I have been fishing for a long time, but never lost the love.

Started by anglingarchitect, February 27, 2017, 06:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

4 years old

I was born in Apalachicola in 1950. My Dad Ran a packing house, on the docks of the River. He used to take me to work
and he had one of the ladies who worked peeling shrimp or shucking oysters watch me while I would catch a bucket of pinfish.

The picture above was taken when we used to fish the ditches of Sumatra Road in Tates Hell a swamp outside east point.We caught bluegills, stumpknockers, and the pictured warmth perch, got to love that gear stick and string. Got my first spinning reel a luxor re-gifted from my father @ 10 and never stopped, collecting gear, or fishing.

Now I get more pleasure seeing kids catch there first or biggest fish while i just try and locate a bite for them.

Mark

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Cool picture.  That would make a good painting-style print for framing.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bhale1

Mark,
I couldn't agree more. I learned to fish at an early age, by my grandmother,when I would go stay with her for a month during the summer! Re-enforced by my dad who always loved to fish, and take my brother and I with him whenever he had the time to go. Now, my biggest joy is to take my daughter's with me as often as I can when I go fishing!  I try to make it all about them,(and hopefully catching a fish), but it's more about time together! They don't know it yet, but they are about to receive some very nice equipment from me(and mom)...I'll post a little thank you message with pics once I learn how( probably from them), but let's just say that there won't be too many young girls (12&10) that have nicer Mitchell 308's for trout and bass, and custom narrowed Penn 155's for 1/2 day boats out of San Diego ..... None of which would have been possible without the kindness of the AT family!
Brett

David Hall

That is an awesome old pic.  Guessing you'd be around 7-8 in that picture I would have been 3 that year and wouldn't start fishing until 1961-62, there was a cattle ranch that covers around 20,000 acres and he had resivoirs all over the place that he had stocked with catfish bucketmouth bass and blue gill.  I'd sit in the reeds and fish for bluegill and my older brother would land huge bass.  He handed me the rod on one and it darn near pulled me into the water.  The rancher lived on top of the hill, ole man Ghoul his kids all lived in the city and he would jump in his truck and chase us down, we had to run or risk being shot with rock salt.  We snuck onto the ranch and posted guards to watch for him, he had to open three gates to get into the field where the best pond was, when he got through the first gate it was time to reel em in, second gate was time to start making tracks and hope you could make it to the arroyo and jump it before he caught up.  Nothing like sneaking into a good fishing hole.  We'd take our fish home and fry them up in the back yard then sleep outside under the stars.
I talked some of my friends into going with me up to the ranch house on top of the hill one day to ask for permission to hike and fish on his land.  I really just wanted an excuse to go knock on his door.  He greeted us warmly and offered us coffee, after air asked for permission he said no way, nobody was allowed to hike or fish on his land, I told him it didn't matter I was going to hike and fish on his land anyway  I would have preferred to with his approval but It was more fun without it.  We left his house and decided to look for one of his ponds that was way back on part of his land where we had never been, we should have kept a better eye out because he chased us down and cornered us on the wrong side and we had to jump fences onto another ranch.  He laughed at us and I asked him what he thought was so funny, we got away, we weren't on his property anymore.  He smiled and said I know your not but now you have to walk all the way around and you won't get home until late tonight and your dads gonna whoop your ####.  That would have been a good day to have had cell phones.  He was right except when I told my dad the story he laughed and I didn't get whooped...on that day.

Gfish

Cool story D.H. I had fun learning to catch bass/bluegill on sneak-in farm pond as a young teenager.We got caught and run out about 1/2 the time. Lots of fun and good memories. After 'bout 6 mon. Of this  we got the nerve up to knock on the door of the big house on the hill. Turns out ole-man Huddelston had passed several mon. earlier and the property was being sold(to the City?) for the com. college sys. The guy runnin us out was the caretaker, which explained his Eastern european accent: "No fish!, you go to jay!, put you inna cage!" Easy to hear 'em commin, that beater military jeep gettin louder as he got closer. We thought he was amusing 'till he made my friend through back a 3lb. largemouth, the biggest one either of us had seen yet.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

fsrmn

I love Apalachicola. My dad was born and raised there. Ditch fishing in Tate's Hell always produced large bluegill and small bass. My cousins Coy and Dewey Shiver from East Point used to take me there when I was a kid in the 60's. Whether shark fishing at Cape San Blas or floundering at Carabelle at night with a light and gig, those memories will last forever. My kinfolk still run Barber Seafood and Anchor trucking in Eastpoint. I am way overdue for a visit.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

jason_purdy

This is one of those 'small world' posts... I've spent more time than I can remember in Apalach, Tate's Hell, and out on St. George's.  Anybody else love 100.5 'Oyster Radio'?

anglingarchitect

You mean besides me oyster radio is my go to station up there.
Cape San Blas is the only place i have been that fed ex next day gets there in three days.
and cell service is almost non existent.

mark

anglingarchitect

It's the Go to station when i'm up there.
i was 5years old or less we moved to tampa when i was 5 but returned every summer but one for 61 years.

I love the place.

Mark

Rivverrat

jnd1959

It's amazing how we can be 1000 miles apart and still find something in common. I was reading this thread and that picture just jumped out at me.  I spent my summers in Wewahitchka, not very far from where that picture was taken.  That's some fond memories there. Thanks for posting it.

happyhooker

Wow, some great stories.

First fishing "trip" I can remember was late '50s-early '60s fishing that unforgetable (or is it unknown to anyone but me?) Sampawams Creek on Long Island, about 6 blocks from my house.  Had some old white, saltwater braid wrapped around one of those little black & orange Halloween bags you used to be able to buy to put candy in to give to the kids 10/31.  I think there was a cork bobber; don't know if I had a real hook or just a bent pin.  Used worms to go after perch that hid in a culvert that ran under the road; lost a real Navy watchcap that fell off when I was trying to get down close to the water--it floated into the culvert.  Told my Ma that I had read about muskellunge in Boys' Life & hoped I'd see one; I remember her skeptical look when she said she didn't think I'd run across any of those in the creek!

Frank

Rivverrat

Quote from: David Hall on April 15, 2017, 07:09:00 AMHe greeted us warmly and offered us coffee, after air asked for permission he said no way, nobody was allowed to hike or fish on his land, I told him it didn't matter I was going to hike and fish on his land anyway 

Just saw this post. What a rascal you were.

This just busted me up out loud. Oh what a laugh i got from your post.... Jeff

anglingarchitect

After I was sixteen and got a license I would travel to all the phosphate pits around Brandon, to fish. some we were not allowed in, but it didn't really stop us. One particular pit was full of fish but had steep banks that the Phosphate company thought was to dangerous to let the public in. The pit had crystal clear water, a road around the top the bank and a moat on the outside, with only one way in. one day my fishing buddy and I caught 50 bass from 6 to 10 am, when we were run out. Another panfish trip we caught 200 bluegills in a day of fishing the bedding panfish. The company used the pit to dispose of waste and the lake was pumped full of sludge a few years later.