Avet 80's - EXW or TRX?

Started by biggiesmalls, January 31, 2017, 01:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

I haven't even finished up my 9/0 and I'm already thinking about the Avet I'll be inevitably fishing one day :D

Would you go with the EXW or the TRX if you had to choose? Eventually I'd like to bring two setups to the beach - one for sharks up to 7 foot or so, and the other for the "big four" - tigers, hammers, bulls, and lemons. It'll definitely be an 80w - I'd go with a 50w, but I'll be using it in parts of Florida at times (including Boca Grande Pass and Islamorada), and if I get into one of FL's big hammers it's game over. So it'll be an 80w for the big boys and probably a LX for the smaller guys (like the castability of the rig). I'm not getting any Avets until a reel of mine gets spooled though.

For those unfamiliar with the reels mentioned - they are pretty similar - in that both are two-speeds with the same gear ratios (2.7:1 and 1.3:1), same retrieval rate (39" per crank and 19" per crank), both hold around 1,000 yards of standard 80 pound mono (meaning over 800 yards of 100 pound and over 600 yards of 130 pound), and both have the same dimensions (5.5" diameter and 3.875" spool diameter). The differences are in line rating (EXW is rated for 80-130 pound line, while the TRX is rated for 80-200), drag capabilities (EXW is rated for 50 at strike and 57 at full, while TRX gets 80 at strike and well over 100 at full), and weight (EXW weighs 6 pounds 7 ounces, while the TRX weighs in at 7 pounds 3 ounces).

The rod will probably be fished on a custom rod - either 80-130 if it's the EXW or 80-180 if it's the TRX. Probably 5'9" or a few inches less. Reel will be spooled with 130 or 200# JB hollow core and topped with 130 pound mono.

Thanks!

Tightlines667

I havn't fished either, but believe them both to be quality reels.  With a longer rod (even without), holding anything like 50lb+ of drag is a difficult feat...unless the rod is in a fixed holder. 

Having said that, I have always been a firm believer that smooth drag is more important then high drag lbs.  I figure getting and maintaining a smooth drag throughout the fight, especially after prolonged runs, and with decreasing spool diameter requires the ability to 'keep cool' (shed heat), and to fish with less pressure on your drag surfaces.  More, larger drag surfaces, combined with a good heat sink are the key here. 

I like to fish a reel that produces drag at strike = 1/3 the line breaking strength (at full spool) and less then 1/2 the maximum possible drag the reel will produce (before doing damage to its internal components).  So my preferred 130lb class reel will produce 40-45lbs at strike, and is capable of  ~80-90lbs of maximum drag (when strike is set at the maximum setting before the reel loses freespool).  These numbers give me confidence the reel will perform smoothly within the drag range I actually intend to fish at.

Larger reels, have larger heat sinks, greater spool diameters (more line capacity, less decrease in diameter after a long run), and usually sport larger diameter drags with less pressure needed per force of friction generated.

The other factor for me is being able to precisely control the drag setting throughout the range, and throughout dofferering spool fullnesses.  This means a more linear drag range as opposed to a quick ramp up.  The cost is that you can not apply super heavy brakes quickly, the benefit is smoothness when changing settings and a more precise range when needed (like when there is alot of line is in the water), or the fish is not cooperating.

Your EX 80W should get the job done, and will have a more linear ramp up.  The T-Rex will have serious stopping power, and may actually be smoother at fishable ranges, but has a steeper drag curve. 

They probably will both deal well with heat (much better then the Senators).

If money wasn't a factor, I would buy the T-Rex.. just because the design is super cool.  I serviced a pair of these once, and was impressed with the design.  The only reel that compares is the Accurate Platinum Twin IMHO. 

Bear in mind these hot rods have tight tollerances, and by pushing limits will likely see increased parts wear and failures, and be less forgiving of saltwater and debris intrusion, dried lubes, and the like.

Senators can handle life on the sand much better then a lever drag.  Bear in mind you should be able to handle a big fish with a big senator.  They provide adequate braking and cranking power,  while still having large line capacities, and good retrieval rates, and they are lightweight (which keeps you in the fight longer), and much more cost effective.  The can and do overheat, and behave rather poorly when they get really hot. 

Be aware there are upgrade options  available here, and elsewhere, for the larger Senators that can improve performance and strength.  These include Versa drag inserts, greased carbon fiber drag discs, delron over and under gear washers, stainless gear sleeves, upgraded handle and handle arms, and stainless gear sets.

Maybe try buying yourself a nice custom 130 class rod to fish from shore before getting a new reel.  Get yourself harnessed up and see how much drag (at the reel) you can hold comfortably.  Realize this number is magnified at the pole tip, and even much more at the hook end when there is alot of larger diameter line in the water.  A 50lbs at drag setting at the reel will break your gear at the leader to line connection with 500yds of line in the water and less than 1/2 of your full spool diameter, if it diesn't break your back first.

:)

Hope that helps some?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

AJ

I have used the EX (30 or 50 not sure) and was on a trip with an angler that had a EX 50 - 3 speed (he loved it).  They worked very nicely, No info on the TRX.

josa1

I fish an AVET PRO EX80/2 as a kite rig while long range fishing. This reel is very strong, has the smoothest drag you can imagine, holds copious quantities of line, mine has 925 yards of 200 pound hollow spectra on it and it has been very reliable.  It will easily hold the approximately 125' of 200 pound mono topshot just a little more than a boat length, that I use.
I think I would recommend this reel and save the weight.  Maybe it's just me but I can't imagine pulling on more than 50 pounds of drag for a long while.  I just couldn't do it.  Also, the TRX is wider to accommodate the additional drag washer, and to me, that's a little awkward.

I realize that I'm a little biased because of my ownership, but I do believe that it's a great reel!

I did a post on this site of how to service the 80, if you would like to look at my reel.  It is currently the first post in the AVET forum.

Good luck in your search!

josa1

biggiesmalls

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like the EXW is just what I need, and the TR-X is excessive. I'm not even 150 pounds and bulking up I don't think I could get over 180 - meaning 100 pounds of drag on the beach isn't going to ever be feasible. 60 might be doable for a little while if I can hit the nail right on the head with my technique, but far over that is going to be tough.

I'll probably go 600 yards of 130# hollow core and then the rest (around 350 yards) of 130# mono. Anyone biased towards using 200# hollow core vs 130#? It's about $100 more for a 3000 yard spool of 200# than a 3000 yard spool of 130#, and if I stick with the 600 yards of braid backing I'll get 310 yards of mono vs 350. Not sure if it's worth the extra money or not though.

thorhammer

Hey drew, I think 130 vs. 200 in terms of one standing on the dirt trying to manage 50 lbs. drag vs. 70 lbs. drag (using 1/3 rule) is purely academic...one gets a faceplant sooner rather than later. The 200 may give you a bit more in terms of abrasion resistance as Daron pointed out respective to using braid in this application.

let me know your colors on the 9/0 rod in case I need to order.

fishgrain

The TREX applies drag pressure to both the left and right side of the spool, what Avet calls their 'quad drag', while the EX comes with their 'dual drag'

I believe that is the only notable difference, mechanically at least.

It's basically an EX for those who want extra power, mostly targeted at BFT fisheries when it was launched, but since has also become popular for land based sharkin.

So to me that means higher cost of ownership to maintain the more complex design.

** Side Note .... demand for the TREX is much lower than the EX.

As a result, Avet has in the past been more likely to offer a nice discount (factory endorsed, not a dealer cutting prices) on the TRX. Doesn't happen often but at more than one time in the past you could purchase a new TRX for the price of an EX.

thanks, Jay

PS TREX is the machines affectionate nick-name, because it's an absolute beast!!

PSS great right up John - appreciate that very informative

biggiesmalls

Hey John, will give you a call either tomorrow or Wednesday about the rod.

Yeah, I also realized how weird the t-rex looks. The right side is a good bit (somewhere around an inch) wider than the left side - making for an awkward looking reel, that would probably be odd-feeling in the hand. I don't think an 80w T-rex is worth purchasing, the EXW does the job great it seems and you gain very little by upgrading to a T-rx (at least from the beach, which is where the reel would be used 95% of the time).

bill19803

I may be  the iconoclast     with this  post  but it  needs  to be  said.  If  you need the line capacity  of   an  80   then     with   any   80   you will get  much  more  drag  then  you can  possibly imagine using. It   doesnt matter    it it   will  handle       55  or 80   or 100 lbs  of   drag  around   30  is  probably  all   you can   effectively use  unless  you  are  belted into a  chair  and   using a harness. Because   you will be operating  way below  any  80  reel capacity  the reel  will be  smooth,  as long  as its   kept in  great   shape.  In  the  whole   discussion  i never heard a  word   about  anything Penn   and the   80    stw   with  carbon   fiber    will  sure  give  you   the   same drag overkill,  and though i have  not been inside   any  80   and  never  will be i  suspect the mainenance   of   the  penn  will be  easier   less  complicated   and less  costly  then   those  which  are mentioned.  And  with feet in  the  sand   im  sure   that servicing  becomes a big  issue
Now  if  you were  gonna   go   for    a  grander from a boat  with a  chair  the  choice   would  be different     but  feet in the  sand   require simple  mechanisms   that   a  grain of  sand   wont  mess  up. I  play  with   80stw,     atd80  and  fin not  12a   for  brutes  in the eastern  canyons   and i can tell  you   the  penn  has lower  maintenance  then  the  atd   80w     The   12a   has  not been   utilized  yet   

Think  about  what  you need   not  what  is  the  greatest  when  buying  a reel of  this   size and  cost   unless  of   course you have an  unlimited budget..

biggiesmalls

Hi Bill,

I do plan on going with the 80w because of its line capacity as well as its higher drag capabilities - even if I'm not constantly fishing it at 60 pounds of drag (more likely it will be set to 20-30 on most trips, and might get bumped up to 40 or higher when I fish in Florida), it will stay butter smooth while I'm fishing it. My dream is to set it at 20 or 30 pounds and have something slow roll off and bump up the drag to 60 pounds and still have the monster taking off - it may only happen once in my lifetime, but when it does I want to be prepared. Comparing a Senator to an Avet is like apples and oranges. I played around with both at a buddy's house and it's a world of difference between the two. Yes they both get the job done, but when godzilla swims off the beach and picks up your bait you want everything you can get to stop him.

Now, I am certainly not discrediting the Senators - I am fishing a decked out 9/0 this season, and it will remain in my possession until the day that I die (granted, it will be a trophy on my wall when I get the 80w). I'll probably fish an LX or two as casted setups - for sharks up to 6-7 feet, and bring the 80w out whenever we get our hands on a bigger bait.

As for fishing over 30 pounds of drag - it can definitely be done, and it's done often. Look at CJ Floyd - aka Catchin' Jiants - who fished 60 pounds standup (without a rail for a considerable amount of time) for grander bluefins in PEI. He's fished with 40 pounds for some big hammers from shore too, with the right training it can definitely be done. I will be using a harness, no chair though.

I've seen plenty of people get out there with their Avets and seen them function fine. Now, if you're rolling them around in the sand - not a good reel. But if you hammer your spikes in good, are diligent about not dunking/dropping your equipment (like I am), and don't mind spending a bit more money to get a good reel - I see no reason an Avet isn't a good choice (or any lever drag, for that option - but I prefer the American-made aspect and the price of the Avets).

Again, certainly not disagreeing with you that the Senators aren't workhorses - they're some of the toughest reels out there, and I have a feeling I will have a hard time shelving my 9/0 when I purchase the 80w - but the 80w is simply better. Also, one final point - if you hook into a big hammer, we're starting to learn that big hammers don't have a high survival rate after being hauled in to shore, even if they look fine. I am a science-oriented person, so I definitely know that you should get the shark moving in order to sort of "drain" the lactic acid that coats the muscles after an intense fight - however that doesn't always do the trick. In my mind, I would rather get that fish of a lifetime in as quick as possible (which may still be in excess of an hour) to maximize its chances of survival. If I killed a 12'+ hammerhead shark due to my selfishness in wanting him to fight even harder, I would feel awful. If I want a long fight, I'd go find a big ray or something :)

Sorry for the wall of text
Drew

thorhammer

Drew, that's pretty well thought out and an atta-boy on you conservation. Let that baby grow a few feet on the way south to Daron. Avet is great, I have a couple and love made in the good ole USA....but Old Gold was bagging records when Avet's granddaddy was catching rubber ducks in the bath tub .....

Shark Hunter

I'm only adding to this Drew, because I was asked to.
The T-rex is a fine reel. I don't have one, but its not because I don't want one.
Unless you are Built like a Sherman Tank, and have about 300 lbs of Muscle on your bones.
No normal human being can hold onto 60lbs of drag for more than a few seconds from the beach.
30 lbs is tops for any length of time and you better eat your Wheaties.
The Senator has its place just for this sort of thing.
A 14/0 can hold 1000 yards of straight 130 lb mono. Not many reels have that capacity, unless you are into Everols.
With the right upgrades, that reel will hold down 30 lbs of drag without breaking a sweat and bring in some true giants.
I bring one with me whenever I hit the Beach.
If you can't turn a shark with 30lbs of drag, He is not going to. You are going to get broke off, or the hook is going to pull.
You have to wear him down. I am totally about getting the fight done as soon as possible, getting the shark swimming as soon as possible, but a man has to know his limitations.
I am not trying to say you are wrong, but I've been in this game for a few years and the Senators and Everols are what you need for land based Sharking.
I am sure the T-rex can get it done, but at 225lbs. I can't hold on to more than 30lbs in a harness and plate. It will lift you off your feet after a while.
When you hook into a Shark that weighs more than 100lbs, It is a totally different game than most people are used to.
You feel the weight and power of something that is bigger than yourself on the end of that line. You have to dig in and lean back.
It takes experience to make sure all goes well in the end. The right gear, The right Tackle, The right mindset.
Shark Fishing from Shore is the thing that keeps me going. Looking forward to the challenge of Man VS Beast. I live for it.
No boats, No rules. Just A Kayak, The Beach, My gear and Me.
I only get to Shark Fish Twice a year, but when I do, I bring my A-Game.
I know of the guys you speak of,
They have shown me the way.
You need friends to learn the true aspect of this angling.
You can't do it by yourself, Trust me.
Hours and Hours of Preparation pay off in the fight. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

CapeFish

are there not other advantages in using a more compact reel? You don't have to crank it down all the way to 60lb drag, you just use it to what you can hold on to? The more compact reel can be filled with plenty of braid and a nylon topshot for abrasion. The reel is lighter and you can maneuver around on the shore much easier and walk after the fish as well. If you get to tired leaning into the fish, straight stick it, it then fights completely against the drag and you can take a rest. I often do this when a fish heads for the horizon. Following a fish also helps to clear the line over obstacles or prevent them from running you around a point and gets you into more direct contact with the fish so you turn it quicker. Just another take on the matter, I prefer the more compact, maneuverable approach and feel the lighter your tackle (up to a point) the greater your chance of getting a pull.

Shark Hunter

I was looking into getting a T-Rex 80 Quad not that long ago.
I think you are onto something Jeri.
I just know what works for me.
I know you have a lot of Experience with this type of fishing.
Technique and gear depend a lot on the area.
Biggie is a young man.
I just don't want to see him bite off more than he can chew before he gets a few sharks under his belt.
Life is Good!

CapeFish

Its Leon not Jeri  :), flattered to be confused with him though, but we come from the same part of the world with the same mad tactix  :) If you are new to it yes then I totally agree, stay away from a 60lb drag reel on the shore, it will just spell trouble. In that case even a 14/0 Senator is probably not a good idea, why not start with a 6/0 and smaller baits? Guaranteed you can land a 300lb fish on such a size reel, especially on an open beach and you can get it in in good time.