113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

This year started out with salmon on the coast from the towers back to the Pt Reyes lighthouse.
It's a late in the year pattern. It started out great, now it appears to be scratch. One day on a few days off.
It was a ghost town Tuesday. No one, not even the stick boats were catching much if anything.
Rock fish was a bust also, but we were not at the islands. But is was a flat calm day with whales, sun fish, and that
dam harbour seal that got our only hooked salmon.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Eddie K

I just received a couple of Penn 113HLW's off of eBay.  One has an AccuFrame and it has excessive side to side spool play.  The bearing is bottomed out, and the spool is not original to the reel.  The reel dates back into the '70's but has an aluminum Penn spool instead of the chromed over brass Penn spool. This was just a cursory inspection as I haven't broken them down to a pile of parts yet.  I am wondering if I may have to shim the bearings. Problem number two is the eccentric isn't disengaging all of the way.  If you move the lever forward just a little, and then back, it will then completely disengage.  I'm thinking that it may have something wrong with the eccentric jack.  I'm asking if anyone might have any suggestions on things that I may not have thought of.

ReelFishingProblems

I'm sure much wiser people will chime in, but I had a 4/0 that had irregular eccentric lever play. When I took it apart the spring was broken

Ron Jones

I'm thinking bound spring also, should be an easy fix once it is all apart. Shimming bearings is no big deal.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Eddie K

The play is about an eighth of an inch on both with the bearings bottomed out.  I'm not quite sure if shims are the complete answer.  I'll know more later tonight after I tear them down.  Both reels have excessive play, and both reels have spools that are not original to the reel.  Both reels are definitely from the 70's and originally came with chromed over brass spools.  As these reels sit right now, they both have aluminum Penn spools.

Eddie K

Reel Fishing Problems and Noyb 72 thank you for your input.  I never thought of a bound spring.  I spotted the problem with the eccentric as soon as I removed the bridge.  I saw a stainless steel yoke.  I removed it, ran the rough side over some Emery cloth and polished on some crocus cloth put it back together.  Tested, and it now works like it should.  I think instead of shimming the bearings, I will change the tail plates on both reels.  I like the newer bearing cups better because they are bigger and set in deeper, thus negating the need to shim.  Yeah, it is a little more expensive that way.  

I would like to say that I really like this site because it has fantastic people with a wealth of knowledge, that are willing to share that knowledge.  The people on this site are the salt of the earth.

spize

I received a 113H (newish style, but still steel spool, with an accurate frame) from a friend. I wasn't going to mess with it this year but I have a charter coming up with a cousin that needs a heavier outfit so I figured I'd go through it.
I has green fiber drags that look to be in just about new condition but I ordered a set of carbontex anyway.
So my question is, there are 3 belleville washers.......I remember two that were under the handle but don't know where that third one was and the schematic (for me at least) isn't helping much.
Also in search of aluminum spool.

Gfish

Spize, your drag stack's off: there should be a keyed washer between the 2 eared  washers. Just trade places between a keyed ana eared. Not sure 'bout the belleville washers, but with 3 I'd suspect that 1 of 'em goes between the star & handle. Someone with more experience will probably answer soon(I see what ya mean about the schematic).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JRD

Yep drag configuration is off as stated.  My be your main gear was not notched deep enough and prior owner just re stacked em.  I just bought a Newelled out 501 from Randy at vintage tackle and it had those same washers.  No brand but look to be cut from a sheet of industrial gasket making material.  Tossed mine and went with a regular stainless and carbon fiber set up.

Bryan Young

I believe those green washers are smoothies from SmoothDrag before Carbontex drag washers. Replace them. They were better than the rubber or abestos drag material but. It as good as greased carbon fiber drag washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: spize on September 14, 2017, 02:26:51 AMAlso in search of aluminum spool.

I have this spool in good shape. $20 Shipped in the USA. Send me a private message with your address and I'll mail it to you. You may pay me upon inspection and receipt.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spize

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 14, 2017, 05:32:23 AM
I believe those green washers are smoothies from SmoothDrag before Carbontex drag washers. Replace them. They were better than the rubber or abestos drag material but. It as good as greased carbon fiber drag washers.
That's what I thought they were..........I remember buying some for one of my SL20's years ago when the smoothies were the thing.

Am I good with the washer stack for now or do I need to order parts?

Bryan Young

Personally, I would switch them out to HT-100s or Carbontex.

spize

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 14, 2017, 04:31:53 PM
Personally, I would switch them out to HT-100s or Carbontex.
I already ordered new drag washers. I was asking about the metal washers. I see now what I need to do though.
As for the Belleville washers, there must have been one on top of the last metal washer in the drag stack and the other two were on the other side of the spacer right under the star.
Seems like it would go the other way around.

Bryan Young

It looks like you have pulled the drawing from an accessible drag 113H diagram.  That washer above the spacer and below the star is a washer /spacer with a felt pad that was normally oiled to help water from intruding into the reel.  It's not a spring or flat washer.