THIS MAY BE BAD NEWS FOR SALMON FISHING ALL THE WAY TO THE KLAMATH

Started by Dominick, March 02, 2017, 05:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Here is a link to a San Francisco Chronicle news article.  It does not bode well for the Salmon season. 

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/California-salmon-season-may-be-limited-10970069.php

...and for all you sushi eaters this from January 2017.

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Salmon-sushi-tapeworm-u-s-fish-10859478.php

Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Relative to the 2nd article, most tapeworm parasites I've seen in Pac coast fish usually 'er the juvinal form(waitin for a warm blooded marine mammal(usually) to eat the fish so they can become an adult in the GI tract) and are easy to see in the flesh. I have seen adult tapeworms in intestines a bearing sea pollock. But like the article mentions reputable sellers'll freeze and kill 'em. I don't eat sushi/sashimi, though, 'cause I've seen so many "worm" type parasites cleaning fish over the years. Also, freezing may(will?) not kill bacteria, I think it just preserves them, including any toxins already produced.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Theirs nothing like a good old tape worm to clean the system out. ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 02, 2017, 07:35:36 PM
Theirs nothing like a good old tape worm to clean the system out. ;) ;D

Joe

And assist in weight loss.    :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

... and give your immune system something to combat so that auto-immune diseases disappear.
-steve

Reel 224

;D ;D ;D ;D Just got an e-mail from the DEP here in NJ they are part of the fish and wildlife commission. It seems they were going to put a large restriction on summer flounder (Fluke). Well it was put down by the Commissioner and the Governor. Because of the fisherman getting together and protesting.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

You guys sound like you know 'bout the  old days, when they actually sold capsules a tapeworm eggs as "weight reducing" medication.  My personal biggest fear is the Anasakins nematode(roundworm),  which prefers a marine mammal for the final host. Been knowen to try and burrow their way outta humans. Them little coiled up guys you see in salmon and rockfish guts sometimes.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

Word has it that the king salmon season will be closed around Juneau this summer. We haven't made escapement goals for a couple years so it really is necessary. But it's not fun...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska