NEWELL S220-5 PINION NOT DISENGAGING FAR ENOUGH

Started by SNAPS, February 12, 2017, 08:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNAPS

As the topic says: This is a friends reel.
1) He installed new bearings and smoothie drags.
2) The reassemble is correct, I triple checked this, I have rebuilt Newells before.
IN FREE SPOOL MODE:
3) When I try to tighten up on the left side bearing to take up some of the play, the spool gets pushed in to the pinion gear, and totally binds WHERE AS THE HANDLE TURNS ALSO.
4) I switched out my red newell handle and gear side with his and it works flawlessly, and I can tightem the left side bearing cap all the way in and she DOES NOT BIND AND THE HANDLE DOES NOT TURN while in free spool.
5) I lined up his and mine side by side , my pinion gear retracts further in to the plate assy than his does. is this because the springs are weak and therefore not retracting the pinion enough ??

PacRat

Try swapping jacks only. It could be that the tabs on the jack are not tall enough to fully retract the pinion. Be careful if you decide to tweak the tabs because it'll cost you a $20 bill if you break one. I don't think weak jack springs would cause this.
-Mike

bluefish69

The Jack Plate could be on an angle between the 2 posts. Been there before

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

reel man

On some of the S series and shim washer had to be put under the right side bear.  This would push the bearing out to the bearing stop on the spool shaft to keep it from contacting the shoulders on the spool.

SNAPS

Gentleman Thanks for all the replies I will reinspect as per all youre suggestions.

Best Regards

alantani

try shimming the right side plate bearing.  a washer or two under the right side plate bearing would move the spool axially to the left.  i'll bet that will take care of the problem!  alternatively, if the bearing cup is adjustable, crank it in farther and see if that does the trick.  either way! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Quote from: reel man on February 12, 2017, 10:19:44 PM
On some of the S series and shim washer had to be put under the right side bear.  This would push the bearing out to the bearing stop on the spool shaft to keep it from contacting the shoulders on the spool.
I had something similar and found the problem to be a too thick washer/shim inside the opposite side bearing.   Similar to what Alan suggests.
Cornelis

SNAPS

Coupla shims under the right side bearing did the trick.
Did they always come with shims? I dont remember. My buddy said he didnt see any in there upon disassembly.

Decker

Damn, you guys are good!  AT.com: The whole is greater than the sum of the parts :)