Newell - double dog modification?

Started by tinboat, January 28, 2017, 05:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I was talking to Chad about doing a couple 400 bridges using a no letter 440 bridge as a template. Was wondering if tapping a hole and threading a piece of SS rod for the post would be strong enough or would tapping a hole to accept an SS screw and  milling the threads down to create the post be better. Seems to me that the screw would add more "meat" into the threads of the bridge and would be stronger but due to  the thickness of the bridge there's not many threads to get a bite.
It seems like a relatively simple modification but maybe I'm missing something.
Any advice?
Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Sheridan,
I've been looking at double dog posts and have a few ideas. Bring a couple bridges next time we meet for lunch. My turn to buy  ;)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Newell Nut

It is doable and good luck. I have not tried it since most of my reels are 500s. I do have a factory 338 double dog that sure is sweet.

Dwight

Newell Nut

Quote from: Swami805 on March 23, 2018, 02:04:02 AM
I was talking to Chad about doing a couple 400 bridges using a no letter 440 bridge as a template. Was wondering if tapping a hole and threading a piece of SS rod for the post would be strong enough or would tapping a hole to accept an SS screw and  milling the threads down to create the post be better. Seems to me that the screw would add more "meat" into the threads of the bridge and would be stronger but due to  the thickness of the bridge there's not many threads to get a bite.
It seems like a relatively simple modification but maybe I'm missing something.
Any advice?
Thanks Sheridan

If you are concerned about the strength of your second post think about it this way. Positioned properly as Newell did both dogs engage at the same time. So what happens is this: the load that used to be applied to one dog is now cut in half with the second dog sharing the load. Like curling a 40 lb dumbbell with one hand and then trying it with two hands. It is a lot easier.

Dwight

Swami805

Thanks Dwight,makes sense. What model 338 came with 2 by the way?
Do what you can with that you have where you are