good amount of pressure.

Good Luck!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bestout

thanks i end up sending it back to accurate  :-\