113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Bert, don't let it get to you. Yes it is frustating at times but rewarding in the end. I'm a little puzzled from what you're explaining, do you think you could post a picture of the plate? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

metalman

Ok...it'll take me a little time, but I'll try it. I used to be good at pics, but now that the home computer is down, I have to use my wife's laptop. I have to upload the software tomorrow.
Thanks Sal, I know it'll be rewarding, that's why I tried different things. What's taking me about 6 hours so far (not mentioning running all over town a few times to get different parts and to add another 6 hours or more, by the time I finish), you guys can do within an hour...
But hey, as long as I get help here, I'm game :) !!!
thanks,
bert

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

metalman

Not using the computer or software that I'm used to (computer died and Vista doesn't work with Powertoys Resizer), so I hope the pics are good enough for you to see...
Thought all day about you guys helping me, so I'm SOOO wanting to do this on my own, with your help, just hope you have the patience to go
step-by-step with me  :-[!!!!!!!!

I tried a few times to upload the pics, but the file size was too large, so I did it again, then again. Now it says my "upload folder" is full. How do I delete that folder and start anew?? (where did all those pictures go??)
bert

alantani

get an account at photobucket.com and use the [img] function to host the photos there and display them here.  photobucket will automatically size them for you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

metalman

Notice that gear doesn't have that ring on it like your pics

2nd View

This is where the dog and dog spring would go. Kind of weird for the 114 huh? Especially when the 113 schematics have the OTHER type of dog and spring!

Alto Mare

Hey Bert, your 3rd picture looks good and that is the way it should go. Since you're a matal worker, I'm going to recommend that you cut approximately1/8 of an inch off the dog spring from both sides and put it back as showing in the picture with the original dog . You should be OK, just fallow the tutorial and give it another try. Let us know how you make out. Sal :)

metalman

Thanks Sal,
that IS the original dog :o! I'll take more pics after work (too dark right now ;D) to show the difference, and then a couple of step by step of where I went trouble next (and some of the parts that had confused me :P :P :P
;D
bert

Alto Mare

We'll get it together Bert. See if that spring is shorter on the other side and flip it, it appears to be too long but it might just be the pix.

metalman

No, you're right :)! Looking at Alan's pic of the 114h, it was too long, one of the details I missed :-[
Can't wait to get home after work and take/show you more pics :)
THANKS SAL!

metalman

Well, here are the next steps, please let me know if you see anything wrong.
(thank you in advance :)!!!!)

113 Dog on top and 114h Dog on bottom

113 Dog in place with the 113 Dog Spring in place (newly cut per Sal ;D)

Stack of washers according to Alan's Pictorial on this thread. Do we not use the spring washers anymore ???

All the washers on main gear

metalman

I know the left one is the spacer washer, but what is the one on the right? and WHERE DOES IT GO ???
THANKS GUYS :)!!!!!!!!!!!!
(doing this, I've succumbed to patience.... :)

Alto Mare

Bert, thanks for the additional pictures. This reel usually comes with the 3+1 stack configuration, but from looking at your pictures you shouldn't have any problems installing 1+5 configuration like you're showing.  The metal washers that you are showing won't work, the chromed washers are thicker than the 2 brass washers and the first brass washer from the left should be eared  like the second chromed from left, your last eared washer on the stack should make connection with the groves in the main gear. About the dog spring, you could have flipped it , but no worries, it will still work. I'm puzzeled by your first picture of the spacers, will you flip the plate on the other side and let me know if you're able to slide the spacer with the washer in the opening(from the face side)? Thanks, Sal  :-\

metalman

Sal, thanks for your comments :)!!!
1) So what do I do? Look to get more brass washers with the ears and "keyed"?? Than have all brass washers??
The difference in thickness between the chrome and brass washers are SOOO hard to tell, I thought they were the same, but since you mentioned it,
rubbing the 2 between my fingers, I guess the chrome ones are "slightly" thicker...
When I got the reel, it was a 3+1 stack and the "drag" washers were SUPER thick, and looked/felt like more of a fiberous (leather?) material.
2) Re: Dog. I put the more "pointy" end towards where the gear will be, as per Alan's tutorial (probably too hard to see from the angle).
3) Spacer/Washer (looks like a hat): When I flip the plate on the other side, yes, it goes right through
Sal, thanks for your patience :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bert
p.s. Looking at Alan's tutorials, I'm guessing the spring washers aren't used anymore... ???