how do you take the handle of Fin Nor Lethal LTL16II

Started by maxpowers, February 26, 2017, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Does anyone have a rebuild or schematics of the FinNor Lethal 2 speed reels?  I recently won an auction for LTL 16II and when I tried to service the reel I could not figure out how to remove the shifting mechanism (button and dial similar to Penn Fathom and Penn Torque).  I think there is an ARB in this reel but I can't be certain until I take the handle off.  I does have dual mechanical dogs but i am not sure how strong it is.  The drag is held by 4 screws close to the center of the spool and is not affected by the drag plate.

Nasty Wendy

Make sure the reel is in HIGH speed.  Remove the retainer ring T-15 torx screw.  The reel's wrench has little forks on it.  The smallest one will slip over the notches in the shaft that the button is screwed onto.  Hold the shaft in place with the reel wrench and unscrew the button.  The black doo-hickey that sits around the shaft has sight holes in it.  You will see two springs that press two pieces of metal against the shaft.  Take a pick tool and push the pieces of metal away from the shaft and remove the black doo-hickey.  It can be done one side at a time with some wiggling. You'll then be able to access the nut to remove the handle.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

maxpowers

thank you.  So the sideplate has the casting already in place for an ARB but of course none was included.  Unfortunate I can only get the interior demion of 10 mm for the drive shaft, 10 mm for the depth of the bearing, but the outer dimension i can only guess is either 19 or 20 mm since the main bearing is 20 mm.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: maxpowers on February 26, 2017, 11:41:49 PM
thank you.  So the sideplate has the casting already in place for an ARB but of course none was included.  Unfortunate I can only get the interior demion of 10 mm for the drive shaft, 10 mm for the depth of the bearing, but the outer dimension i can only guess is either 19 or 20 mm since the main bearing is 20 mm.

I can't help you with that.  I don't actually own a Lethal but the handle removes just like the Santiagos which I do own.  I'd imagine you could measure the casting with a caliper to get the OD.
Hi I'm Clay.

handi2

Max I have 2 Plano boxes full of ARB bearings. I will measure some and see what I came up with. Is the main shaft made to fit inside the ARB? Does it need an inner sleeve?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

maxpowers

actually i think finnor did the casting in anticipation of using an ARB but i found othing on the internet so far that matches anything close to the dimensions that i measured.  It's too bad as it would have made the reel even better.  it looked like finnor was opting for a size 12 mm shaft but changed their mind and went with size 10 mm shaft instead.

maxpowers

Quote from: handi2 on February 27, 2017, 12:59:54 AM

Max I have 2 Plano boxes full of ARB bearings. I will measure some and see what I came up with. Is the main shaft made to fit inside the ARB? Does it need an inner sleeve?

Keith

thanks Keith but i think it was probably a universal casting.  to make the ARB work the sleeve would have to be used but then how to secure the sleeve to the shaft.  it was not meant to be I guessed.

maxpowers

It looked like the side plate for the single speed and the 2 speeds are the same.  The difference is that the single speed can accept an ARB because the drive shaft is longer and drilled through to accepts pin for the ARB sleeve.  Too bad they did not put any mechanical dog for backup in the single speed.  We can add the ARB and sleeve to the 2 speed but there is no way to secure the sleeve .

Hanker

Please find the attached file.  LTL two speed reel haven't ARB inside.
And i don't advice to add ARB on it.  It will cause the Shifting issue.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Hanker on May 10, 2017, 05:50:06 PM
Please find the attached file.  LTL two speed reel haven't ARB inside.
And i don't advice to add ARB on it.  It will cause the Shifting issue.

Thanks that is good to know.  I could have seen myself getting one of these reels and going through lengths to install the ARB to have it cause a shifting problem.
Hi I'm Clay.