Australian SURFMASTER 2/0

Started by basto, February 02, 2017, 06:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I finally got one. Surfmaster made 50,000 reels between 1950 and 1960 in Sydney. They made bait casters, spin reels and conventionals,  This one is about the proportions of my Penn 99. It holds 300yds of 19lb monofilament. Spool is 2 ins wide.

The only markings on it are under the stand and on the head plate . It has an alloy spool and side plates.

The way the reel is put in and out of gear is very interesting. It has a lever on the head plate which, when lifted out, causes the cam to lift the pinion collar off the pinion gear. When turned down it puts the reel back in gear. It looks like a very robust setup.

The drag is also interesting, with only one leather washer which probably produces about 6 lbs of drag.

It has a ss dog which I thought was going to be difficult to reassemble, but no, a piece of cake.
The reel`s spool runs on bushings.

Basto  
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

oc1

That's a neat reel.  If you take it apart again make a photo of the spool end and where the pinion collar grabs the pinion gear.  I don't understand that part.  Thank you for sharing.
-steve

mo65

Interesting reel Basto...great find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

The Great Maudu

I was thinking robust as well. Great find

basto

Thanks guys for your replies.
Steve, I will get those photos next time I pull it down.
Basto

basto

These photos show how the pinion collar, which is held by the yoke, is lifted on and off the pinion gear when the little toggle lever on the head plate is shifted.
This engages and disengages the spool.

A neat piece of engineering I think.
Basto

The Great Maudu

That's is some top notch photography too

oc1

Oh, I get it now Basto.  Thank you very much for taking the time.
-steve

basto

No problem Steve. I quite enjoy it. The only thing to watch out for when getting one of these reels is to be careful you don`t get one that is too corroded on the side plates. The screws can get frozen on to the alloy plate and can be very difficult to get out.
I was lucky enough to find one with all chromed brass frame.On some models the head plate side of the frame is alloy too, and they can suffer badly  from corrosion.
Back then, we didn`t have Mr. Tani to show us how to lubricate all the screws etc.

cheers
Basto

Penn Chronology

Very interesting reel. The drag and clutch system design are copied from 1930's Ocean City design. Even the free spool lever is an Automatic Style like Ocean City. The lever pivots out and is knocked back into place by turning the handle. This was how the star drag drive trains was controlled before Penn came into the equation.

basto

Thank you for that information Michael. Very interesting indeed.
Basto

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank you for that information Michael. Very interesting indeed.

Yes, especially since it is on an Australian reel. The automatic free spool lever, as Ocean City called it, was an Ocean City innovation I believe. The clutch and drive system was used by Ocean City; but, they actually copied it from vom Hofe reels. Back in the 1920's all the makers were using each others designs and many of them claimed to be the originators; Very difficult to know where it all started.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 11, 2017, 06:44:15 AM
Very interesting reel. The drag and clutch system design are copied from 1930's Ocean City design.
The drag is the same as that on my Pflueger 1419-3/4, which also had a roller bearing on top of the stack. The little pin in the sleeve was meant to break away if the forces exerted were enough to damage the gears; this shear pin would break off before the gears stripped. The Pflueger has a screw in the sleeve that functions the same way.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

The clutch system looks to me to be very durable and reliable. Very good work when you think about how long ago it was developed.
Basto

basto

I found another Surfmaster recently. This one has the all alloy head plate frame.

This one has 3 spacing wshers on the gear sleeve. Another one I have has one and the third has two.

The anti reverse pawls on these reels look just like the strike alarm clicker.

The stand is different on this reel, with pillars and no provision for a rod clamp.

I like the way the eccentric jack and yoke are formed into one part on these reels.

I was shown some of these reels with green, blue and red side plates recently. I think I need one colored Surfmaster at least.

cheers
Basto