Newell - double dog modification?

Started by tinboat, January 28, 2017, 05:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinboat

I was admiring Irish Jiggers modification of the Penn Jigmaster 500, adding it to the "Double Dog Family".

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5966.0

I was very interested in his:

Stainless steel dogs in 'alternating' mode to reduce handle/gear backlash.

I would love to have less backlash on my Newell S220 reels.  In Alan's photo, there looks like there's room:

Has anyone tried this ? I know that some of the larger Newell reels come with 2 dogs.  Would I need a friend with a machine shop?

Thanks - John

Bryan Young

Cortez conversion is working on it now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PacRat

Here's one that I did but it's very crude and too complex. I did it just too see if I could (actually I blame Sal for my double-dog madness). I had to do a couple of mods to the sideplate and the plastic is very thin in those areas. I would wait for Tom before doing another.
-Mike

reel man

You can take a lot of the back lash out by changing out your gear sleeve to a ten tooth.  The one pictured is an eight tooth gear sleeve. You would also have to change out the pawl (dog).

tinboat

Quote from: reel man on January 29, 2017, 10:28:39 AM
You can take a lot of the back lash out by changing out your gear sleeve to a ten tooth.  The one pictured is an eight tooth gear sleeve. You would also have to change out the pawl (dog).

Is a ten tooth gear sleeve and pawl available somewhere?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Quote from: tinboat on January 29, 2017, 05:19:05 PM
Quote from: reel man on January 29, 2017, 10:28:39 AM

Is a ten tooth gear sleeve and pawl available somewhere?

https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/9cde24f6-50dc-f0b3-7528-89689aebf8c7
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

tinboat

Thanks for the link.

Can someone comment on the change, is it a big improvement?

Regards - John

Newell Nut

Yes it is a very nice improvement when you go to 10 teeth. The dog on the 8 tooth is made different so you have to change the AR dog when you go to a 10 tooth sprocket. Very easy to do and Tom has made the dogs for the 10 tooth. Keta originally built me some of those dogs and he still has some he wants to part with.

tinboat

Swami805

I have a no letter 440 with 2 AR dogs that has a fair amount of backplay. So i'm thinking this might help. Will this sleeve work in this reel? Thanks Sheridan 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

reel man

Your 440 already has the 10 tooth.  You'll have a very small amount of slop, but nothing like the old 8 tooth.  The reels with no back play usually have an anti reverse roller bearing, but these provide very little stopping power.

Keta

Quote from: Swami805 on January 29, 2017, 11:59:24 PM
I have a no letter 440 with 2 AR dogs that has a fair amount of backplay. So i'm thinking this might help. Will this sleeve work in this reel? Thanks Sheridan 

Would 1 longer dog engaging offset from the stock one reduce this?  I have Penn blank dogs I can hand form if you give me a length. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tinboat

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 29, 2017, 08:51:18 PM
Yes it is a very nice improvement when you go to 10 teeth. The dog on the 8 tooth is made different so you have to change the AR dog when you go to a 10 tooth sprocket. Very easy to do and Tom has made the dogs for the 10 tooth. Keta originally built me some of those dogs and he still has some he wants to part with.

I ordered the 10 tooth sleeve from Cortez and Keta's helping with the dog. Thanks Keta. I saw the Newell clicker kit so I'll give it a try too.

Thanks for all of the help - John