Sanding a spool

Started by ReelFishingProblems, March 12, 2017, 03:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hey all,

Hoping someone has some pointers on sanding a spool. I have a 704z black spool that is badly corroded. I used oven cleaner to remove the paint and now it needs to be sanded. Does anyone have any tips? I will use either plain sandpaper and elbow grease, or a dremel. Does anyone have a favorite attachment for the dremel when sanding uneven surfaces on a spool?

Trying to avoid buying a NOS spool, plus may try to sand up to 2000grit wet/dry sandpaper

Thanks

Nick

RUSTY OLD COLT

I once made a fixture out of 2 thick hard rubber washers and a thin boit . Then I was able to spin it in my hand drill chuck before having it powercoated .

ReelFishingProblems

That's a cool idea, thanks!

Johnj67

I use elbow grease. I use the dremmel a little bit but the wheels are too expensive and get used up quick. I do the best I can and end up leaving some paint in the nooks and crannies, but I like the way that looks, just don't know if those nooks and crannies will bleed black paint when wet. Then again I'm not a dunker so....

John

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on March 12, 2017, 04:22:00 PM
I once made a fixture out of 2 thick hard rubber washers and a thin boit . Then I was able to spin it in my hand drill chuck before having it powercoated .
This method will help keep everything concentric.

Johnj67

The rubber washers remove paint? Or they sand it? I'm not getting it.

sdlehr

The Dremel will quickly spin too fast and make it likely you will get an uneven surface. Some plastics melt from the heat of a polishing wheel. If you cannot rig this into a drill chuck and rotate it the second-best alternative will be hand sanding IMHO.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Johnj67 on May 14, 2017, 11:00:26 AM
The rubber washers remove paint? Or they sand it? I'm not getting it.
Use the bolt and washers through the spool (washers prevent damage to the spool surfaces) then use the bolt to give you a way to fasten the spool in a drill. Use the drill to spin the spool like a makeshift lathe so that you are sanding the spool in equal amounts all the way around and quickly.

Donnyboat

Yes I use steaded rod and washers and some lock nuts, place the rod in the drill chuck lightly clamp the drill in the vice, use wet & dry cloth, start with 600 then 1200 then maybe 1500 or 2000 what ever is available, comes up real smooth cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Johnj67

Oh, I see now....Nice tip, thanks guys

John