dam 220n drag washers

Started by handyandy, February 03, 2017, 07:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

I'm sure fred will chime in but on the 220n resistex drag washer that is hexagon shaped if modifying carbon fiber drag washers to fit is ok if they just fit and are round? I really don't see the need for them to be hexagon shaped

foakes

Hi Andy --

Greased round CFs will work just fine in this reel.

Really depends on your type of fishing.

Hex greased CF will work a little better.

If cutting a CF by hand -- just get an oversize CF such as a Penn -- lay the old hex over it to trace a cut line.

Leave it a little smaller -- so it is not tight -- smooth out the edges -- needs a slight amount of flex slop up and down -- so it will work smoothly between full lockdown to a very loose drag setting -- just buttery, yet ready to play the fish on the fly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

Thanks fred figured it was alright if they were round

handyandy

just out of curiousity did the 220 or 221 use a metal spool I know all the N series reels were plastic. Was wondering cause it would be nice to have a reel this size to put braided line on, and wouldn't want to do it with a plastic reel.

foakes

The 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, and 550 -- all came with plastic spools.

Although, one could substitute a metal spool from a 265 onto a 110 -- by switching the spool sleeves.

And you could put a metal spool from a 280 or 285 Finessa on a 330 or 331 -- here again by changing out the spool sleeves.

Might be possible to sub some other metal spools from a 238 or 240 onto a 220 --  but have never tried it.

This is why I am interested in finding a way to manufacture metal spools for these reels -- Tom is going to take a look at the possibilities -- but that is down the road.

Meanwhile, we use the plastics for now.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on February 03, 2017, 09:14:17 PM
The 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, and 550 -- all came with plastic spools.

Although, one could substitute a metal spool from a 265 onto a 110 -- by switching the spool sleeves.

And you could put a metal spool from a 280 or 285 Finessa on a 330 or 331 -- here again by changing out the spool sleeves.

Might be possible to sub some other metal spools from a 238 or 240 onto a 220 --  but have never tried it.

This is why I am interested in finding a way to manufacture metal spools for these reels -- Tom is going to take a look at the possibilities -- but that is down the road.

Meanwhile, we use the plastics for now.

Best,

Fred
With all the hot-rodded aftermarket parts for Penn conventional and Abu baitcasters, I'm surprised nobody has fabricated metal spools for the plastic spooled D-A-M Quicks. 

I saved this pic from a 220 sold on ebay several months ago.  This spool has baffled me, it's possible it could be originally from a 238, then again, it might just be painted with metallic colored paint.

MeanMachine

I have a quick 220n Spool that has an asbestos hex shaped washer under the spool.  When I looked at the schematic the part labeled 80 is not even listed on the parts list.  All my other spools have a brass hex washer which is not removable. Is something missing?  None of my other spools have a hex shaped washer under the spool.

Midway Tommy

That's an odd diagram  ???,  most likely a misprint of some kind. All of my "N" manuals, 6 of them, show your "#80" part as #37, and the list indicates #37 as "Asbestos Washer" for all 7 reels, 110N, 220N, 330N, 440N, 550N, 331N & 441N.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MeanMachine

Ok thanks Tommy,

Is that hex brass shape that's connected to the spool on the underside removable? All 3 of my other spools have it  I can only guess that a hex drag washer would be better on the spool without the brass piece or should I put a brass hex washer then carbon washer under it.  I suspect that spool is from a different reel.