On to the ABU/Zebco Cardinal 6 & 7

Started by Midway Tommy, February 10, 2017, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Looking good, Daron! Looks like they're all in really nice condition and appears they're starting to hatch pretty fast now.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

reelrepair123

good  morning  daron,   those cardinal reels are a thing of beauty, imagine them being that old and working like a fine swiss watch,  they are so smooth and very strong,  use them in the best of health, enjoy them.   harryk

Whit

Daron:

Can you please post or PM me the contact details of the guy who machines that little part that goes on the end of the oscillation arm?

Thanks!

Shark Hunter

Do a search for Mr. Tangles. That is the name of his ebay store. He is Based in the UK.
He doesn't have any more in stock yet.
Life is Good!

happyhooker

Those are dandy Cardinals, Daron.

I understand the idea of having an expendable part in a mechanism to take the brunt of any untoward force.  Kinda like a shear bolt on a lawnmower blade or a shear pin on a snowblower auger.  But, on a spinning reel, like the Cardinals we discussed earlier, why put the expendable part on the oscillation mechanism?  The rotor will still spin with the handle, even though the line won't be laid properly.

Frank

Rivverrat

Is the anti reverse on these reels as strong as it appears to be in the pics ?  Reminds of what D.A.M. used in some of their later models...Jeff

foakes

It is similar to the DAM Champion series to a certain extent -- however the Cardinal is a little tougher I believe -- since the stop lever is stronger and shorter for less flex.

Both are very rugged, very adequate, and over-built --  but the Cardinal A/R systems are a little better, IMO.

Neither will let you down though.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Really simple design that works well.
These reels are still as smooth as they were 40 plus years ago.
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

The anti-reverse dog/lever is more than adequate and will more than likely never fail if used appropriately, but like anything, if used incorrectly, or abused, they could have the possibility of bending, chipping and/or even failure. A prime example would be slamming a hookset home with the anti-reverse set and allowing slack in the rotor. I have seen people jerk so hard without tension on the dog that the dog got bent when the pinion slot slammed against the dog/lever. A hook should never be set that way no matter what the design or who the maker is. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Shark Hunter

I had several members message me on the availability of the repair kits for the oscillation mechanism.
I just bought 7 more and they are available from his store at this time.
They aren't cheap, but I think this is a great upgrade to these reels.
I can't produce this small part with hand tools.
The shipping is steep, but I wheeled and dealed.
He will work with you if you buy a few.
Just beware of the global shipping policy. It will bite you if you don't know how to get around it.
Separate shipping for each item.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABU-CARDINAL-66-EARLY-MODEL-SWINGING-ARM-MODIFICATION-KIT/182994372382?hash=item2a9b50871e:g:Bn8AAOSwIjJZU0Mz
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABU-CARDINAL-MODELS-4-4X-44-44X-6-6X-7-7X-66-77-SWINGING-ARM-MODIFICATION-KIT/182994372395?hash=item2a9b50872b:g:pJEAAOSwyWZZU0Ga
Life is Good!

reelrepair123

good morning daron,   just saw on ebay some guy is selling the plastic connector for the end of the shaft for $9.99 plus $4.00 shipping, he has 5 of them.   harryk

Shark Hunter

I got these brass ones for less than that Harry.
I will send you one.
Life is Good!

reelrepair123

not only cheaper, the brass one,  i don't think will break like the plastic ones do.  thank you my friend, are you gearing up for those ladyfish?.  harryk

Shark Hunter

Picked up a really Nice Cardinal 7 last week.
I decided to put the new Brass oscillation slide in to see how it fits.
The only modification I had to make was to the pin. I had to sand it ever so slightly to fit.
I didn't want to drill out the piece because there isn't enough meat there already.
Works flawlessly now.
Harry, The brass and the original are on the way to you. ;)
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

I've really never understood why the 3 & 4 had and oscillation arm with a permanently attached block and the 6 & 7 had the nylon/plastic replaceable link until their last versions. I wonder if it was to create a weak link in the event a huge fish was hooked that could tear up the reel, or if they anticipated wear at that spot on the larger reels that wasn't a factor on the smaller 3 & 4. We'll probably never know for sure, but the brittleness of those old nylon/plastic links is unfortunate and kind of a pain in the rear. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE