Pro Gear Violator V20

Started by Mumin, February 20, 2017, 08:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mumin

Hello
I'm new here and thanks for letting me in  :D
Quick questions:
Someone who has used the Pro Gear Violator v20?
What do you think of the reel?
I will fish in the saltwaters of Norway with this reel and the depth is 50 - 130feet.
Is the 25lbs drag power correct or is it less?

Thank You for any info on this reel

Regards Mumin from Finland

David Hall

It's a great small reel, the 30 is identical except it has a rod clamp and the 20 doesn't.  I wish I had gone with the 30 instead but it is a solid well built reel and I really like it. Spooled it with 60lb braid and I can vary my top shot for whatever I'm fishing for.  17lb for salmon to 50lb for rockfish.

Mumin

Hello David
Yes and I think the size is perfekt for me. Okay good to know about the clamp, thank You. How much 60lb braid did You get on the reel and what brand?
I`m going to fill it upp with braid and have a 3feet leader of 1mm mono.

alantani

kristian, 1mm line is 100 pound test, 45kg.  you are using this for abrasion resistance, correct?  how many pounds/kg of drag do you want to use?  a typical drag setting for a "100 pound" rod and reel would be 33 pounds or 15kg.  these reels will deliver no where near that drag range.  the drag ranges you see are horribly exaggerated.  12 pounds or 5kg would be a maximum practical working range. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: Mumin on February 21, 2017, 06:44:42 AM
Hello David
Yes and I think the size is perfekt for me. Okay good to know about the clamp, thank You. How much 60lb braid did You get on the reel and what brand?
I`m going to fill it upp with braid and have a 3feet leader of 1mm mono.

and figure at most 300 yards of 60 pound hollow core braid. 

Mumin

okay sounds perfekt. I think I will use 40lbs of Daiwas J-braid Multicolor, I like that braid!

alantani

never been a big fan of 20, 30 or 40 pound braid.  been concerned that it breaks too easily.  i recommend 50 pound minimum for the tiny low profile reels, and 60 pound hollow or 65 pound solid for round bait casters like these.