Fleamarket Find- Cal's 12T

Started by Stan, March 14, 2017, 12:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Dominick on March 14, 2017, 11:55:54 PM
Pretty cool to find that tag inside.  Like finding a note in a bottle.  Dominick

Every Cal converted reel I have been into has these stickers. He has been doing this since his early days, maybe since day one.

Here is a pic of a Cal 2 speeded 50 set up for 100 lb test I sold for a friend a while back and you can see it's sticker.

josa1

Reel looks to be in really good shape, NO CORROSION.  Looks like a good one to fish hard.

Glad that you found the tag.

josa1

David Hall

I have a question:  it's not about this reel but in general about the 12T.
Why would penn build this reel like the little tank that it is  for fishing 12lb?  And what is the 12lb referencing.
I have never fished IGFA and I am not familiar with it.  Does it refer to the line weight or the drag setting?
Seems to me that a much lighter reel could handle that line test.
Please educate me.

Jim Fujitani

Penn International reels were designed based upon the weaves of linen line;  more strands, stronger linen line.  As time progressed to dacron, mono, and now braid, Penn retained the model designators of the Internationals.  The 'T' indicated single speed and the 'S' was for 2-speed.  'W' was for wide.  'L' for light, in the case of the 12LT. 

As far as I know, the 6, 12, and 20 were not produced as 2-speeds.  But they can be upgraded to 2-speeds.  I have not heard of a production model 16T, but my knowledge only goes back 30-35 years.  The 'T' models (usually stronger framed) typically can not be readily and easily changed to 'S' models, sometimes even requiring machining.

Again, unreliable info, based upon personal knowledge and recollection.

Cal knows better!

Tightlines667

To add to that...

The small International Reels 6,12, &16 were designed specifically to fish that IGFA-rated line class and were aimed at providing a reel that could be used by anglers targeting IGFA-line class world records.  These line class records opened up (i.e. came to he) in the mid to late 1980s.  The reels were designed to hold large capacities (such as ~850yds) of IGFA-rated light lines (i.e. 4,6,8,12,16lb), and produce smooth consistent drags with appropriate pressure ratings.  Thus a 16 size reel would be made to produce ~5.25lbs of drag at strike, and 8lbs at full.  I, myself spent the 1985-1988 period targeting these light line class records in Bermuda where we routinely used 6lb, 8lb, 12lb, and 16lb IGFA-rated lines matched with appropriate IGFA-rated rods, and International 20 sized reels. 

EDIT:
Meticulous attention to line, leader, hook, and knot type and quality, and reel maintainance as well as precisely set drags and an awareness of exactly what it produces as spool diameter decreases along with smooth angling and boat handling technique are needed to land a big fish on light line.  One misconception is that you chase the fush with the boat.  Often the best technique is not to drive the boat 'to the fish' so much as you coax the fish 'to the boat'.  Sometimes the best way to accomplish this us actually to drive away from the fish (especially when he has sounded).  Proper fighting technique will often result in fighting times on the order of 45-90mins for pelagic fish on the order of 5-15×s the weight of the line.

My current avatar is a photo of a 64lb Wahoo caught on 16lb test, which when caught was the line class world record Wahoo.  This record was beat within a year by a fish weighing a few more lbs, and thus did not make the publication of the annual world record book.

Other catches of note were:

-22lb Blackfin Tuna on 8lb
-26lb Dolphinfish on 8lb tipet (fly rod)
-54lb Yellowfin Tuna on 8lb, 5:1 club
-71lb Yellowfin Tuna on 12lb, 5:1 club
-350lb Blue Shark on 16lb, 20:1club
-550lb Tiger Shark on 16lb, 20:1 club

There were no junior world records at the time, and no 5:1..etc offical world record club lists.

Hope that helps a bit?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: David Hall on March 15, 2017, 04:42:43 PM
I have a question: ...Why would penn build this reel like the little tank that it is  for fishing 12lb? Because they already had the International series in sizes from 20-130 and wanted to expand the product line with a 12 and 6. And what is the 12lb referencing. Line weight.
Seems to me that a much lighter reel could handle that line test. Yes of course, but they wanted to expand the product line with the same top-notch quality as its larger siblings. And of course, landing very big fish on a very light line takes a very good reel.

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on March 15, 2017, 05:15:24 PM
Penn International reels were designed based upon the weaves of linen line;  more strands, stronger linen line.  As time progressed to dacron, mono, and now braid, Penn retained the model designators of the Internationals.  The 'T' indicated single speed and the 'S' was for 2-speed.  'W' was for wide.  'L' for light, in the case of the 12LT.

Linen line was long forgotten by the time Penn introduced the International series, and had nothing to do with naming the reels, (although it may have had to do with the origins of the IGFA line class categories.) Monofilament and Dacron ruled at the time. The T stands for Tournament. (These reels replaced the previous post-frame models with tubular frames, so for ease of memory of model changes one could imagine T as standing for Tubular) Most models with a T were single speed, but not all, such as models like the 80STW and 130ST.

I do think however, that Penn was the first major manufacturer to designate reel sizes with the IGFA line class category. Most others were still using the /O system.

As far as I know, the 6, 12, and 20 were not produced as 2-speeds.  But they can be upgraded to 2-speeds.  I have not heard of a production model 16T, The 16 wasn't introduced until the mid-late 1990s. As such it was by default a T reel, but they just didn't bother to call it so. but my knowledge only goes back 30-35 years.  The 'T' models (usually stronger framed) Yes.typically can not be readily and easily changed to 'S' models, sometimes even requiring machining. Cal does it all the time, T models included.

Again, unreliable info, based upon personal knowledge and recollection.

Cal knows better!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: David Hall on March 15, 2017, 04:42:43 PM
I have a question:  it's not about this reel but in general about the 12T.
Why would penn build this reel like the little tank that it is  for fishing 12lb?  And what is the 12lb referencing.
I have never fished IGFA and I am not familiar with it.  Does it refer to the line weight or the drag setting?
Seems to me that a much lighter reel could handle that line test.
Please educate me.

Up until recently, remember that is over Penn reels history and not just the last 10 or so years, Penn really never made a reel to fish our west coast style of fishing. That is until they came out with the VSX, Torque and Fathom line of reels.

You see most of the mods offered on this website and other manufactures such as Newell and then later Accurate then followed by Avet were all about the So Cal style of fishing. IMO Penn really missed the boat when they really never gave a thought about a whole other type of fishing.

In So Cal we were never looking to land grander marlin on IMO stupid light lines but their sales were based on the east coast, and not a bad thing, sell to your marked I say.

The older Penn modeling numbers mostly referred the line test that the reel was designed for when you look at reels like the 12, 16, 30 and 50's. Those early models never stood up to our west coast style of fishing and a whole new industry was born. In stepped the reel mod guys in the late 70's and early 80's and close to follow were other manufactures.

The IGFA never took west coast fishing seriously and IMO still does not, but it's their ball so run with it I say.

Those smaller reels were built so beefy because after many hours on the same fish with the boat chasing it down the manufacture did not want there reel to be the issue for loosing a fish. The drag numbers of those reels were really not a issue then using light line but the over all strength of a reel was do to how long they may be on a world record fish.

EDIT: The IGFA standards are to line breaking strength and not drag pressure. But if chasing a IGFA record remember to spool up with a IGFA rated line or fish at least one to two line breaking strengths less with a non IGFA rated line. The IGFA rates the lines breaking strength no greater than its stated strength (at the high end) or below the lines stated rating. Most if not all mono non rated lines break over the manufactures breaking strength specs.

Bill B

What a history lesson, from a humble flea market buy....great reel brother....now go catch some fish  ;D. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Stan

Quote from: TARFU on March 19, 2017, 12:40:07 PM
What a history lesson, from a humble flea market buy....great reel brother....now go catch some fish  ;D. Bill

Just spooled it up with 560 yards of braid for deep-dropping :)

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mahfudzmn

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 15, 2017, 07:01:58 PM
To add to that...

The small International Reels 6,12, &16 were designed specifically to fish that IGFA-rated line class and were aimed at providing a reel that could be used by anglers targeting IGFA-line class world records.  These line class records opened up (i.e. came to he) in the mid to late 1980s.  The reels were designed to hold large capacities (such as ~850yds) of IGFA-rated light lines (i.e. 4,6,8,12,16lb), and produce smooth consistent drags with appropriate pressure ratings.  Thus a 16 size reel would be made to produce ~5.25lbs of drag at strike, and 8lbs at full.  I, myself spent the 1985-1988 period targeting these light line class records in Bermuda where we routinely used 6lb, 8lb, 12lb, and 16lb IGFA-rated lines matched with appropriate IGFA-rated rods, and International 20 sized reels. 

EDIT:
Meticulous attention to line, leader, hook, and knot type and quality, and reel maintainance as well as precisely set drags and an awareness of exactly what it produces as spool diameter decreases along with smooth angling and boat handling technique are needed to land a big fish on light line.  One misconception is that you chase the fush with the boat.  Often the best technique is not to drive the boat 'to the fish' so much as you coax the fish 'to the boat'.  Sometimes the best way to accomplish this us actually to drive away from the fish (especially when he has sounded).  Proper fighting technique will often result in fighting times on the order of 45-90mins for pelagic fish on the order of 5-15×s the weight of the line.

My current avatar is a photo of a 64lb Wahoo caught on 16lb test, which when caught was the line class world record Wahoo.  This record was beat within a year by a fish weighing a few more lbs, and thus did not make the publication of the annual world record book.

Other catches of note were:

-22lb Blackfin Tuna on 8lb
-26lb Dolphinfish on 8lb tipet (fly rod)
-54lb Yellowfin Tuna on 8lb, 5:1 club
-71lb Yellowfin Tuna on 12lb, 5:1 club
-350lb Blue Shark on 16lb, 20:1club
-550lb Tiger Shark on 16lb, 20:1 club

There were no junior world records at the time, and no 5:1..etc offical world record club lists.

Hope that helps a bit?

John

Hi all, my first comment in the Penn section :), hello from Malaysia!

Reading this to find out what's wrong with the International II 12T that I'm working on, came in with a 5lb drag at Full just at free spool. Found this comment about reel designed for IGFA rating helpful. Now I understand what's up with it even when it's carbontex washer didn't look worn.

I was on a quest to beef up the drag. Saw that it's got a rather linear and passive profile drag cams, could it be that it has worn? Anyway what I did was took off the old carbontex and glued on a new one (1.5mm thick washer) and changed the Belleville configuration from ()() to (|))) with the '|' being a flat stainless M8 washer to compensate for the thickness loss from changing the configuration. Positive results, 16lb at Full just at free spool. I wonder if this is gonna cause the cam or the lever excessive wear now that I've read it's meant to be fished at 8lb max.

Gimme a few days I'd post another thread if anyone's interested to see the work done on it.

David Hall

I too thought there must be something wrong with my reel, I could not get more than 6-8 lbs of drag out of it.
Apparently it was designed for that but for the life of me I could not u derstand why anyone would send a reel to Cal to get a two speed conversion when the reel could only manage 8lbs of drag?  That part still doesn't make sense to me, why would you need two speeds at that low of a drag setting?  Well I decided to send it back to cal, I asked him to do the super 12 conversion on the drag, as a result now I can set strike up to 20lns and I have  40+lbs at full. 
I have totally destroyed the original design of the reel! Now it's really yellowfin worthy.

SoCalAngler

Good job David, now that you see what a professional reel mod guy can do with these older style reels just imagine if you have one of the state of the art reels made now a days. Sure they fish very good but in the hands of people like Cal and his son just think how that reel may feel better to you.