Shark fishing display

Started by biggiesmalls, February 09, 2017, 02:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Anyone have any ideas for a shark fishing display for a man cave or den? I was thinking a glass case on the wall with a "spot" for every grander (sharks estimated to be a thousand pounds by taking the length and girth and using a fancy formula for it). There would be a small piece of paper with the species, length, girth, estimated weight, and date. Then there would be the hook used to catch the shark and a tooth from the shark. I think this might make for a good display piece. Below it, there would be a small notebook to record the details of the catch - such as tackle, location, bait, rig, etc. And of course, a picture of the shark placed inside.

Another thing I want to do is get a photo album, one of the ones where you have plenty of space to write stuff in the margins. This one will track my best catches - the first of every species of shark I catch will go in there, and every time I set a new PB size for a particular species it will go in the book. Luckily, I don't have many sharks to fill that book with right now - but with any luck, it'll get some nice fish in there this year :)

Of course, there's plenty of other stuff I want to have up as well. Eventually I'll have a full collection of Penn Senators on old customized rods, just up for display of course. And then my TR200G on the old Ugly Stik will have to go up on the wall as well, and I think I'm going to recreate the rig I used to catch that shark and buy a wall mount of a blacktip shark the same size as my first one.

Anyone have any other ideas of something they think would be cool?

biggiesmalls

Come to think of it - my 9/0 is going to be powder coated, and it's going to have a lot of "antique" parts like the handle and such replaced. I don't think it will fit in well with the other antique Senators, so I'll probably keep it on the rod and display it on its own. That means glass display case number 2 and full Senator collection, but just the reels - no rods! This stuff is going to add up quickly... but I'd say it's worth it :)

Dominick

Biggie check this link.  Near the bottom of the page you will see my senator display in my garage.  Dominick

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19188.0
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

One of my finest moments was this pic in Dominick's garage after we had his fantastic paella. Thank you again my friend for hosting.

Shark Hunter

Definitely a Classic Shot there John.
The Three Amigo's on their knees hold all the keys to this place.
I would have loved to have been there.
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Go through this thread for ideas...there is A LOT of information in here...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14752.0

Have fun with it  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

biggiesmalls

Dan, thanks for the link - lots of cool stuff in there! Dom's has to take the cake though, that's the best looking display case I've ever seen.
Here's a few shots of a room I really like:
Image result for fishing themed room
Image result for fishing themed room

Basically the room I'm working with has a small entrance area with a closet (which will obviously be for clothes, shoes, etc). Then there's the room, which has a solid wall on one side, two balcony doors and a window on the next, a window in the middle of the next, and the final side has the door to the bathroom and the entrance by the closet. The bathroom has the counter with sink, toilet, and then a tile/glass shower.

I already have white carpet floors, I really like that green paint so I'll probably do something similar. Not sure about the desk - I like the idea of having a desk but that stone/glass one looks kinda out of place. I have a perfect space for it though. I am not sure about the couch/bench thing - my windows are a bit low to do something like that. Then as far as the wall decorations - thinking the Senator and the TR200G (with the blacktip mount) above the bed. I have a signed Guy Harvey poster to hang somewhere, as well as a poker hands poster and an old rap legends poster (check my username) - probably won't hang these though since they won't fit in with the theme. I have a "fish of NC" poster but it's not too accurate, think it's time to take it down. I have a world map poster, but it's huge and would look weird. Then I've got the Jaws poster, probably won't fit in too well either but it would co in the garage with the rods. Oh yeah, the pinup posters that haven't even been taken out of the tube yet will make a nice addition in this room too :)

Other things that have to be in the room - probably the Senator collection, definitely the "Grander Display", whenever I catch my first grander, and a display of the old Rebel Big Ant lures - these were my favorite lures when I was young, I still have my old one. Want to get a full collection and put it somewhere. Then I have a few animals that need a place to stay - a super old pair of leopard geckos (pretty sure they're 10 years old at least, I need to check).

For the bathroom, I think I want a new paint around the wooden mirror trim, matching paint on the sink cabinet, perhaps a new countertop, lamp rack above the mirror (thinking something that looks like smaller lanterns), some framed pictures on the walls, and then something hanging on the wall. At first I was thinking an older lever action, but that's a lot of money so I'll probably put the Senator collection up there. Even though the Senators probably cost more than a rifle :D

Obviously I won't have all the child's bedroom stuff in there :)

biggiesmalls

Related image

This thing takes the cake for the best leopard gecko display I've ever seen.

Anyone on this forum into reptiles at all?

biggiesmalls

Bump. Anybody on here keep reptiles?

Dominick

No but I have to deal with snakes in my business.  :D ;D ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Quote from: biggiesmalls on March 27, 2017, 01:07:09 AM
Bump. Anybody on here keep reptiles?

Not for long...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Sorta, the geckos come and go as they please in everyones homes here. I like the little "wall tigers" in the house as they good at insect elimination, but they do poop in some uncool places at times.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

biggiesmalls

theswimmer

Miss Mari had a Green Iguana ,Iggy, for many years.
Finally he outgrew his 200 gal aquarium. Iggy was 49 inches long when we donated him to a private party in Fresno.
This guy had converted his entire back yard into a fully enclosed terrarium. Pretty impressive.

We now have a red ear turtle that our son Dylan brought home. Turtle was the size of a half dollar when Dylan brought him home. Turtle is now the size of a small dinner plate 😁
Grandson Sean will sit and watch him swim for hours.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn