On to the ABU/Zebco Cardinal 6 & 7

Started by Midway Tommy, February 10, 2017, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

You can see the design flaw right here. The nylon is too thin near the oscillation arm. Once it cracks. Then its done.
Life is Good!

mo65

Looks like your Cardinal project is being hijacked by antique plastic much the same as my Spinfisher project. I believe it's just something we'll be seeing even more of as time passes...but continued interest in the reels will bring the parts solutions. That reel looks great inside Daron, nice work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Interesting reels; not as familiar with them as I'd like to be.  Plastics (in all their various versions) have their place, but I just shake my head as to why they are used in places that receive some stress or pressure where the part involved should be made as strong as reasonably possible.  So, I'm not that familiar with engineering & manufacturing of small parts, but how much could a reel manufacturer save by making a small plastic part like this connector vs a more durable metal one?  Can it really be that much?  I've had a lot of trouble with plastic in a couple of particular areas in spinning reels, one being oscillation slider blocks and the other being bail arms.  I'm thinking of the anti-reverse dogs on the Mitchell 300s too, which were metal for many years, then went to plastic; the metal ones, even many years old, always seem more durable then the later plastic ones, which I see all the time with chipped teeth.

Frank

Shark Hunter

What really puzzles me, is that this part is metal in the smaller Cardinal 3 and 4, but Nylon in the larger 6 and 7. Go Figure?
Life is Good!

Gfish

I have a realm of reels in my personal classification system, that'er what I think of as very well designed, but manufactured with low quality materials, either overall, or with certain parts. All Diawas I've had, are in this realm. For example, had a '70's Silvercast ultralight rod/reel combo. Snagged up, using 2 lb. test, the rod handle broke in 1/2 right above the reel seat. Put it ona fly rod and dropped it another day, and the antireverse lever broke into unrepairable pieces. Parts on Shimano products come to mind also.
Some Swedish made Abu baitcasters come close to being in this realm, but they seem to use pretty strong plastic & graphite materials.
Based on reading stuff on this forum and ownership of a Zebco Cardinal 4, I'mna put this genera(cardinals)into that realm. Probably great reels when fresh from the factory, but too many delicate parts that don't age well.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 26, 2017, 04:27:15 AM
What really puzzles me, is that this part is metal in the smaller Cardinal 3 and 4, but Nylon in the larger 6 and 7. Go Figure?

I'm sure it had to do with creating a stress factor weak point. The Cardinal 3 & 4 were designed as light freshwater reels so chances were pretty small that they would encounter a lot of torque & stress on the entire mechanism. Given the 6 & 7 were considered heavy fresh/light saltwater reels they may have tried to engineer a somewhat weaker breaking point before the reel implodes or explodes under heavy stress.   ;)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

I am noticing some details in these photo's.
Both reels in Fred's pic have straight oscillating arms.
The Picture of my 6 and 7 have the curved arms.
I'm guessing these are first Generation.
Later to the straight arms with the improved part?
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Lo and Behold,
I have found the individual that makes the upgraded parts for these.
There are two different upgrades. One for the curved arm and one for the straight.
This guy has skills.
Weak link Corrected. Thank You Zebco ;)
Life is Good!

reelrepair123

good morning  daron,   that brass one sure is pretty,  how much did he charge for that one?   kindly send me the info.  the plastic one i sent you should be there in a day or two, take care my friend.    harryk

foakes

Perfect, Daron --

Good sleuthing.

And thanks for the tip on the reel bags -- those are 25% of what I was paying -- and will work very well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 30, 2017, 06:27:32 AM
Lo and Behold,
I have found the individual that makes the upgraded parts for these.
There are two different upgrades. One for the curved arm and one for the straight.
This guy has skills.
Weak link Corrected. Thank You Zebco ;)

NICE!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

Thanks Harry. I will send you his email. They were $10 each.
Glad it worked out Fred.
These aren't as nice as your polar fleece bags, but the price is right.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Very Nice 6X arrived today.
This reel feels very smooth.
Solid Main Gear. Straight Oscillation arm and all metal parts.
The way it should have been done the first time.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

A Big Shout Out to My Man Harry for providing a part that no one else on this earth had. ;)
The 6x is built just like the original Zebco 4. Solid and tough.
My Cardinal nest is Growing Tommy. ;D
Life is Good!