Corrosion X for Guns

Started by wfjord, March 16, 2017, 04:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

Is Corrosion X For Guns the same basic stuff most everyone is using on reels?  If not, will it work equally well?  I would like to find some that's in a non-spray bottle for mixing with grease.

https://www.zoro.com/corrosionx-corrosion-inhibitor-penetrant-lubricant-50010/i/G2242947/?gclid=CNDzyOSV2tICFdgHgQod08gI8Q#lightbox-Z1y-_wfo5oyJPG

Bryan Young

Quote from: wfjord on March 16, 2017, 04:31:50 AM
Is Corrosion X For Guns the same basic stuff most everyone is using on reels?  If not, will it work equally well?  I would like to find some that's in a non-spray bottle for mixing with grease.

https://www.zoro.com/corrosionx-corrosion-inhibitor-penetrant-lubricant-50010/i/G2242947/?gclid=CNDzyOSV2tICFdgHgQod08gI8Q#lightbox-Z1y-_wfo5oyJPG
I now use TSI301 and TSI321. Low residue and great protectant and lubricant b
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yes, same stuff, not sure of the concentration of the actual proprietary lubricant.  corrosion x has lower concentration of lubricant than does reel x.  not sure about corrosion x for guns, but the price should give you an idea. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wfjord

I was thinking I'd get some Corrosion X to try out, with the idea of mixing it with some heavier grease for use on the gears of my lightest baitcasters. I haven't found any locally, yet, but I did see the Corrosion X version for guns on a store shelf.

I just got a bottle of TSI-321 in the mail yesterday, for bearings and level winds, and was also wondering how well it would work for mixing a small amount of it with reel grease. 

Still trying to find some blue marine grease locally. Local marine centers & Yamaha dealers don't carry the Yamaha grease, but for me it's a toss up between that and the Penn Precision blue grease. Whichever I can get first in a convenient amount the quickest, and that appears to be the Penn.

Over the past 3 1/2 decades I've only been using old tubes of Penn lube along with light Shimano oil on all my reels --that is, until I started seriously researching lubricants earlier this year and now I'm obsessed with it.  I got some Cal's last week for my carbon washers.

I'm currently just trying to learn and get settled with the lubricants and washers.

exp2000

Quote from: wfjord on March 16, 2017, 06:35:24 AM
I was thinking I'd get some Corrosion X to try out, with the idea of mixing it with some heavier grease for use on the gears of my lightest baitcasters. I haven't found any locally, yet, but I did see the Corrosion X version for guns on a store shelf.

I just got a bottle of TSI-321 in the mail yesterday, for bearings and level winds, and was also wondering how well it would work for mixing a small amount of it with reel grease.  

Still trying to find some blue marine grease locally. Local marine centers & Yamaha dealers don't carry the Yamaha grease, but for me it's a toss up between that and the Penn Precision blue grease. Whichever I can get first in a convenient amount the quickest, and that appears to be the Penn.

Over the past 3 1/2 decades I've only been using old tubes of Penn lube along with light Shimano oil on all my reels --that is, until I started seriously researching lubricants earlier this year and now I'm obsessed with it.  I got some Cal's last week for my carbon washers.

I'm currently just trying to learn and get settled with the lubricants and washers.

I would not attempt to mix TSI with grease as these products perform in an antagonistic manner.
In fact the solvent in 301 is there to remove traces of grease.

You can buy CX grease and mix your own consistencies.

I abhor the new Penn Precision blue grease - it literally turns to concrete in the presence of seawater. No, I am not joking.

Corrosion X grease is an infinitely better choice and provides a compatible base for their fluid product.
~

wfjord

Those are good points to consider.

I haven't seen Corrosion X grease in any quantity less than the 15oz. tube for $20 and that's way more than I'd ever use in the rest of my lifetime. How stiff is it?

Are all Yamaha greases & lubricants marketed as Yamalube?  Most all the Yamaha lubrication products I've seen go by that name, and I seem to see a lot of versions of their marine greases on the internet, enough so that I don't know what I'd be getting. When I went to largest Yamaha boat motor dealer in my area, they didn't have it and seemed altogether confused about a "blue" Yamaha grease.

I've seen Cal's grease packaged into various smaller unmarked containers on ebay.  I wish someone who was fishing oriented would do that with Corrosion X Grease and Yamaha blue marine grease.

exp2000

You can buy Corrosion X grease in small tubs of various consistencies under the name of ReelX grease.

CXG is not quite as stiff as Yamalube plus you can roll your own viscosity by adding CX fluid.

I would sell my soul to get it for U$20. If only you knew what I pay for it here in Oz.  :'(
~

foakes

Quote from: wfjord on March 16, 2017, 03:37:12 PM
Are all Yamaha greases & lubricants marketed as Yamalube?  Most all the Yamaha lubrication products I've seen go by that name, and I seem to see a lot of versions of their marine greases on the internet, enough so that I don't know what I'd be getting. When I went to largest Yamaha boat motor dealer in my area, they didn't have it and seemed altogether confused about a "blue" Yamaha grease.

Needs to be Marine Grease -- that is about it.

I get mine from my local Marine place that is also a Yamaha Dealer.

Think it is around $9 for 14 ounces.  I just put it into my mini grease gun -- and also in a wide mouth jar on my bench with a cheap flux brush with the bristles cut short.

There are many lubes out there -- but since Alan turned me on to Yamaha Marine -- it is all I use because it works, stays in place, doesn't get stiff, mixes with TSI321 when necessary, resists salt, and washes out easily
when reservicing for a client a couple of years down the road.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wfjord

Thanks, you guys, for your responses, Bryan, Alan, Fred and exp2000 --I really appreciate your help! I'm getting a lot clearer on this stuff. The photos were very helpful, too, Fred. Nice shop!!

$20 CX was on amazon, plus US shipping, but not much good I guess for down under.

wfjord

I just located a marine/boat dealer about 15 miles away that has plenty of tubes of Yamaha blue grease for about $8 ea. After I get the lubricant issue behind me I'll probably need to start looking at bearing upgrades.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: exp2000 on March 16, 2017, 09:33:42 AM
Quote from: wfjord on March 16, 2017, 06:35:24 AM

Over the past 3 1/2 decades I've only been using old tubes of Penn lube along with light Shimano oil on all my reels --that is, until I started seriously researching lubricants earlier this year and now I'm obsessed with it.  I got some Cal's last week for my carbon washers.

I would not attempt to mix TSI with grease as these products perform in an antagonistic manner.
In fact the solvent in 301 is there to remove traces of grease.

You can buy CX grease and mix your own consistencies.

I abhor the new Penn Precision blue grease - it literally turns to concrete in the presence of seawater. No, I am not joking.

Corrosion X grease is an infinitely better choice and provides a compatible base for their fluid product.
~

TSI 321 has no solvent just lube but the 301 has a solvent and lube mixture. Mixing 321 with grease should not be a problem, though I don't mix my grease with lube.

exp2000

QuoteTSI 321 has no solvent just lube but the 301 has a solvent and lube mixture. Mixing 321 with grease should not be a problem, though I don't mix my grease with lube.

Ok. try this simple experiment.

Coat a piece of metal like an ABU sideplate with TSI and wait 15 minutes.

Now try applying some grease to that metal and see what happens.

Read up on TSI and learn how it works.

Trying to mix TSI with grease is about as productive as trying to mix oil and water.
~
`

SoCalAngler

Quote from: exp2000 on March 17, 2017, 12:47:33 AM
QuoteTSI 321 has no solvent just lube but the 301 has a solvent and lube mixture. Mixing 321 with grease should not be a problem, though I don't mix my grease with lube.

Ok. try this simple experiment.

Coat a piece of metal like an ABU sideplate with TSI and wait 15 minutes.

Now try applying some grease to that metal and see what happens.

Read up on TSI and learn how it works.

Trying to mix TSI with grease is about as productive as trying to mix oil and water.
~
`

You are talking about two very different things here. First no one mentioned applying TSI first then applying grease. Second there are two types of TSI with one containing a solvent and the other does not. Which one were you talking about? Both?  Lastly, the question was about mixing TSI 321 with grease, I don't do it but some on here do. I'm sure some of those people have done this to maybe 100's of reels with great effect or they would not have stated so in their posts. So are they wrong, or misguided?

exp2000

QuoteYou are talking about two very different things here. First no one mentioned applying TSI first then applying grease.
I did. I suggested it as an educational experiment. Perhaps you could produce a video and post it on here, showing how the two products interact.

QuoteWhich one were you talking about? Both?
Yes, both products contain the same base ingredient.

QuoteLastly, the question was about mixing TSI 321 with grease, I don't do it but some on here do. I'm sure some of those people have done this to maybe 100's of reels with great effect or they would not have stated so in their posts. So are they wrong, or misguided?

I am not here to do an autopsy on social media. I call it like I see it. You can take it or leave it.
But I do suggest you do your own research and experiments and draw your own conclusions.
Then at least you can say you own it.
~

David Hall

I use corrosion x for darn near everything, spray it on a rag and wipe down my guns, reel x for action lube,
And a very expensive benelli grease product for slides and heavy wear actions, it looks just like Cals?
Makes me wonder if they're jusrepackaging and raising the price.