Triple Play

Started by The Great Maudu, February 02, 2017, 05:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

They say good things come in three's. I know we don't get into fly fishing much on this forum but the moderator can decide to leave it or send it packing. I wanted to show something not commonly seen and it's a 3 rod, split bamboo set. Each rod has 5 sections. You can use them as fly rods or turn the handle around, put in casting tips and now your slinging bait. All the flies, floats, line and other accessories are still intact. It's really a time capsule. I don't think I'm going to be keeping it much longer so just wanted to share some pics.

Bill B

Great kit brother....it would be hard for me to part with that......bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

That's really cool.  Those tapered tip tops barrels may help date it..
-steve

The Great Maudu

Dating it would be nice. Any ideas?

Bryan Young

that is cool...very cool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

What a great find,I'd have a hard time letting that go. Nice Mike
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

You are finding some cool stuff Mike, thanks for sharing it with all of us here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Mike, I would have said post-war occupied Japan like the casting rod you showed not long ago.  The hinges on the wood box also scream post-war.  The reversible handle/seat was popular then, but the tapered tip top barrels harken something a little earlier.  I don't know.  There' a whole world of fly rod collectors out there who would know in an instant.
-steve

Tightlines667

Post-war Japan.

Cool package!

There are folks on the vintage fly rod forum...

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/

That could likely provide more insight.

Thanks for the share!

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

I agre that would be a hard one to part with.  In such good shape with all the accessories intact wow.
It's a rare find even more so in this condition.

fishgrain

1950's 1960's ?

from simpler times, when the idea of fitting all of your fishing stuff in one small portable box was a marketable angle.

hahaha not today brother love to see some guys (guilty as charged) try to get ALL of there stuff in ONE box .... no chance fellas  :o :o

my guess someone private labeled this type of package because have seen identical kits with various branding, mermaid and Grampus being two that come to mind

who knows, just a guess. thanks for posting

oc1

Some were also called Mayflower.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Here's a close up of the big label on the inside of the box lid. It is afixed to the sliding panel.

oc1

The same company that made your vintage trolling rod with the Rocket.
-steve

The Great Maudu

Might have been. The threads look the same