Siver Beach 99

Started by Bill B, February 19, 2017, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Tony, what's the chances of getting the Silver Beach 99 re-introduced?  We have been doing some creative things, and the original is getting hard to come by at reasonable prices.....the 99 is a great size, just a bit smaller than the jigmaster...hopefully keeping the original dimensions and screw patterns....maybe a Penn Albacore Special.........Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn

Bill,

Probably no chance but I will forward your message to our PI Team.

tony

RowdyW

Tony, we could at least use some of the discontinued parts remanufactured.          Rudy

Penn

The 99 was discontinued nearly 50 years ago, I highly doubt we still have the old tooling to re-manufacture the old parts again.

tony

coastal_dan

They do have modern reels that meet similar or better claims of drag, retrieval, line capacity.  You may pay a little more but with that comes 50 years of newer technology in both design and materials.  The fact that they have kept the Jigmaster alive is surprising to me, but I know that it's got to be the all time seller for Penn.  I understand the desire, but buying a used reel is going to be cheaper and you'll probably be hot-rodding it anyway.  Just my .02.  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

Quote from: Penn on February 22, 2017, 01:59:17 PM
The 99 was discontinued nearly 50 years ago, I highly doubt we still have the old tooling to re-manufacture the old parts again.

tony

If the dies for forming rings ever show up I have a large punch press.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tunanorth

Quote from: TARFU on February 19, 2017, 09:20:55 PM
Tony, what's the chances of getting the Silver Beach 99 re-introduced?  We have been doing some creative things, and the original is getting hard to come by at reasonable prices.....the 99 is a great size, just a bit smaller than the jigmaster...hopefully keeping the original dimensions and screw patterns....maybe a Penn Albacore Special.........Bill

Ha-Ha, the "Albacore Special" [99 frame/spool with Jigmaster sideplates, called by some wags the "502"] was created by Jerry Morris at the old Hermosa Tackle Box circa 1965. Interestingly, Jerry sold his original location on Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach to his young apprentice Pete Wilkowski around 1978. Eventually Pete moved the shop a few blocks inland to 190th street in Redondo Beach, and still operates it today as "Just Fishing by Pete". The funniest thing of all, both Pete Wilkowski AND Alan Tani were at the PENN booth at the same time last week at the Fred Hall Show.

Maxed Out

Very interesting history behind the '99" jigmaster.

I recently acquired one that came with the original box and receipt. About 3 weeks after purchase, the owner took it to a place called "The bait bucket" where they narrowed his jigmaster 500 down to 99 size(my kinda guy  ;D). The receipt shows he paid a total of approx. $12.50 for a 66 seat, a newell spool, and a set of backside International 12H bars(2). This was in 1978. Not sure where the shop is(or was), but my guess would be somewhere in So-Cal...address just says "Brea"

How bout Penn making a limited "commemorative" edition Silver Beach 99 with a 1950's type box/label. I'd be a buyer fo sho  ;) ;) -Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

twotone

One of my favorite sizes. I love the Sliver Beach.

Here's a clone and a twin of Ted's, over 2000 miles from Ted.
Purchase about the same time.
How about some old school parts.
For example some 99 seats , 12h bars, etc.

twotone