First Modification From Stock and Where To Start.

Started by wailua boy, February 16, 2017, 03:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

I'm wanting to mod up some of my reels. All my reels are stock except a newer(China) senator with gearing swapped to Newell(that was purchased 2nd hand with gearing strapped to a ulua pole). I'm mainly wondering about my older senators. I have seen guys swap out spools and frames but forget which is actually best and if anyone knows approx cost, that info would be appreciated. I have a few first gen senators and a few throughout ages, are any of the generations best for modifying. If anyone has suggestions for  spinners, that'd be appreciated too. Most the reels will be used for sliding and paddling out but also light trolling.Thanks guys.

mley1

Uh oh, you're fixing to go down a slippery slope. I hope you have your wallet handy, as it can get expensive quick, depending on what you decide to do with your reels. I recently built up a 113H. It's got most everything upgraded. It has a new Tiburon frame, Cortez side plates, stainless gears, stainless double dog bridge and sleeve, stainless yoke, upgraded drags and new eccentric lever. Everything external is black, including the line, except for the drag star and the handle arm. I plan to find me a black handle arm too. I spent some money on the build. I don't even want to add it up. My wife may be reading this. LOL

When I was finished the only thing left of the original reel was the drag star, the handle and arm, and the eccentric and its spring. It was a learning experience, and the folks here were very helpful. I read a LOT of the tutorials in the Senator section. All the parts were sourced here, from Ohana.

Building a reel, or upgrading a reel is such a personal endeavor. Personal choices and preferences play a large part in what you decide to upgrade. It may be helpful to folks who may want to give suggestions if they knew more about what you have, and what your goals are for the piece, what you want to fish for with it, and maybe how you want to fish with it.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

mley1

Almost forgot, I kept the original harness lugs too.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

wailua boy

Quote from: mley1 on February 16, 2017, 05:04:26 AM
Uh oh, you're fixing to go down a slippery slope. I hope you have your wallet handy, as it can get expensive quick, depending on what you decide to do with your reels. I recently built up a 113H. It's got most everything upgraded. It has a new Tiburon frame, Cortez side plates, stainless gears, stainless double dog bridge and sleeve, stainless yoke, upgraded drags and new eccentric lever. Everything external is black, including the line, except for the drag star and the handle arm. I plan to find me a black handle arm too. I spent some money on the build. I don't even want to add it up. My wife may be reading this. LOL

When I was finished the only thing left of the original reel was the drag star, the handle and arm, and the eccentric and its spring. It was a learning experience, and the folks here were very helpful. I read a LOT of the tutorials in the Senator section. All the parts were sourced here, from Ohana.

Building a reel, or upgrading a reel is such a personal endeavor. Personal choices and preferences play a large part in what you decide to upgrade. It may be helpful to folks who may want to give suggestions if they knew more about what you have, and what your goals are for the piece, what you want to fish for with it, and maybe how you want to fish with it.

That sounds sweet. I would like to fully modify out a reel one of these days. I'm thinking now about more cost efficient upgrades for the more financially challenged angler , lets say; gotta keep the funds available for picking up new reels. Maybe if you had to pick one mod, what would it be? Ive been buying everything locally for the last couple years and had a strict policy about not buying online but I've decided heck with that policy and started buying online and yeah its sweet i've found reels ive been looking for years and now I can get about anything I've been looking for but when do you stop. haha This could get ugly.  

Heres a pic of the majority of my reels. And speaking of wives listening I made the slip of mentioning the asbestos washers in some of the older reels and the reel collection has lost some popularity in the house.

wailua boy

And the pic

wailua boy

I was thinking about these reels in particular and/or longbeach 66

Bill B

WB, I usually start with greased carbon fiber drags.  From there handle and arm and stainless steel gear sleeve, and aluminum spool. Beyond that I have not exceeded the remaining stock parts. As previously stated you are going to need a Deep pocket book, frames, gears, etc.  I would change the drag washers and see where you want to go from there.....when a stock part fails, then upgrade to the next level....JMO.....good luck brother and keep us updated as you progress......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

I would start with the reel you intend to fish the most.  Personally, I think the drag stack, then SS sleeve, then handle upgrades should be first.  Maybe followed by double dog bridge.

I do like the tiburon frames, and spools on the Newells though ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mley1

I agree with what's been stated so far on first upgrades. Carbon drags are far superior to most stock drags of old. All my Abu's got drag upgrades as soon as I could get them. Same for my Penn's. Carbon drags from smoothdrag.com and the upgraded drag stack that Bryan puts together are fantastic. Plus, there's the awesome drag inserts Motive Fabrication.

The great thing about being a member here at AT is there is so much to learn, and you're learning from the best in the business here. The guys that are pro's here are the innovators, developers, and testers, of some really awesome reel mods. They are the BEST at what they do. And, they don't mind sharing their knowledge and expertise. I absolutely love being here and participating. You will too.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

mizmo67

Quote from: mley1 on February 16, 2017, 05:04:26 AM
I spent some money on the build. I don't even want to add it up. My wife may be reading this. LOL

LOL I haven't added up the cost of my 501 yet. I'm going to assemble it after we get back and I'll look at the $ damage then. The guys took care of me but it's still not a cheap endeavor by any means!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com