Penn 9/0 Rebuild Question - Star / top of drag stack

Started by wsenti, February 20, 2017, 01:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Thank you Daron for the Motive Fab insert.  After some sanding it went in with a little force.  So, I put the delrin washer under the main gear.  Then alternating the fiber and metals into the PC SS gear until the last extra thick metal washer on top. So next is the other delrin washer, top hat, tension spring, star?   The reason I ask is that it seems the drag ramps quickly with small adjustment to the star. 

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Shark Hunter

You have a lot of horsepower in there now Andy.
That is how it should work. You are utilizing both sides of the drag washers instead of one. When they start grabbing, you better hold on.
I try to set mine up so there is a slight amount of drag with the star backed all the way off.
This is just my personal preference.
You have them all greased up. Right?
Life is Good!

handi2

Quote from: wsenti on February 20, 2017, 12:23:40 PM
Thanks for the input. What options do I have if I don't purchase this part for allowing the star to put pressure on the drag stack when fully down?

You should be receiving the "top hat" chromed metal washer, the thick tension washer to go on top, a set of Carbontex drags, and a Delrin washer in just a couple more days. They were sent first class mail.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on February 25, 2017, 05:56:45 PM
Quote from: wsenti on February 20, 2017, 12:23:40 PM
Thanks for the input. What options do I have if I don't purchase this part for allowing the star to put pressure on the drag stack when fully down?

You should be receiving the "top hat" chromed metal washer, the thick tension washer to go on top, a set of Carbontex drags, and a Delrin washer in just a couple more days. They were sent first class mail.

Keith
Nice going Daron!

Keith, I've noticed you as well have been sending out lots of stuff to many members here, including myself. Thanks for doing this.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Sal its no problem sending stuff out if I remember to do it. That's the only hard part. I usually too busy to go online during the day. I tell someone I have it and will send it but always forget!!

Thank you for doing the Cortez Jigmaster's for me. I get reels shipped to me from all over so when the postman put the box on the floor it was 5 days later before I opened it. They are still in the box waiting for me to finish them.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 25, 2017, 04:56:03 AM
That is how it should work. You are utilizing both sides of the drag washers instead of one. When they start grabbing, you better hold on.
I try to set mine up so there is a slight amount of drag with the star backed all the way off.

Daron, they are all greased and in the configuration I mentioned earlier, with he star backed all the way off there is still slight drag.  So, I guess it is correctly installed.  Can you tell this is my first 9/0 upgrade? lol  Thanks again!

Andy
><)))">

Three se7ens

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 26, 2017, 01:25:54 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 25, 2017, 04:56:03 AM

Daron, they are all greased and in the configuration I mentioned earlier, with he star backed all the way off there is still slight drag.  So, I guess it is correctly installed.  Can you tell this is my first 9/0 upgrade? lol  Thanks again!

Andy

A slight drag is normal with my insert kits.  You will notice it gets a little looser as the cf washers break in.  Due to manufacturing tolerances, sometimes the cf washers are a little tight in the insert, and can create a small amount of pressure on the drag stack even with the star backed off.  After some use, it will most likely loosen up a little. 

Shark Hunter

You Make a Quality Product Adam.
I have had a few people come at me for your inserts lately.
I've sold all that I have besides the ones in my reels.
I fish a 12 and 14/0 with all the goods when I make it to Florida.
Andy knows what he is doing. He has a Gen 1 in his 9/0.
He better hold on if he hooks something worthy of testing it.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

I'm working on another batch of 113h and 114h/115. Should be ready in a couple of weeks.