Good rod leash/ lanyard?

Started by Gfish, February 18, 2017, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Lookin for a good, preferably do-it-yerself rod leash, mostly for kayak fishin. Like to get about 200lb. Breaking strength and a system that don't interfear with about 6-12" of rod holder coverin the rod-butt, or with my right hand just below the reel. System I use now got 100lb. cable ties 1/2 way up the butt, split ring, coiled weed eater line, trolling swivel and caribeaner clip. Can't seem to find stuff I want at the hardware store, especially somethin strong to attach to the rod butt.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sharkman

I use paracord and snap. The clip hooks into one of the eyes on kayak and the other around the stem of spinning reel

STRIPER LOU

Second that. Simply made with Parachute cord and SS snaps available on ebay. An easy double twist on the braid does the trick. My trolling outfits are always secured in this manner.
...............Lou

akfish

Go to a pet store and look at dog leashes. Many have brass clips and nylon chords.They'll work fine.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

One of our member's wife makes them and was selling them awhile back. Though I don't remember who (or should that be whom?).  Dominick  
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Some people make coiled leashes out of weed trimmer line.  Wrap the plastic line around a dowel and secure the ends, boil it or heat slowly with hot air, let it cool  (still on the dowel) then crimp your hardware on the end.  It's like a miniature surfboard leash.

I hate rod leashes and would rather risk loosing the rod.
-steve

David Hall

X4 on the parachord and either brass or stainless snap clips.  I use them on all my trolling rods.  If your yakking you need them on every piece of free gear onboard. 

Gfish

Thank you for alla responses fisher-gents. Kenton in the sub-forum "fishing Tackle for Sale" got some great lookin leash's. Alla info. gimme the do-it-yerself idea to use thick velcro(adjustable, lightweight), parachute cord, big trolling swivel, thick "coil molded"(what about old phone cord?) weed eater line anna s.s. clip. On this Island some technical stuff's difficult ta find, but it'll be fun to do 'till I perfect it.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wailua boy

I personally stay away from rod leashes...

Gfish

I turtled my yak once and was awfully glad, my 4 rigs and other stuff were crudely leashed in. Heck of a time rightin it in deep water. Great teaching experience, even when it came time to clean out saltwater saturated reels. Most difficult rehab - Shimano TLD 15, least - Penn 114HL. Only benifits I can see for no leash 'ed be the obvious freedom a rod manipulation, and mabey gettin to teach myself how ta kayak SCUBA dive like those guys I've seen that anchor up, toss their B.C. Jacket/tank overboard(inflated, of coarse) and somehow manage to get stuff on right, after droppin into the water. Sounds like fun, but I might be gettin too old for some stuff. Then you gotta find your gear, if it ain't too deep...
Gfish  

wailua boy

My fear is some how wrapping a rod tip with a large fish on and not only capsizing but potentially getting separated from your vessel. Poles that arent actively baited, kind of different story but they are still potential tangle hazards, especially if ever capsized in surf etc.

oc1

I'm repeating myself here, but continue to believe the only important leash is the one between your leg and the boat.  The wind can blow the boat away from you faster then you can swim.  It's a sick feeling.
-steve

Gfish

Good point guys. Definitely somethin to consider. So far have'nt been skilled/lucky enough to get one a those tow yer kayak a long way 40+ lbers. But I could see at least gettin toppled by side pullin large fish. Got a line cuttin knife attched to my PFD, but could I react in time? Hmmm..., special "break-away" leash mabey?
Gfish