They also catch fish !!

Started by SilverRidge, February 08, 2017, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

my favorite mono I load most my reels with is Ande 6lb test. Hard to beat for the money. My favorite reels now are the dam spinners 110 and 220 suite most my needs, and older penn spinfishers 714, 722, and 430's I have one 4300 like it too all those are USA made. The DAMs in my opinion and after going through the reels are made a little stouter, the AR design of DAM is much better than what any of the penns have I think. I haven't tried braid but have few reels spooled with 15lb braid, it has it's advantages and disadvantages. I like the braid for when I really want the extra sensitivity it provides. I haven't tried the nanofil the price has turned me off for the most part. The powerpro braid is my favorite not as cheap as mono, but it's great quality made here, and not horribly expensive when caught on sale or auctions on the fleabay. I don't spool a ton of reels with it and it last a long time so really the cost isn't bad. CH I'm with you I'm a full on smallmouth addict I like catching everything from drum and sauger on the ohio river to catfish, but I never get enough of a hard pulling smallie in river current on light tackle.

handyandy

Another dam ultralight I'd like to get a hold of is a 1000. Every time one comes up on fleabay it goes for more than my cheap but is willing to pay for a reel that I need to go through and service.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: handyandy on February 14, 2017, 08:49:41 PM
Another dam ultralight I'd like to get a hold of is a 1000. Every time one comes up on fleabay it goes for more than my cheap but is willing to pay for a reel that I need to go through and service.

The Champion Series, 00s & 01s, are still good reels but not quite up to the quality of the Microlite, 100 & 110N. They're a little overpriced for my thinking.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

I agree I think they usually go for too much hence why I don't have one. Would be nice to have a metal spool wouldn't mind having one I could put braid on for when I really want the sensitivity. Silverridge what is that rod you have your microlite on?

SilverRidge

HandyAndy, the rod in the photo is a TFO 6'0 two piece combination fly/spin, one of the many ultralight rods, both spinning and fly fishing 
I have been fortunate to acquire, as you can see I'm an ultra light fanatic, even extreme UL, have a few 4'0 fly rods in the quiver that are fun and sporting fishing tools when used correctly, down here in south Florida you can't beat a 6-8 inch Bluegill, shellcracker, pumpkinseed, exotic on small ultralight tackle, great fishing fish for their size ...

CH

Quote from: SilverRidge on February 09, 2017, 04:00:43 PM
CH, there is a 4 lb test Trilene line spooled on that reel, you really want to try a tremendous line, treat yourself to some Berkley Nanolfil, not a braid or monofilament, zero coiling, good knot strength and most of You'll find you will have increased your casting distance by 50 percent easily, not affiliated with these folks, just a firm believer in a good product when I see and use it and wanting to pass it on to my fellow fisher people ..

Paul

My update on the Nanofil alternative as line..........

OK, sounded good & I was tempted. But after talking to different friends who tried it and reading reviews, well I've decided it's not for me.

All it is is "unbraided braid".... same stuff just not braided. It is famous for casting super far but has serious downsides IMHO.

1- very expensive.
2-- very thin diameter .... which mean it takes a lot to fill the reel ( can you say expensive again?) & yes I realize you could do like braid and just use bigger tests that offer bigger diameters. But that kind of makes the "thinner/cast farther aspect less of an attraction.
3- not abrasion resistant. So wears, cuts and nicks easily. Not good for snags, rocks, oyster beds, etc. ( that means potential line breaks easier while fighting fish.)
4- hard to tie good strong knots with. Knots need tied wet, not dry. Needs special knots for this line. Knots not as strong.

So, for me the downsides are not worth it.
Regular mono or carbon casts plenty good enough for me. The reel, rod, lure and technique also has a lot to do with casting distance.

But it's always great to consider or try new things. The quest for perfect gear is never ending.

And of course these are my feelings for what is best for my needs. Everyone has different tastes and needs.

Cheers
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Midway Tommy

Everyone has their specific expectations and, therefor, favorites. Personally, for freshwater fishing, I wouldn't use braid if I got it for free. I hate the toll it takes on rod eyes, roller guides and bail arm edges adjacent to line rollers. Some swear by the minimal stretch but to me it's a huge negative factor. I feel the same way about fluorocarbon. I'll sometimes use a fluor leader but I don't like the fact that it has a tendency to sink to the bottom, plus knots take extra care. Give me a high quality mono in 4, 6 or 8# test any day over low stretch lines. I've played with about every so called "quality" mono made. To me loop memory is one of, if not the, most important attributes of any quality mono. For my money, and the way I fish, you can't beat Trilene XL, and I prefer clear over anything else. Give me a light weight quality extra fast rod, say like a St. Croix Legend Elite or comparable, a good reel and the right weight XL and I'll feel every little pebble on the bottom or every wiggle of the minnow. Plus, when you set the hook the stretch in the mono compensates a little for the extra fast rod. A lot of people cuss twist and line loop memory but I've found the trick to diminishing that is that whenever my outfit sits unused for more than 2 weeks I fasten the hook to a tree branch, walk out about 50 or 60 yards of line and stretch it a few times. You'd be surprised how much difference that can make on line memory and castability.       

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

CH

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 16, 2017, 08:54:30 PM
---------- Personally, for freshwater fishing, I wouldn't use braid if I got it for free--------

AMEN TO THAT! & for much the same reasons.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

SilverRidge

Well different strokes for different folks as my grandson would say, I appreciate and find interesting each person comments both negative and positive, thats what we call the learning process, just a few comments without sounding like the old philosopher, at this point in time we live in a tremendous ever changing technological age relating to products, synthetics, metals, composite materials, I see this an opportunity to improve on the way we use and approach things, fishing is a prime example and I for one want to step forward and try out and if applicable use these new space materials to make me more proficient in the undertaking, be that said I know many people are traditionists and feel the older products are more efficent, if that's you pleasure so be it, but and please don't misinterpret my statement, this person does not want to walk out 20-60 yards numerous times to take the memory out of my line I want to purchase a line with no memory and do away with all the outside influences, and get to fishing immediately with full confidence in my tackle ...

Midway Tommy

Quote from: SilverRidge on February 17, 2017, 04:21:14 PM
Well different strokes for different folks as my grandson would say...........this person does not want to walk out 20-60 yards numerous times to take the memory out of my line I want to purchase a line with no memory and do away with all the outside influences, and get to fishing immediately with full confidence in my tackle ...

Agreed, that's why there's more than one option out there............It's not a big ordeal, 5 minutes max and you're good to go 'til the next time it sits around for a few weeks. It's also good for finding nicks, abrasions and line weakness, before that fish of a lifetime does.  :)   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

SilverRidge

While we are the subject of fishing lines, just outa curiosity do you learned gents use snap swivels or some type of connector when tying on lures or do you tie directly from the line to the lure? And why? Thanks

CH

Quote from: SilverRidge on February 17, 2017, 06:07:02 PM
While we are the subject of fishing lines, just outa curiosity do you learned gents use snap swivels or some type of connector when tying on lures or do you tie directly from the line to the lure? And why? Thanks

With ultra light I always tie directly. IMHO snaps, swivels and such ruin the action of U.L. lures.  IMHO the whole idea behind U.L. fishing is less is better. (BTW- I tie directly with all fishing unless terminal tackle is needed for certain types of rigs calling for it's use - usually for bait fishing = double hooks, spreaders, drop sinkers, etc, etc or because the quarry has sharp teeth = hence a leader)

Also IMHO......I'm all for adopting new technology when it's an improvement, but....  new does not automatically mean better. A whole lot of old technology surviving the years because if it's good...it's good and time only reinforces proving it's good. Like a good old technology DAM Quick reel :).

Lastly with U.L. weight lines I personally have never had to un-spool any and stretch the loops out. Maybe its because I use good old fashioned Blue Stren? <GRIN> But all joking aside, I'm thinking U.L. lines likely do not tend to have this problem as much.  (I have tugged heavier mono to get out the loops a few times, was not a big deal) And a bit of stretch is also a very good thing, especially in ultra light line.(also IMHO) And like Tommy pointed out...a good rod has a lot of feel.

On a related note -- a lot of people make the mistake of reeling while the fish is pulling the drag. This causes your line to twist and loop up. ( with a spinning reel) The correct way is to never reel while the fish is pulling line out with the drag. Pump the rod and reel the slack.

I guess I like mono because over all it's the best line.... invisible, priced right, doesn't sink fast, holds up well, etc, etc.  Of course I am speaking U.L. fishing. Although mono is great in many applications, other types of lines are better in some applications. They all have their niche.

Like the old Chevy or Ford conversation...  To each their own. ( I am a Chevy guy btw!)

This conversation made me think back to when I was a kid and using steel rods with old Pflueger bait casters spooled up with some very groovy multi-colored cloth braid. Baited up with either Wheaties dough balls or big fat night crawlers caught fresh the night before in the back yard. Caught a lot of carp & bullhead fishing the river by the house like that.  
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Midway Tommy

Quote from: SilverRidge on February 17, 2017, 06:07:02 PM

Kind of like CH, it depends on what I'm fishing for and what I'm fishing with. When jig fishing, whether it's UL, light or medium light (I seldom fish heavier than a light reel except for musky or pike) I tie direct. I've messed with the quick change clips a few time, but not often and don't really care that much for them. Live bait rigging always has a direct tie barrel or ball swivel ahead of the leader. Same scenario with toothy critters and lures, barrel swivel ahead of the steel leader. As far as straight up lures it depends on the lure and application. Trolling lures will have at least a 3' heavier # mono leader with a barrel swivel ahead of the leader, sometimes even a 3 way swivel with a 2' weighted dropper. If the lure calls for a snap swivel to obtain truer action, like many of the newer lures, so be it. I don't do a lot of bass fishing so my preferences probably aren't real scientific, it's just how I like to fish. In order of preference, for me, it's live bait rigging, jig &/or jig/minnow, and when I feel really lazy and want to relax, slip bobber.  ;D   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

handyandy

I don't use braid on everything for the stated reasons already but I do like it on some rods for early spring/winter small mouth bass, or jigging for sauger/walleye when the water is still rather cold I prefer it for the super sensitivity and fast sink rate. I have three rods/reels with braid and it's only 10lb. I have one large bait caster with 60lb braid for snagging paddle fish big cats and the occasional salt water trip. I may spool up my dam super with 60lb braid as well not sure debating between it or 30lb mono. Most of rods which are used mostly for bass fishing have 6lb ande mono at least 6 or more have that. Another two or three have 8lb mono Ande again. Have a large spinning set up with 25lb mono. My favorite mono I've used has been Ande. With the braid I usually use a mono or fluro leader so I have something more abrasion resistant at the end. As far as swivels goes depends on what I'm fishing like a lot have said.

handyandy

caught these yesterday afternoon evening on the ohio river below mcalpine lock and dam. Caught about half of them on the little dam 110 Fred made for me on a 5' 6" st croix premier graphite with 6lb ande mono. The rest were had on old penn 430 I went through with 15lb braid, 8 flouro leader, falcon 6' 6" rod.