Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanic Tool Set -- Good Value

Started by foakes, February 22, 2017, 03:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Sears has this set on sale starting today.

Half price -- $199 + the good socket strip organizers.

I bought (2) sets when I bought mine about 10 years ago -- then sold the unused set at a yard sale for $325.

It has complete standard and metric sockets -- deep, regular, 6 point, 12 point.

Complete 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" for all.

Includes the upgraded professional ratchet handle wrenches -- which are very nice -- these handles are comparable to Snap-On, IMO.

For about half of what one might pay for an upgraded Jig-master -- this set will be with you for life.

I have this set -- or close to it -- and it is bulletproof.  Plus no more looking around for that right size socket or wrench.  Keep this set organized with the socket strips that are free (I spent $70 for these afterwards) -- then just set your old bits and pieces aside for other things.

This will be your go-to set for nearly anything you might need to tackle.

This is a professional mechanics set -- not a homeowner's assortment.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

I need more tool. I neeed more tools. I need more tools.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Midway Tommy

HA!.....The more tools you have......the more tools you'll lose.  ??? If you only have one tool you'll always remember where you used it last.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

STRIPER LOU

Na! doesn't work like that Tommy. The more tools you have, you need not remember where you put them because they're everywhere! ;D

Or its suppose to work something like that, I think!

................Lou

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

All true, guys --

However, it also depends on how we honor and maintain our tools -- and how we value the efficiency of our Craft.

For me, at least -- it must reflect quick accessibility -- all in one place for the job -- plus a place to put the tool back after use -- automatically.

I have a set of tools for the boat, camper, truck, shop in the barn, and tools just for reel repair.

I do not mix them up, loan them out, or collect just to collect.  Each has a specific purpose, location, and instant usefulness.  Anything less -- I get rid of.  No clutter, no searching, no wasted time.

Here is a set of mostly 1/4" Snap-Ons -- just for reel repair -- had them for 47 years now.  None missing or lost.

Wife was always needing tools for small projects around the house -- so I took a bunch of duplicates -- let her pick out what she thought she needed -- added a few more -- then set up her own tool cabinet in the Laundry room that is only hers.  She is very protective and proud of her tools...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Points well taken Fred. I don't leave mine all over the place but for convenience, I have one set in the basement, one in the garage, one set in the shed, and one in the car. Saves on trips for the old guy! ;D
Oops, and the boat too! I have a great neighbor who's husband is deceased and the oldest daughter tries to pick up the slack but seems as though I'm always outside heading to the garage for tools to help them out. Don't mind at all as they're really great people!
Joe, you've been in my shop, and I'd like to think its reasonably well organized and I owe a lot of that to Mr. Oakes for all his great tips an ideas.

Fred, I'm with you on the loaning of tools and never do so, especially with any of my power equipment. Lesson learned the hard way.

Hey, is your weather improving any. Saw one report where you guys were suppose to get a break from the rain?

...............Lou

foakes

Pretty clear today, Lou --

Rain and hail ended early this morning before dawn.

Slight chance for the next couple of days -- but it doesn't look or feel like it.

Another storm coming in late Saturday -- and looks like through at least Tuesday.

All of our snow is gone -- snow level is around 7000' as of now.

Glad to have a little break -- everything is so wet -- and spongy.

Water runoff does much more damage than snow.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Lou; your shop is definitely cleaner then mine, and Fred sets a good example for all of us.

Joe

day0ne

Made in Asia with complaints about the sockets rusting. Not Craftsman quality we're used to I guess.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter