Fish Related Book to Get Past the Moderators

Started by Dominick, February 07, 2017, 01:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Since the book I am going to recommend is about octopuses it is at least somewhat fish related so the Bosu will allow it.  Did you know that an octopus has 3 hearts and a 9 brains and blue blood?  While an octopus is not a fish (it is a celphalopod) but it lives among the fishes.  If you are at all interested in these fascinating creatures I recommend the Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery.  Easy reading and full of fish lore.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Thanks Dominick!

I just put a 'hold' on the book in the CC County Library.

I'll get to read it when whoever beat me to it returns it.

Who doesn't love octopus? (no locker room humor allowed)

Steve

philaroman

love the baitfish-in-a-bottle trick...  now I feel bad eating something that smart

Dominick

Quote from: philaroman on February 07, 2017, 04:01:04 AM
love the baitfish-in-a-bottle trick...  now I feel bad eating something that smart
Yeah I know what you mean.  The author practically humanizes the octopus.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Government and industry have animal welfare regulations and recommendations.  Everyone growing or handling livestock for a living is cognizant of animal welfare and looking over their shoulder.  Fish (because they have a backbone) were placed in a different category from invertebrates and must be accorded better care and more humane treatment.  If the world made sense, which would deserve more consideration and humane treatment, a guppy or an octopus?

I just don't understand how octopuses get so damn smart with such a short life span.
-steve

RowdyW

Quote from: oc1 on February 07, 2017, 08:05:53 AM

I just don't understand how octopuses get so damn smart with such a short life span.
-steve
Maybe because they have more then one brain.  ;)

Dominick

Maybe because of the short life span they work faster and smarter.  Having more than one brain doesn't hurt either.  Dominick

philaroman

not so much size/number of brain(s), as the amount of information processed -- i.e., incredibly acute senses to monitor & 8 versatile "limbs" to manipulate; the super-quick color changes may be a rudimentary language, for all we know...  same thing w/ bigger squid...  if they had longevity on their side, we might be in trouble

Dominick

Quote from: philaroman on February 09, 2017, 12:37:29 PM
not so much size/number of brain(s), as the amount of information processed -- i.e., incredibly acute senses to monitor & 8 versatile "limbs" to manipulate; the super-quick color changes may be a rudimentary language, for all we know...  same thing w/ bigger squid...  if they had longevity on their side, we might be in trouble
I agree.  So did Jules Verne.  Dominick