Broken reel seat

Started by tinboat, February 03, 2017, 10:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinboat

I managed to break a corner off of my Newell S 220 reel seat.  Parts are hard to come by.  Should I consider a Tiburon frame?

What would you do?

Thanks,  John

foakes

Randy at Vintage Offshore on our site -- likely has a stand for that reel.

He will probably be back from fishing in a couple of days -- and back online -- he went on a 5 day Long Range.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

You could also swap in a Penn seat. Here's a quote from another site:

"Basically its a old fix, depending on which Newell reel you have and want to mount on the rod. Buy the suitable sized Penn base and take off the Newell base and put it on the side...the Penn base will fit just right, along with the added benefit of mounting the reel closer to the reel seat (slightly better balance and comfort).

I will put the Penn Reel base swap chart here:

NEWELL REEL:
Penn Base 30-180s = Newell 220, 322
Penn Base 30-65 = Newell 229, 332
Penn Base 30-155 = Newell 235, 338

Do not use Penn Base 66, and 200 which you see on the full sized Jigmaster, Surfmaster 200, because it is too heavy and you do not need it for the 200 and 300 series full sized reels.

For 4/0 sized reels, the corresponding size Penn 113H will work. Remember Carl Newell used the hole spacing of his bases for his own Newell reels. The 4/0 sized bases will be heavier since they are made from a solid piece of chrome over brass metal (like the one you see on the full sized Jigmaster 500), but do not worry about that.

What you can do is go down to any tackle shop that carries Penn parts, and match your reel up (so bring your reel with you). Now all you have to do is to cut down the 'foot-base' screws down (either with a dremel) if you do not like the threads sticking out a little. If you want a neat job, use a old Penn base, put the screw into that base that you want to cut, then using the cutting wheel of the dremel, slice the tip off that extends past the foot....you get a nice clean cut.

This should help solve your problems."

Hope this helps
Mike

foakes

Great advice, Mike --

Good to know!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

tinboat

I'm going to give the Penn stand a try - Thanks! - John