JB Solid or Sufix 832

Started by ijlal, February 23, 2017, 03:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Hi everybody!

I am a bit confused between JB (non-hollow) 65# and Sufix 832 50#. Both are great braids. JB would have been my no.1 choice but JB 65# breaks way above 80#. I want to keep the overall breaking strength of my outfits a little under 80# just for conforming to IGFA 80# line class. I do not want JB 50# as that is 4-Strand. On the other hand Sufix 832 50# is 8-Strand and breaks somewhere between 70 and 80, so that suits me. Would appreciate if you, or others have anything positive and negative to add about these braids.

These braids would be used as backing on my 30-size two speeds, with a top shot of 50# Diamond or Pro Spec Chrome.

Quote from: Keta on October 10, 2016, 02:24:40 PM
I sell JB Line one....

Hello Lee,

Hope you are doing good. Please quote me your best price for JB 65# Line One Non-Hollow Core shipped to Florida. I need 2 or 4 spools of 600 yds each in blue depending on the above discussion.

Thanks!

Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ijlal

I live 'fishing'!

Cor

I have used  Sufix 832 50# for about 2 & 1/2 years and find its durable and I've never had a breakage on a fish.   Have not tested its breaking strain other then that I once a week tie it to a barrier at the end of my road, pull off 80mt and give it a good pull to see all's still good....LOL
Cornelis

reel man

We've been fishing Diawa Samuri for about 4 years, and find it feels softer that the 832, and is an 8 strand.  Not sure of the breaking strength.

sharkman

I have used Suffix 832. It is really tough and more abrasion resistant in my opinion than Power Pro in the larger sizes (50lb and up). Good luck and keep reeling in the monsters

ijlal

Thank you! Do you think it would be wise to buy from sellers on Amazon, or it would be a better bet to pay extra bucks and buy from reputed stores such as tackledirect?
I live 'fishing'!

boon

Just wait until the new IGFA rules come in (April?) and run whatever braid you want - the rules finally are going to use the breaking strain of the topshot for record classification (sensibly!!!) - so if you want to use a "50lb" braid but it breaks at 85lb you can still catch a fish in a "15kg" record class just by using a topshot of 15kg IGFA mono - I think only 5 metres is required?

ijlal

Quote from: boon on February 26, 2017, 08:16:11 AM
Just wait until the new IGFA rules come in (April?) and run whatever braid you want - the rules finally are going to use the breaking strain of the topshot for record classification (sensibly!!!) - so if you want to use a "50lb" braid but it breaks at 85lb you can still catch a fish in a "15kg" record class just by using a topshot of 15kg IGFA mono - I think only 5 metres is required?

Wow! Are you sure they are finally sensible enough to realize out of the heavier backing and the lighter topshot, it's the lighter topshot that's gonna break first! If that's the case I would go for 65 or even 80# backing. The issue is I can only wait for so much time, as a friend is coming here from the US towards the end of April, so I will have to get the line shipped earlier to them.
I live 'fishing'!

boon

Yes, official line here:
https://www.igfa.org/News/ruleschange2017

Important section:
IGFA will be making the following alterations to Equipment Regulation A:
• Title change from "LINE" to "LINE & BACKING"
• Adding a new subsection that reads: "3. The use of backing is permissible."
• Adding a new subsection that reads: "4. The catch shall be classified under the breaking strength of the first 16.5 feet (5 meters) of line directly preceding the double line, leader or hook.  This section must be comprised of a single, homogenous piece of line."

This change is effective April 1, 2017.

I wouldn't bother going up in line-strength for the backing. If you're going to fish a 24kg topshot then fish a 24kg/50lb braid as well, it will always be stronger than the topshot and if you go heavier all you are doing is reducing capacity. The only exception would be if you want to be able to change topshots to 37kg and fish the heavier line class... in which case just find the thinnest braid you can that breaks over 37kg...

ijlal

Quote from: boon on February 28, 2017, 12:39:03 AM
Yes, official line here:
https://www.igfa.org/News/ruleschange2017

Important section:
IGFA will be making the following alterations to Equipment Regulation A:
• Title change from "LINE" to "LINE & BACKING"
• Adding a new subsection that reads: "3. The use of backing is permissible."
• Adding a new subsection that reads: "4. The catch shall be classified under the breaking strength of the first 16.5 feet (5 meters) of line directly preceding the double line, leader or hook.  This section must be comprised of a single, homogenous piece of line."

This change is effective April 1, 2017.

I wouldn't bother going up in line-strength for the backing. If you're going to fish a 24kg topshot then fish a 24kg/50lb braid as well, it will always be stronger than the topshot and if you go heavier all you are doing is reducing capacity. The only exception would be if you want to be able to change topshots to 37kg and fish the heavier line class... in which case just find the thinnest braid you can that breaks over 37kg...

Good advice Boon, Thank you so much!

I think I'll take the middle 65# route without too much of a diameter difference.
I live 'fishing'!