They also catch fish !!

Started by SilverRidge, February 08, 2017, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CH

Quote from: handyandy on February 27, 2017, 06:43:15 PM
caught these yesterday afternoon evening on the ohio river below mcalpine lock and dam. Caught about half of them on the little dam 110 Fred made for me on a 5' 6" st croix premier graphite with 6lb ande mono. The rest were had on old penn 430 I went through with 15lb braid, 8 flouro leader, falcon 6' 6" rod.

NICE! :)
Are those sauger or saugeye..... can't tell from the pic. Looking like saugeye.
Been catching saugeye myself for about a month in the tail waters of one lake I fish. Just started getting into good walleye fishing in a neighboring lake in the last week.
Saugeye best on Rapala & white doll fly. Walleye best on spinner/worm and jig/worm combos.
Been using my super long 7ft. ultra light Diawa rod, Quick 110N spooled with 6lb. blue Stren mono on the "pike perch".

Darn channels & blues have been hitting great last couple weeks in the Ohio too! And white bass & crappie up early.
Smallmouth time coming up fast now!

There are some perks to global warming in this part of the country this year. Of course other parts have been slammed with blizzards, ice & floods.
Our luck in the Ohio valley won't hold out either I suspect.............I'm looking for lots of flooding followed by super hot and dry summer. That seems to be the usual pattern for the area in these kind of years.
We shall see.
Till then -- KEEP ON CATCHING! :)

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

handyandy

all sauger sometimes get a occasional walleye or saugeye. I like catching them but don't always get a whole lot of days I'm able to go while they are in at the dams and the river isn't way up. Who knows what the spring and summer will be. I prefer a little drier summer that keeps the rivers down and better for smallies. Around here on the ohio the sauger always seem to prefer white bucktail jigs or twister tail jig tipped with a minnow. I use a 1/2oz jig on up depending on the current where ever they are holding. When they are holding in deeper pockets it can take some weight to get the bottom and jig well depending on the current. Sauger will probably begin to disperse soon and then white bass, stripers, and wipers will be coming in.