Penn 70 value question

Started by Keta, February 14, 2017, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I need to dump some reels to get out of a hole, what is a lightly used and well maintained International 70 filled with JB 130# hollow worth?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

I think around $550 would be fair. You could try for $600 and see if you get any bites. If you are looking for a quick sale, I'd say $500 at the lowest.

fishgrain

about $500 - personally I have never done well with 70's. (increased depreciation from retail)

many people have dropped even their 50's to fish lighter with spectra, and the 70 size was even more hard hit by this trend shift

I see the 70 as a niche reel with limited appeal - too large for stand up, and crossing over to chair seems people favor the 80

also think you will REALLY lose your shirt on the $200 retail of JB, it's a nice selling point but not one I've personally had any luck increasing prices with

thx, Jay

Keta

I sell JB so it was not retail but I can take it off too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

I agree that selling a reel with line doesn't increase the value too much. It increases the appeal a bit though.

I look at it from a buyer's and seller's perspective. Not saying this applies to you but when buying from someone I don't know on Ebay/CL, I'm always questioning how old the line is and what kind of condition it's in. Every time I buy a reel, the seller always tries to use it as a selling point but I know from experience that used line isn't always what people say it is. I've bought a few reels that looked good but underneath the braid was all knotted up. I've bought reels where the seller said it was full of new braid and it was really dacron. When I bought my 130s the guy told me the line was brand new and that the drags were replaced. The line was rotted and the drags had wear. Only the topshots were new. Last week I pulled some old dacron off some Internationals and they had spool damage. Line is also really personal. Everyone does it differently. I sold a guy an expensive spinning reel. Spooled with brand new 100lb JB hollow. The guy later told me he pulled it off because he wanted a different lb test. Personally, I'm always looking to buy at a price that gives me some flexibility in case I need to dump money into it. The used reel market is a total gamble. I actually prefer if a reel comes without the line so I can look at the spool. Also, I get to spool it with brand new line, no guess work.

As a seller, I'm always looking to get what I can for my stuff. I usually start off a bit high and then progressively lower the price until I start getting bites. Sometimes I'll set it with best offer. Typically, I'll get a bunch of low balls at first but I don't let that affect me. If you are patient, the right person will come along and pay close to what you are asking. Very rarely have I had success getting my money's worth out of the line. The only time that happens is when that buyer wants exactly what I have. I sold a few reels recently but I pulled the braid off of and saved it on those spools you gave me. If you don't get a good price for the full package, you could always sell the reel on Ebay and then post the spool of braid up on here. You could also save it.

I don't think a 70 is too big for stand up though. A lot of guys up here do stand up with 80s.

TheReelShop

Keta whats up. I do a lot of buying and reselling on eBay. The difference with me in what I sell on eBay is that I sell them with no gambles and I try to show that precisely. It allows me to stand out from the rest. Of course though my prices are not sitting next to the gamblers. I have been successful with this method. Besides craigslist, I have bought all my reels from eBay. Ive not had one problem. To justify my opinion, Im talking about over 20 reels purchased. At the end of the day I serviced them and ultimately paid prices for which would be ok had there been issues with the reel to not come out losing. So in my experience, and briefly doing some research on eBay, your reel is selling between $415-$515 with line. Theses are not prices listed but rather sold where people actually paid. Now, line does not necessarily give value to your reel, but it is something that would cost the buyer at some point because ultimately they need line to fish. Since you have JB hollow #130 which is not cheap the best way to sell is 1/2 showing a picture that it does in fact have hollow core (unless its the only thing showing and no top shot) and 2/2 show the package of the JB (but we most likely never have these around). Good pictures are 100% crucial no matter where you sell. if you need help with eBay if thats a route you end up taking, i'll be more than happy to help.

$550-$600 would be my asking on eBay and consider these expenses ------->>>> (12.9% + 0.29¢ fees, + shipping).

Quote from: FatTuna on February 15, 2017, 12:43:21 AM
I agree that selling a reel with line doesn't increase the value too much. It increases the appeal a bit though.

I look at it from a buyer's and seller's perspective. Not saying this applies to you but when buying from someone I don't know on Ebay/CL, I'm always questioning how old the line is and what kind of condition it's in. Every time I buy a reel, the seller always tries to use it as a selling point but I know from experience that used line isn't always what people say it is. I've bought a few reels that looked good but underneath the braid was all knotted up. I've bought reels where the seller said it was full of new braid and it was really dacron. When I bought my 130s the guy told me the line was brand new and that the drags were replaced. The line was rotted and the drags had wear. Only the topshots were new. Last week I pulled some old dacron off some Internationals and they had spool damage. Line is also really personal. Everyone does it differently. I sold a guy an expensive spinning reel. Spooled with brand new 100lb JB hollow. The guy later told me he pulled it off because he wanted a different lb test. Personally, I'm always looking to buy at a price that gives me some flexibility in case I need to dump money into it. The used reel market is a total gamble. I actually prefer if a reel comes without the line so I can look at the spool. Also, I get to spool it with brand new line, no guess work.

As a seller, I'm always looking to get what I can for my stuff. I usually start off a bit high and then progressively lower the price until I start getting bites. Sometimes I'll set it with best offer. Typically, I'll get a bunch of low balls at first but I don't let that affect me. If you are patient, the right person will come along and pay close to what you are asking. Very rarely have I had success getting my money's worth out of the line. The only time that happens is when that buyer wants exactly what I have. I sold a few reels recently but I pulled the braid off of and saved it on those spools you gave me. If you don't get a good price for the full package, you could always sell the reel on Ebay and then post the spool of braid up on here. You could also save it.

I don't think a 70 is too big for stand up though. A lot of guys up here do stand up with 80s.

Fat Tuna where you reside by? east side?

Keta

Thank you for the help, here's what I posted in on AT's sale section. 

alantani.com/index.php?topic=20769.0

Penn International 70 Big Game Special  lightly used with a small spot of pitting on the bottom of the side plate and some minor shallow scratches.  I would like to get $550 plus shipping for this reel but will consider offers.

Mark Twain

FatTuna

Quote from: TheReelShop on February 19, 2017, 05:13:16 PM

I fish out of Gloucester, Mass.

TheReelShop

Quote from: FatTuna on February 20, 2017, 06:46:34 AM

I fish out of Gloucester, Mass.

oh ok ok your up north.. alot of big fish up there eh?

handi2

I was doing the same when ebay first started. Its so far back I was using a WEBTV to access the internet.

Keta whats up. I do a lot of buying and reselling on eBay. The difference with me in what I sell on eBay is that I sell them with no gambles and I try to show that precisely. It allows me to stand out from the rest. Of course though my prices are not sitting next to the gamblers. I have been successful with this method. Besides craigslist, I have bought all my reels from eBay. Ive not had one problem. To justify my opinion, Im talking about over 20 reels purchased. At the end of the day I serviced them and ultimately paid prices for which would be ok had there been issues with the reel to not come out losing. So in my experience, and briefly doing some research on eBay, your reel is selling between $415-$515 with line. Theses are not prices listed but rather sold where people actually paid. Now, line does not necessarily give value to your reel, but it is something that would cost the buyer at some point because ultimately they need line to fish. Since you have JB hollow #130 which is not cheap the best way to sell is 1/2 showing a picture that it does in fact have hollow core (unless its the only thing showing and no top shot) and 2/2 show the package of the JB (but we most likely never have these around). Good pictures are 100% crucial no matter where you sell. if you need help with eBay if thats a route you end up taking, i'll be more than happy to help.

$550-$600 would be my asking on eBay and consider these expenses ------->>>> (12.9% + 0.29¢ fees, + shipping).

Quote from: FatTuna on February 15, 2017, 12:43:21 AM

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL