G440F badge restoration

Started by Yogi_fish808, March 02, 2017, 07:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Got around to restoring the badges on my G440-F after work today. They were originally black but all the factory paint had flaked off so I figured why not make them pop with the rarer red variant I've seen on some G series reels. To prep I used a wax pencil to coat the raised chrome areas and masked off anywhere I didn't want paint getting to. Using a very fine natural hair brush I dabbed paint into all the crevices and then went back to give it an even coat. After the paint dried a rag stretched tight with some brakleen applied wiped the paint off the waxed areas cleanly/easily. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I used the little $2 glass bottle of Testors paint since I knew it would adhere to plastic well.

Before...this is the best I could find of the reel prior to doing the badges.

After

With the oem redline handle

reel man

Looks very good.  What I do is pop the logos (badges) out of the side plates, spray paint them with red (or what ever turns you on), let dry then stretch an old T shirt over a flat surface, spray with parts cleaner or paint thinner, then rub the logo on the wet surface of the cloth.  This removes all the paint from the raised border, numbers, and letters.

You can remove the old paint with acetone and a brush before painting with another color.

steelhead_killer

Im curious how the originals were painted.  Is the raised lettering a chrome or white paint?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

reel man

The logos/badges were cold chrome coated then painted (vast majority were black), the then the paint was removed from the badge per the procedure I've described.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

Sulla

That looks really nice! Makes me think about restoring a couple of newells I have....

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Yogi_fish808

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm pretty OCD about keeping my reels in good shape so I was stoked to figure out how to refresh the tired looking badges commonly seen on Blackie, P and G series. Reelman the stretched t-shirt method was what I was told to do, I'm glad to know that's the factory correct method. A quick squirt of brakleen and the excess paint comes right off.

Shark Hunter

Great Job Kyle,
I keep the Brake Clean Handy.
That stuff will clean some reels up quick.
Great job on those badges my man. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

Brendan

I didn't realize how old this post was until I went through eleven pages to find it. I Ultra sonic cleaned one of my Newell's and lost the silver completely off both side plates. I hope mine turn out as nice as these.

Brendan.