Good rod leash/ lanyard?

Started by Gfish, February 18, 2017, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Anyway, heres what my DIY,and do it cheap , self has come up with after about an hour of fun in the hardware store(tackle & hardware shopin's the only kind I enjoy).

I regulated the single wrap(non-sticky) velcro to controling the 'chute cord, "over wrapped" all loops with stiching awl thread & sealed with superglue, used a trolling swivel to control line twist and attach coiled weed eater line(cool Steve, it works, 5 min. Boiling ona copper pipe) and a dog collar clip with marine grease on moving parts. May not need the trolling swivel, as the clip has a built in swivel on it's base. I think its lighter, less obtrusive, and stronger than what I had before.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Good job.  May something try to take it away from you.
-steve

wailua boy

That does look good. I've only lost one pole and it happened to be off a boat but I'll never forget that. One night pretty late 12:30am or so. We were fishing outside Lahaina harbor off a friends mooring. Eventually the boat was sold to Pacific Whale Foundation and the night before this happened the fishing was some off the best I have seen(in this region anyway)dont want to go into anymore detail than that. lol). I'm walking with pole in hand and make a stop for a cold beverage and leave the pole in  a barrel of line(butt stuck in the wraps of line) for a second and sure enough the poles launches right in front of my eyes. I'm maybe 8-10 feet away walking back and instead of pole launching completely over side its hopped out of barrel and is now leaning against railing and takes off towards the bow and this is all happening in seconds. I'm running after it nearly catch it made a grab or two and missed and its was literally within inches of my grasp. Finally its hits the bow and lauchs. It was a pretty large vessel approx 60ft(used as a snorkel/whale watch boat) and the pole practically ran from stern to bow. I still cant believe I missed it but oh well, there's always next time.

smnaguwa

Has anyone used surfboard leashes? I ask as my son is a surfer and has a bunch laying around.

Reel 224

Gfish; I did not want to feel foolish and ask, so thank you for show me that.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

When I's a kid, they taught me that the only foolish question, is the one ya don't ask. Then learned starting in grade-school, the world was full a insecure a__holes that couldn't wait make fun a ya for not knowing stuff. Even hada 5th grade teacher try embarrass me into silence. Hate to admit it but it worked for a number a years . Sorry, felt like gettin that offa my mind.
By the way Joe, thanks for your past posts on maggin penns, I did my Jigmaster 501, and tonight Imna do my narrowed 4/0 (in the pics.), works great!
I found a surfer leash( could bea scuba diver unit) and it was so sturdy I modified it for my 6/0 ona trolling rod, just subsitute it for the weed eater line in the picture, minus the trolling swivel as its gotta built in swivel. Now if I can just go serious boat trollin...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Ruth and I fish on the Naval pier in our area of NJ and we fish with rod stands at night with bait so the rod lanyard will come in handy. I don't want the rod and reel that i built for Ruth to disappear off the rod holder.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

smnaguwa

4' surfboard leash on eBay for ~$7.

Nuvole

Gfish

Yeah, I havin tangle problems with the coiled, springy weed eater line. Thinkin, simple like that'ed be better n' what I got now...
Gfish

oldmanjoe

One thing that i see with your leash is that when you remove it from your pipe or dowel , don`t just slide it off .
  Twist it opposite of how you wound it on  .  Easy to do with a drill .   You still can fix what you have now . 
  You`ll know when you have it rite ,the coils will spring back to about 2-3 long    There is a utube showing the process .   
   Pictures of mine ,copper tube and cable cuffs  joe
  Found the u tube            joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

I always use rod leashes on all my trolling rods. They are plenty long and made with rope. No problems.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JohnBSims

Hey GFish, I had the same problem when turtling in heavy swells. I made this kayak safety ladder which now makes it easy to flip and re-enter my yak:   ;)

sdlehr

Great idea, John! I'll have to make me one of them. This summer I'll be putting my kayak to use, I've had it for awhile and haven't done much with it.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector