Shimano TLD 15/30s reels with quite a bit of resistance after servicing.

Started by troutman561, February 26, 2017, 04:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutman561

So I did the upgrade to the drag and bearing on this reel today per the tutorial on this page. I also had to replace the driveshaft as it was slightly bent. I put it back together and now it reels with quite a bit of resistance. It will also not free spool that well. It isn't rough and there are no abnormal noises when this is happening, it is just hard to reel, like I am reeling against drag resistance. I took the side plate back off and pulled the main gear off. The spool spins freely when the gear is off. I put the gear back on and turned it by hand it it turned fine. I put all the drag washers back on and it turned fine. I put the side plate back on and same thing, it's like I am reeling against the drag. Nothing seems to be rubbing on the side plate itself, at least from what I can hear. I am quite stumped and frustrated with this. Please advise. Thanks.

Tightlines667

Check to male sure the drag stack and washer orientation and spacing is correct.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

troutman561

Thanks, I never removed the cam and everything else was installed in the proper orientation and order.

troutman561

Well, now I feel stupid. The spool tension knob was turned all the way in which made it tough to free spool and reel. I backed it off a notch and she works wonderfully. I also added the molded rubber handle from Smoooothdrag and it feels great on the reel.

Tightlines667

I almost asked about the preset.  Easy to overadjust it after servicing.

Glad you got it sorted.

John

Hope springs eternal

troutman561

Yup. Thankfully a mistake I will hopefully not make again.. Thanks again for your quick responses..

handi2

Quote from: troutman561 on February 26, 2017, 09:21:31 PM
Well, now I feel stupid. The spool tension knob was turned all the way in which made it tough to free spool and reel. I backed it off a notch and she works wonderfully. I also added the molded rubber handle from Smoooothdrag and it feels great on the reel.

Not stupid at all. We all make mistakes.

Always assemble reels with the tension cap off. This way you can add a drop of your favorite oil down into the pinion gear and the end of the spool shaft. Adjust the tension how you like it and proceed with the drag star. Its much easier with the drag star out of the way.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

troutman561

Thanks. Will do. This reel and a new Fathom 15 star drag are mounted up. Hopefully I get a chance to run them head to head here soon. This wind has been a killer on the weekends.

alantani

if anyone has a tld star 15/30 for sale, i am looking for one to send to the president of okuma.  he is located in taiwan!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on March 07, 2017, 10:27:31 PM
if anyone has a tld star 15/30 for sale, i am looking for one to send to the president of okuma.  he is located in taiwan!

Alan, If I did I'd say let's go deliver it to him in person.

Best Chinese food anywhere is in Taipei.

I'm searching for a star!

steve

ps. it's true many of the top chefs have migrated to Shanghai since 2000.

MarkT

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 26, 2017, 05:22:56 PM
Check to male sure the cam is installed correctly.  Otherwise check all belleville, shim/thrust washers for proper placement/orientation.

Cam?  Preset?  In a star drag reel?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Quote from: MarkT on March 07, 2017, 10:57:26 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 26, 2017, 05:22:56 PM
Check to male sure the cam is installed correctly.  Otherwise check all belleville, shim/thrust washers for proper placement/orientation.

Cam?  Preset?  In a star drag reel?

Previous post corrected

I was giving advice on a lever drag reel with spacing issues around the same time I replyed to this one.. both 'on the fly' from my mobile phone.  The next post clarified.  I corrected my previous post so as to avoid any confusion.
Hope springs eternal

troutman561

Quote from: alantani on March 07, 2017, 10:27:31 PM
if anyone has a tld star 15/30 for sale, i am looking for one to send to the president of okuma.  he is located in taiwan!

Are they thinking of copying it? There are a few on eBay right now.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!