spectra volume expansion ?????

Started by bill19803, February 10, 2017, 02:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

Its  that  time  of year  when the mind  starts  thinking  about  fall,  usually  prompted  by  a party  boat  posting their  tuna  schedule    for    fall.   So  they posted  yesterday,  I made my  reservations   and being bored  decided    to   work on  the big gear. Spindle  arbors needed  to be  waxed   and  spectra needed   to  be inspected  for   flaws   and line  reinstalled   with tension,. Pulled  the      130 lb   cortland  off the    80  stw    using  fin nor a12. Waxed  and then  rewound  it back  on  with   some drag.  And  not all  of it   would  go back on. Cut  out a bunch   spliced  it  together   and   finished  the   stw.   Did the   same   to  the   atd  80   and  same  drill  it   wouldnt all   fit. Both  spools  are hard  as a  rock  so  i  dont think  its being  caused by loose    spectra. 

Do anyone have a handle    why  this is happening? I    sure  want to   stop it   since there  are   6 more   big reels   to   do.  I may be bored  but not   quite that bored.

alantani

Well, it's not going to expand,  but you might not be able to get all of it back on if it's not wound tightly enough.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

You put it on too loose and it will cause problems.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Isn't Cortland Dacron, not spectra? But "some drag" may not be enough drag!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on February 11, 2017, 05:25:42 AM
Isn't Cortland Dacron, not spectra? But "some drag" may not be enough drag!

Cortland also sells Spectra.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

reel man

Might be a dumb thought, but did you refill the same reel that the spectra came off of?  I made that mistake refilling a 50T with a spool fill from a 50TW.

FatTuna

Cortland makes quality spectra as well as dacron.

I'm going to go with the majority. My guess is it wasn't put back on as tight.

I bought a line spooler to do my reels by hand. The tackle shop wasn't getting it tight enough. I have it mounted to a piece of plywood with two cinder blocks on either side. I took an old bench and took a hole saw to it. Used an old fixed rod holder and mounted it. I tighten the spooler to the point where it's a workout to do it in low gear. Takes about 30-40 minutes to do one reel but it's worth it. That's not including the splice and topshop, just backing. If you can crank it in high gear at all, it's not tight enough. The backing is as hard as a rock when I'm done.

bill19803

well  ill  go   with  the   consensus  here  that i  didnt use   enough   drag   so  off  it    comes    from atd80w   and  then  back  on   this time  with a low  gear   crank.  Oh  my  aching   wrist.   I  didnt  want  to hear  what i heard  but  afraid   you all are  right. Another   whole  afternoon   of  cranking.

Keta

Jerry Brown recommends 10#, I put it on around 15#.  It should be rock hard on the spool.

Mark Twain

conchydong

Quote from: Keta on February 11, 2017, 03:24:10 PM
Jerry Brown recommends 10#, I put it on around 15#.  It should be rock hard on the spool.

This^