Everol 12/0 no freespool

Started by skinnys98ta, March 16, 2017, 11:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnys98ta

I have rebuilt my everol 12/0 with a new carbon drag washer kit.  I have no free spool. I have removed springs as the new kit came with 3 more spring than I had originally.  I have even remove the thrust washer between the spool and side plate bearing.  Any help, ideas and input will be freshly appreciated. Thanks

Robert Janssen

Well, it probably isn't because of the springs; they should be of equal length. And you need the thrust washer, do not remove it. You can replace it with a thinner one though, if you like.

Beyond that, I don't know offhand. The drag washers should be of approximately equal thickness, both new and old. How much of the reel did you take apart?

-

skinnys98ta

Everything. Complete rebuild. 

Shark Hunter

Wow Skinny,
That reel looks Great.
I hope you can figure it out.
I love my Everol's, but I mainly have newer ones.
I wish I could be of more help.
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Yeah, that is a cool reel.
I presume you put the drag lever / cam screw back in the right way 'round. You would probably have noticed if it was off by 180°.
Some reels have a slight tweak to the tabs on the outermost tabbed drag washer, which allows just a wee bit more space between it and the inner disc. However, it also lessens the space between it and the outer disc
It is a fine line. It is hard to tell from here what might be off. What do you mean by no free spool-- as in locked up tight, or rubbing slightly?

skinnys98ta

I will double check the cam.   When the drag lever is all the way back there is tension on the spool.  It doesn't freely release  the line.  You have to pull pretty hard to get the line to pay out.  Thanks for the replies and comments about the reel. 

Robert Janssen

Yeah, do that. It is just a matter of removing the bridge, unscrewing the drag lever and screwing it in again, taking notice of where you began screwing it in. You'll figure it out.

Makule

Methinks it's an issue with the drag washers.  There are wires extending outwards of the washers that need to be bent to afford the proper amount of free play.  If these are not bent enough, the disks do not separate and you'll have drag even with the lever completely backed off.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

skinnys98ta

All is well now.  After some serious fine tuning.  The springs in my new drag kit were slightly taller and so were the springs on the punch holes on the first carbon washer.I used the original springs and still had to bend the tabs down for a little extra room.  Got plenty of drag and decent freespool. Thanks for the insight guys. 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!