DAM Quick 330N - Parts?

Started by Smols, February 19, 2017, 06:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

I inherited an old, rough DAM Quick 330N. In the process of removing the seemingly endless amounts brown grease and while it's looking much better, I will need at least a few parts before she can be fished.

Does anyone have parts for this reel? Maybe Fred... I am in need of the wavy washer that is the first in the drag stack as it is badly rusted (blue arrow in the picture). I will also need a crank arm and possibly a plastic washer that goes under the crank arm (this reel did not have one, but the schematic I found shows a washer there).

Lastly, it is feasible to replace the original hexagon drag washer with greased cf on this reel?

Thanks....

foakes

Right, Paul --

A Cal's greased CF, cut to the hex shape is a good upgrade.

Here are the parts you need -- they are new old stock from the early 80's.

Got the envelope addressed and ready to go -- will send out Tuesday, weather permitting, since the PO is closed tomorrow for President's Day.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Smols

Fred,

Amazing!  WOW, I know you have some inventory, but I am a bit shocked that you have these parts laying around. Thank you so much for the quick reply and for already dropping them in the envelope. Please let me know the total and I will get a check in the mail ASAP.

Will you be at the Long Beach Fred Hall show again this year?

Regards,
Paul

foakes

Yes, I will be there, Paul --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

Fred, just curious if you got my message regarding some parts for reels I was after. By the way good work on the 330.

foakes

Hi Andy --

No, I did not receive your message -- or it got lost in the "shuffle" (code word for my memory) -- sorry.

PM me again what you need -- and if I have it, and can spare it -- it is yours.

Been up to my neck in work, work, weather issues, repairs, services, builds for clients, tree work, house and many other issues.

Not much rest -- into bed last night at 12:20 -- up this morning at 4:50.

Fortunately no calls during the night.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

ETA on your parts is today, Paul --

Post some pics when you get her greased, buttoned up, and ready to go.

If you run into any other issues -- let us know.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Smols

Fred,

I am sick about the Quicks! I have seen some of your DAM Quick posts here in the past, but did not particularly like the looks of them - until I received a 330N recently and opened it up. Now I understand when you say that these reels today would cost up to $300 as I have fallen in love with the Quick German craftsmanship and now when I look at them, I see a thing of beauty.

Thank you again for sending the parts for my 330N! it is now fully cleaned, serviced and upgraded with a new cf washer and a smooth drag. The spring washer that you sent was a touch too big to fit inside the hex opening in the spool - but I ground it down and filed it smooth and it is functioning perfectly. This reel is not pretty, but functions as new and will has plenty of life left in it.

Does it look like I am missing a washer under the spool? I found a schematic online that shows two washers between the bottom of the spool and the spool sleeve. The drag is super smooth and seems to be working well without them.

Smols

I have since picked up a Microlite, two 110's and a 330 that I am in the process of cleaning up to make fishable. As I said, I am sick about these Quicks! Thanks for enlightening me on these well made reels, they are awesome.

Is the broken arbor useable, or do you just throw these out when they break like this?

foakes

Quote from: Smols on February 27, 2017, 12:25:03 AM
Does it look like I am missing a washer under the spool? I found a schematic online that shows two washers between the bottom of the spool and the spool sleeve. The drag is super smooth and seems to be working well without them.

Hi Paul --

According to your first pic showing the under spool washers -- you have everything you need already -- (2) washers between the spool arbor bridge, one over them both with ears that is called a bridge plate washer, and one hexagon asbestos washer in the cavity at the bottom of the spool.  These are forgiving with variations on this factory configuration -- and will work adequately -- but you have all you need perfectly after you clean the spool arbor up, add a drop of oil to the spool shaft, and one to the brass spool arbor.

Looks good!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Smols on February 27, 2017, 12:31:28 AM
Is the broken arbor useable, or do you just throw these out when they break like this?

Paul -- if you are referring to the cork arbors -- they are not broken -- they come in (2) halves so that there is a little sponginess on the spool  with mono -- and also so as to not waste so much line for no reason.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

CH

Quote from: foakes on February 27, 2017, 02:01:30 AM
Quote from: Smols on February 27, 2017, 12:25:03 AM

Hi Paul --

According to your first pic showing the under spool washers -- you have everything you need already -- (2) washers between the spool arbor bridge, one over them both with ears that is called a bridge plate washer, and one hexagon asbestos washer in the cavity at the bottom of the spool.  These are forgiving with variations on this factory configuration -- and will work adequately -- but you have all you need perfectly after you clean the spool arbor up, add a drop of oil to the spool shaft, and one to the brass spool arbor.

Looks good!

Best,

Fred

I reckon you missed it........... but he ("Smols") is showing a 110 and you posted the diagram for a 110N.
Not going to be the same as you already know.

And welcome to the Quick lovers club "Smols". I've been a member for nearly 50 years now. The 110 is my favorite. I own 3. One of them is my very first Quick I owned. Still use it regularly and with the original parts, believe it or not. My smallmouth slayer! ( Have caught other species on it too over the years. Even a couple "small" Barracuda off the beach in Ft. Lauderdale.) :)
Be like me and pick up a couple "beat up/cheap" ones on Ebay for instant extra parts. The 110 bail wires & springs are kinda scarce.

ENJOY!
And KEEP ON CATCHING!
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

foakes

Hi CH --

Paul asked (2) questions:

1) In the #8 posting in this thread related to the 330N Paul just repaired -- he asks if the under gear washers  are correct -- his number one pic shows what he is referring to.

I confirmed the order and posted a partial schematic showing the proper under gear washers required and their ordering.  This is a schematic for all (7) of the "N" series -- From 110N through the 550N.  The separate notation (you may be referring to) regarding the 110N is the (3) washers in brackets above the typical stack -- since the 110N's stack is different from the other 6 "N" series -- but Quick used the same schematic for all with a separate part number "key" decoder ledger on the next page, which I did not show.

I understood that Paul was asking about the 330N -- which is what I posted.  Maybe he was asking something differently that I missed?

2) In the next post -- #9 in this thread -- Paul says he also picked up a 265 Microlite, (2) 110's, and a 330.  He then asks, I believe, about the cork spool arbors -- not knowing if they were broken, or not.  I explained that they came that way, and are useful, and why.  I posted a pic of some of my microite spools and spare cork arbors for comparison.

Maybe I did miss the whole thing, CH? -- and Paul can confirm, so I can straighten it out.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Smols

Fred,

You are correct on all fronts and you answered all of my questions. I was a bit confused after looking at the schematic for the 330N because it shows the hex washer under the spool and on mine, that appears to be part of the spool. I would imagine that I could place a round cf washer under that hex washer that would rest on top of the bridge plate washer to make the drag even smoother. I will try that to see if it works. I don't know what kind of drag numbers this reel is capable of with the cf washers, but it should handle our local sand and calico bass without breaking a sweat.

Thanks again Fred!

Paul

CH

Quote from: Smols on February 27, 2017, 12:31:28 AM
I have since picked up a Microlite, two 110's and a 330 that I am in the process of cleaning up to make fishable. As I said, I am sick about these Quicks! Thanks for enlightening me on these well made reels, they are awesome.

I got confused due to the above post. I guess too many reels being discussed at one time. Apologies.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted