300 Drag Washers

Started by basszilla, February 15, 2017, 06:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basszilla

Is there a good substitute for Mitchell 300 drag washers, maybe something from Penn or another brand? I need both teflon and fiber drag washers to rebuild my spools. Buying singles on eBay specifically for Mitchell would cost almost as much as complete spools.

handi2

I can punch some Carbontex washers for you but would need a picture of your spool. Ive done many of them but the spools are different from different years.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basszilla

I just looked at these spools again, and it seems I have three different types.

Some have a 3-spoke adjusting knob and a Teflon washer about 0.87" OD. These spools are flat on top with no recess for the washer. I also have some with a 4-spoke knob and a fiber washer about 0.70" OD. These spools have a recess cut into the top that the washer fits into. The bottom of the brake spring is the same OD as the recess and washer. The third type has no washer. There's a recess about 0.63" diameter, and the bottom of the brake spring is also 0.63", so it fits into the recess.

Have I made a mistake in assuming the last type should have a washer? Did Mitchell make an early spool like this in which the bottom of the brake spring rides directly on the bakelite?

???

Jack

Donnyboat

Check on Fred Oakes, there has been quite a bit on D.A.M. reels & mitchell reels on the forum today, and nil response from Fred, any one living near him, that can see if he & his wife are okay, strange know fred, the weather has been rough in his area, for a whyle now, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Quote from: basszilla on February 16, 2017, 12:19:40 AM
I just looked at these spools again, and it seems I have three different types.

Some have a 3-spoke adjusting knob and a Teflon washer about 0.87" OD. These spools are flat on top with no recess for the washer. I also have some with a 4-spoke knob and a fiber washer about 0.70" OD. These spools have a recess cut into the top that the washer fits into. The bottom of the brake spring is the same OD as the recess and washer. The third type has no washer. There's a recess about 0.63" diameter, and the bottom of the brake spring is also 0.63", so it fits into the recess.

Have I made a mistake in assuming the last type should have a washer? Did Mitchell make an early spool like this in which the bottom of the brake spring rides directly on the bakelite?

???

Jack

From your large vs small question thread  a couple of weeks ago. "The 81-825 & 9101 small (shallow) spools did not have a teflon or fiber washer. The 81-826 & 9102 large (deep) spools had a fiber washer. Both the 9121 small (shallow) and 9122 large (deep) spools came with a teflon washer. With that said, there can be some inconsistency in what you might find from spool to spool of the same depth/line capacities."

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basszilla

Hey Tommy, you only had to answer this one twice.  :-[  Sorry I missed it. In that case, I probably don't need new washers, was only trying to replace the ones that are "missing." Thanks for the kind offer Keith!

Jack

basszilla

Has anyone heard from Fred? Is he OK?

foakes

He is at Fred Hall...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basszilla

Cool, glad to hear from you! I've invested in a fishing kayak since my last visit here, and one of my Mitchells has caught its first bass. Life is good!

Jack

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on March 04, 2017, 05:56:52 PM
He is at Fred Hall...

Best,

Fred
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: foakes on March 04, 2017, 05:56:52 PM
He is at Fred Hall...

Best,

Fred

Are you sure?  Last I heard he was digging out... ;)
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

CH

Quote from: basszilla on March 05, 2017, 03:39:44 AM
Cool, glad to hear from you! I've invested in a fishing kayak since my last visit here, and one of my Mitchells has caught its first bass. Life is good!

Jack

NICE!
That a big white bass or a hybrid?
I'm a kayak fisherman too!
Addicted & own 5 yaks.
Easy to do, so don't say you were not warned!
:)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

basszilla

Man, I love these wide angle cell phone lenses. That's an 11" white bass. Looks like a whale!