349 MkII AR Dogs

Started by Keta, March 11, 2017, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have 8 349 AR dogs, $4.00 ea.  This will work for both the single and double lever reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Quote from: Keta on March 11, 2017, 09:00:01 PM
I have 8 349 AR dogs, $4.00 ea.  This will work for both the single and double lever reels.
I'll take two (2) Lee. Sending PM.

Lensters

When I gave you that 349, it was supposed to be an excuse to make more parts.  :P
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Keta

Quote from: Lensters on March 12, 2017, 05:35:52 AM
When I gave you that 349, it was supposed to be an excuse to make more parts.  :P

Good one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I'm customizing a couple of 349 for a member here and wanted to mention that if you go with the 10 tooth ratchet, Lee's or stock dogs will not work on those. Not an issue if you use the custom ss 8 tooth sleeve of course.
Here is a pic of  the stock sleeve and dog

and a pic of a stock dog on the 10 tooth ratchet. As you could see it doesn't engage as it should

Since he is a good customer and good friend, I decided to make him some Titanium dogs, but these will be the first and last that I will do :)

He was lucky enough to get a hold of 2 of these 349 full Accurate kits, so I had to make 2 Titanium dogs.

Here is something interesting about these Accurate plates, they've been machined so the tail rests on the notched shoulder giving the dog additional supports... very clever of Accurate.

These reels are waiting on Lou's custom knobs and arms, there is no rush.

I'm also waiting on Adam's (Motive Fabrication) inserts.
These are already very capable reels, they will be even better when done.

Besides some marks here and there, these are some of the best reels  I have run into.
You're a lucky man Dollar Bill, I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of them.

Lee, still send those dogs I ordered, I like to have them here in case I need them, thanks!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

I can see the dogs need to be a little longer in length. About 1/16" should be enough.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on June 26, 2017, 12:33:07 AM
I can see the dogs need to be a little longer in length. About 1/16" should be enough.

Mike
its not just the 1/16" in length, if you take a closer look  my dog is wider at the tip and at a different angle.
The second pic is showing it better than it  is.
It wasn't easy working with Titanium using hand tools and was surprised to see my dogs fit better than stock.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 26, 2017, 01:19:48 AM
Quote from: mikeysm on June 26, 2017, 12:33:07 AM

Mike
its not just the 1/16" in length, if you take a closer look  my dog is wider at the tip and at a different angle.
The second pic is showing it better than it  is.
It wasn't easy working with Titanium using hand tools and was surprised to see my dogs fit better than stock.

Sal

The titanium I use is pretty hard.  Ti-6al-4v is typically around 35 Rockwell C in hardness, which puts it right up there with most hardened steels, but not quite to the hardness of spring steel and knife steel.  I only use Nicholson files, and they do well.  I have notices that an older file that still cuts stainless fine will struggle with titanium.  Same goes for taps.  When they start getting harder to use in titanium, I put them to the side for use in stainless. 

Sharp, high quality files are a must for shaping, and for drilling and cutting sharp HSS tooling and oil work well with a slow speed and heavy pressure.  With the proper tooling, titanium is only slightly harder to work with than stainless.  Its tapping holes where it really gets tricky. 

Nice job on the dog though, it looks great. 

Btw, your insert drag kits are going in the mail tomorrow morning along with the stars.

Alto Mare

jigmaster501

Do you have any left of these????

otghoyt

Hey Sal. 

It's been a while.  I am back stateside for some more titanium replacement parts in my body.  None the less, I am building a 349 and would like to know the supplier of the gear sleeve you used on this build.  Did you have to massage it or was it a drop in?

Hoyt

Dominick

Quote from: wothoyt on April 27, 2021, 05:52:05 PM
Hey Sal. 

It's been a while.  I am back stateside for some more titanium replacement parts in my body.  None the less, I am building a 349 and would like to know the supplier of the gear sleeve you used on this build.  Did you have to massage it or was it a drop in?

Hoyt

Sorry to report Sal passed away last year.  Go to this link  https://alantani.com/index.php?board=147.0  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mikeysm

Quote from: wothoyt on April 27, 2021, 05:52:05 PM
Hey Sal. 

Hoyt
You use a stainless sleeve off of the Penn 4.0. You can get one from Tom's  web site.

otghoyt

I know this doesn't belong here but ... Sal and I exchanged ideas and parts.  He was the best.  I will miss him as well. RIP