How to build a Rod Binding Machine

Started by wallacewt, April 22, 2011, 10:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

sewing machine motor,furniture castors for rollers,couple straps with velcro to stop rod jumping.base is capping off my fence the mini cyclone blew over.

end of rod is held on with a gimbal cap,just change the cap for diff; size rods.you can also see the thread holder

up the centre of the base,channel cut in to adjust rollers.

the rotissorie out of a microwave  oven for drying the epoxy.its removable.rod will be held in place with some velcro.240 volt connects to that little motor.

cable hanging down for the foot control

not finished yet but you get the idea.all up $20,for 2nd hand sewing machine.this is single speed but 2 speed would be better for learners.

Mike La Franchie

I love the casters. Great idea. May use it myself.
Thanks for the post.
I only fish on days ending with Y

redsetta

That's awesome Wallace - one of the best posts I've seen.
Love the ingenuity.
My wife reckons it looks like something I'd make ;) ;D
Great job mate - thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

seaeagle2

I'm impressed, here's my hill billy version, I bought a "rod dryer" motor and  and used casters like you.  For a thread tensioner I use a phone book.  Yours is way above what I cobbled together.  You can also see my combination rod building, tackle repair, flytying, workbench isn't as well organized as yours.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I started with a couple of cardboard boxes with V cuts to support the rod, and my English book as a tensioner.  Then I moved up to set-up like yours before buying a rod wrapping lathe that isn't sold anymore because the person that brought it all together for  me is no longer around and his family didn't continue the business.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I used a box for years.  5 years ago a friend of mine bought a nice power winder and when he got tired of playing with it he stored it in my shop. ;D ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on April 18, 2013, 12:41:48 AM
I used a box for years.  5 years ago a friend of mine bought a nice power winder and when he got tired of playing with it he stored it in my shop. ;D ;D

Possession is 9 tenths of the law.  You heard it here.  While not really true the proper expression which comes from evictions (Unlawful Detainer) is "The right to possession is nine tenths of the law)."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Very creative Wallace, I love the way you think ;)
I've also played around with some rods in the past and also made mine from recycled material.
Mine is made from left over hardwood flooring and a removable rotisserie, so I could roast a chicken when done with the rod ;)
Nothing like yours though

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

i upgraded the rotisserie from the microwave.
same motor still going,couple years now i think,
i added that bracket
gimbal butt just slots in
butts with a cap rest on the bar
both are just kept attached with masking tape
very simple and quick
hope this helps, cheers