Ocean City 112 schematic

Started by basto, March 15, 2017, 05:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi guys
Anyone know where I can see a schematic for an Ocean City 112 please?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

Here you are, Greg --

76 year old schematic -- made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- just at the start of the War.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Hi Fred
Thank you very much for this. After what Michael said about the relationship between my Australian Surfmaster and Ocean City, my curiosity got the better of me and I bought a 112 today from USA of course. Should arrive in about a week.
cheers
Greg

BryanC

There is a small difference between the Ocean City clutch mechanism and that of the Australian Surfmaster.  With the OC, the clutch remains engaged with the pinion gear and engages/disengages itself from the spool when the mechanism is actuated.  With the Australian reel, the clutch remains engaged with the spool via a square shaft, and engages/disengages from the pinion gear when actuated.  It is really a minor distinction though.  Functionally they are the same.

basto

Hi Bryan
Yes, I noticed the difference on the schematic that Fred posted. They both look like good ways to do it.
Basto

basto

My Ocean City 112 arrived. Very nice reel. I like the 6 screw stand, like a PENN 99 or 2/0. Interesting saddled post . I will post more after I have taken it apart.
Basto

foakes

That is a clean looking OC 112!

Thanks for sharing...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basto

A few more pics.

I have spooled it up with some 30lb mono over some 50lb braid and look forward to fishing it.
Basto

Penn Chronology

Great reel. Sort of bullet proof. Weak link is the clutch engagement and disengagement; but that comes with wear and your reel is no where near that point.

When I was a kid, the old timers told me I would be fishing with these when I got older, that my Penn reel was not as good as an Ocean City.
             I guess Old Timers can't be right all the time...................... ::)

The first Bay City---Model 112 was in 1931, here is the presentation in the 1931 Catalog.

Gfish

Nice lookin ol' timer. The saddle post looks like it's for thumb access. What'sa line capacity?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

basto

Hi Michael
Thanks for your post. Very interesting.
cheers
Basto

basto

Hi Gfish
Yes, the saddle post has an indentation on the bottom which allows it to fit down on top of the lower post to hold it in position.
Line capacity looks like about the same as a Penn 85.
cheers
Basto

steelfish

I just got one identical to this but with some light corrosion on the the metal parts but nothing that bad.

the antireverse is not working, I havent opened up yet (got it 15 min ago on a flea market)
its there any clicking dog like small penns that make the antireverse work?

I can easily move the unique free spool lever in and out but the handle keeps going backwards.
The Baja Guy

basto

Quote from: steelfish on December 08, 2018, 07:37:21 PM
I just got one identical to this but with some light corrosion on the the metal parts but nothing that bad.

the antireverse is not working, I havent opened up yet (got it 15 min ago on a flea market)
its there any clicking dog like small penns that make the antireverse work?

I can easily move the unique free spool lever in and out but the handle keeps going backwards.

The dog spring can be seen in the middle photo. The dog is on the other side of the plate.
This arrangement actually makes it easier to assemble/take apart. Some 112 reels have the dog and spring together under the plate.