There is no spec data on the spool size and stuffs

I'm gonna use this for popping

The meaning of life is to find your gift
The purpose of life is to give it away

I love my Maxel Reels and Rods👌👌👌

exp2000

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/

New Release Daiwa Saltist Spin 2016 Preview:

This was unexpected given the release of the Nero clone earlier last year but yep, Daiwa have done it again; resurrecting the reel I just love to hate. But wait, there's more!

They finally abandoned the horrendous Handle / maingear combination that produced so many shattered gears and was a technician's worst nightmare to disassemble. Rumor has it that it has been replaced by a more robust standard design. As I said before, anything would be an improvement! It is still manufactured from zinc alloy but apparently heavier construction and hopefully stronger. Unfortunately Daiwa has also dropped the high speed gear ratio which for many anglers was the main attraction for this reel.

The pot luck flimsy Delrin bushes in the bail roller have now been replaced by a regular bearing with mag-seal shields and the pinion bearing also is shielded by a mag seal. There is still plenty of healthy online debate about the practicality and reliability of this technology and as my exposure is rather limited, I really cannot offer an informed opinion based on personal experience at this point in time.

But just when it seemed Daiwa was doing so well we still find that same weak composite "air bail" wire adorning this new revision. Given it's fragile construction and daunting expense, I really think that Daiwa should supply an ex-gratis spare in the box of every new purchase.

But despite this one lingering fault, I welcome this new revision with open arms because it will mean an end to my worst nightmare of trying to extract a hammered flared maingear shaft through an inner bearing race whilst still assembled in the gearbox.

How Daiwa techs dealt with this I will never know! Perhaps they just drilled it out and replaced the maingear. Hey! There you go :)

The Nero is a discount version similar to the earlier Saltist but featuring a solid bail wire but it' still got the same crappy gears.
~

bhale1

hello,
I'm with exp2000 on an the magseal debate. I'm not buying anything that I cant service myself, or at least try to. that's what brought me to AT to begin with. For what its worth you may want to look into the new Diawa BG! there is a review somewhere on this site, and another by Alan Hawk on his site. Great bang for the buck, and if you get it from  XXXXX it would be pre-spooled with mono or braid. Just bought one for my wife, hoping to get over to San Diego soon to try it on some 1/2 day trips.
sorry, I'm new here too, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say where I got it or not!!
Brett

alantani

say anything you want as long as it's the truth......  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bhale1

LOL boss, just didn't want to seem like I was advertising for Charkbait! But, seriously, I bought one based on johndtuttle's tutorial review, and the one by Alan Hawk. For the price, full of braid, seemed like a no brained compared to the Saltist, which is what I originally planned to get for my wife...
Brett

swill88

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2017, 10:33:01 PM

can i quote you on that?  ::)

primeoctopus

@swill like Alan said you can as long as it's the truth,

Thank you all for the great info. Much appreciated

Afu

alantani

Quote from: swill88 on February 13, 2017, 11:27:09 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2017, 10:33:01 PM

can i quote you on that?  ::)

pretty much......  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

primeoctopus

I've requested for info on Okuma Azeros z90s

Would like to hear about that, I have a trip in 5days

I need to purchase early as it might take 3 days for shipping.

Afu

mley1

I'll second a vote for the Daiwa BG's.  I like them a lot. They seem to be pretty solid reels. I have an 8000, 6500, 5000, 4500, and a 3500. I've fished with the 4500 and the 5000 the most, and I'm very pleased with them. They have very smooth drags, with nice cranking power. The 5000 is on a 10ft Penn Prevail surf rod, and it will cast a good long ways. I have it loaded with 50lb braid. I haven't caught any really large fish with it yet, but hope that will change soon. The 4500 I have on an Ugly Stik Tiger light 7'er. It has 40lb braid on it. I've caught some nice reds in the surf from a pier with it. And, had a nice 4-5ft shark with it. I got the shark to the pier, and was trying to get the net down to him and had a fellow fisherman helping with the net. Alas, it was not to be. The shark bit through my leader and was gone. His size is a guestimate. He was fun to fight on the 4500 though. Took lots of drag, with several good runs. The reel did great. I can't wait to get some good fish on the bigger reels, when I'm rigged properly for the bigger fish.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

bhale1

Marty,
that's good to hear, shark on the 4500! that's what I got for my wife, put it on a 7' Proteus MH. hopefully she will be able to handle those "big" calicos next time on the 1/2 day boat. ;D..still trying to convice her she would be better off using the penn 155's I'm fixing up right now, but she likes to "toss" her bait out farther than the people next to her...including me! hate it when she out fishes me'''...but its all fun!!! ;D
Brett

exp2000

Quote from: primeoctopus on February 14, 2017, 08:32:01 AM
I've requested for info on Okuma Azeros z90s

Would like to hear about that, I have a trip in 5days

I need to purchase early as it might take 3 days for shipping.

Afu

I am sure you would be on much safer ground with the Daiwa BG.
~

primeoctopus

So I went to the local tackle shop ,

The Daiwa Saltist looks like a huge chunk of a Machine. I mean I couldn't
Even hold it as it was too huge , at least for me.

I took your advice exp2000, I took the Daiwa BG . The bail wire is much
Thinner than even on a penn spin fisher v,

Although the reel looks much smaller and better , I have an interest to it

Gotta do some more research, Atleast by tomorrow I have to purchase it and make
It ready.

Four more days for a new adventure...🤗🤗🤗🤗

barkley1956

Quote from: primeoctopus on February 15, 2017, 05:57:16 AM
So I went to the local tackle shop ,

The Daiwa Saltist looks like a huge chunk of a Machine. I mean I couldn't
Even hold it as it was too huge , at least for me.

I took your advice exp2000, I took the Daiwa BG . The bail wire is much
Thinner than even on a penn spin fisher v,

Although the reel looks much smaller and better , I have an interest to it

Gotta do some more research, Atleast by tomorrow I have to purchase it and make
It ready.

Four more days for a new adventure...🤗🤗🤗🤗

What size Saltist?

Glos

type in "Joe WWJ" on yt and see the sad faith of saltist, after bg sw, that he fished with
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.