270 Super drag washer questions

Started by mo65, February 09, 2017, 05:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Howdy folks! I scored a nice 270...and have been researching info on it...but D.A.M. Quick info is scare on the webs! While drinking in a schematic I noticed a big difference in the drag washer arrangement as compared to my reel. My reel doesn't contain the drag stack in this schematic...mine has only one metal keyed washer...nothing else! Maybe mine is an older design? Also the order of the two washers under the spool are reversed on mine(according to this schematic)...what's the correct order here? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Mo,

Check out this & Fred's post below it. Hopefully it will give you some insight 'til Fred happens along. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20168.msg219086#msg219086

I've got a couple, a 2 speed & one with a line counter but I haven't had a chance to delve into them yet, so I'm of little help with any tips other than what the schematic shows.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Yeah Tommy...that's the drag stack I keep seeing...but mine only has one thick keyed metal washer. There is room for one friction washer...I'm betting its missing. I also saw in that link where Fred said the order of the washers under the spool are metal first and then friction...so mine is backwards. Thanks for the link...I missed that one somehow. 8)

foakes

Hi Mike --

Your exploded illustration is correct -- although there were a few variations...

And in 55 to 63 years -- yours could have easily been switched up incorrectly by someone along the way.

If using greased CFs -- just experiment with combos -- observing the function of each disc, spring, and washer for maximum efficiency, fit, and function.

If going with stock Resistex discs -- let me know so I can send you what you need.  N/C

Looks like a good spool -- if the reel is the same -- it will serve you well for big cats and such.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on February 09, 2017, 07:11:35 PM

If going with stock Resistex discs -- let me know so I can send you what you need.  N/C

Looks like a good spool -- if the reel is the same -- it will serve you well for big cats and such.

Best,

Fred

I was going to trim the Resistex from under the spool to fit inside the front of the spool, under the thick keyed washer, and use a carbontex under the spool. If this mission fails...I'd love to have you send me those stock Resistex discs. The rest of the reel looks great, a few nicks but still nice. That was the plan...catfishin' it. Many of the locals use these large spinners on surf rods for distance when current changes require you to reach out. Thanks Fred...you da man! 8)

mo65

OK sports fans...I have a "frankenstack" drag system assembled...and by Golly it's smooth and strong! ;D  At the very least it will serve the purpose until I get the correct washers from Fred. The first photo shows the drag components and the back side of the spool.  I kept the "reverse" order of the under gear washers because those screws look like a carbontex grinder. I used a #6-155 Penn HT-100 under the spool, greased with Cal's. The second pic is the front of the spool, the trimmed Resistex washer fit perfect under the thick keyed washer, I'm convinced there should have been one here. The last shot is the complete reel. I'm thinking I'll spool 'er up with some 20lb. mono and try fishin' the ol' girl. 8)   

Rivverrat

MIKE, your pics here helped me a lot. had 2 washers i couldnt quite figure out... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 06, 2017, 11:15:03 PM
MIKE, your pics here helped me a lot. had 2 washers i couldnt quite figure out... Jeff

Glad I could help Jeff. The drag system on these reels looks almost lacking by modern standards, but I have to be honest, it does feel strong. I'm not aware of actual numbers, I never applied a scale, but by handling it I'd say it would be enough to fish 30lb. mono. I've never spooled mine yet..I'm way behind on projects. 8)

Rivverrat

Not spooled this one yet either. Just got it back together. The handle still needs to be shimmed. I'm also wanting to something in regard to finishing / coating the spool. 

Just tightening down the drag & twisting the spool by hand I would say 10 lbs. of drag is very easily reached. I dont know how much further I'd push that with the anti reverse placing the load on the brass main gear. I'll fill the spool with 60 lb. braid & tie a 40 mono, 10'-15' leader. While keeping the drag at 10 lbs. or below. This set will whoop 90 % of all cats in slow, open water.

A stronger anti reverse could easily be designed & fit into these reels. But you no what... I'm not going to bother with it. Much rather enjoy these reels as & for what they are.... Jeff 

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 07, 2017, 04:38:05 AM
  Just tightening down the drag & twisting the spool by hand I would say 10 lbs. of drag is very easily reached.

Yep...same thing I was thinking. I agree about leaving this one as is...it should be a very capable catfishing reel in stock form. Although I'm a fan of more "old school" techniques(bait clicker set on a conventional and ramming home a big J hook) my brother has been experimenting with these large spinning reels and circle hooks. For channel cats it's nearly failproof, just let the rod load up and he's hooked. 8)

Rivverrat

In the past I've never been big on spinners. I'll always love & my conventional reels will always be my first choice.  However my desire to get baits in front of Cats no matter the conditions.... I've come around to seeing a need for a good egg beater.
Plus these reels make great loaner reels.

Some of my Quicks will be mine & my sons. Loaned to no one who isnt a regular fisher dude....Jeff